The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kill or continue?

Idea threads

Fersko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Nov 3, 2018
I had some free time, and thought it was a good moment to refresh my coding skills. I wanted to build a micro SaaS / webapp kind of thing, and went for the first thing that popped up in my mind (in hindsight not the smartest thing to do, I know). I was looking for a website that could send me alerts when a deal popped up for a flight in a flexible date range far in the future, from my local airport. I couldn't find it, so I decided to build it myself.

Two weeks of full-time programming led into this:

For the tech enthusiasts:
I've used Firebase for my back-end service using the serverless google cloud functions. As well as the firestore and authentication service. For the front-end I used NextJS React Typescript. This was a good exercise to make me realize the power of this serverless architecture. It was crazy how easy the deployment was, definitely recommend for a MVP.

Anyways, while the technical gained knowledge from this project was very useful. I feel like I'm just building yet another skyscanner,... However, I've learned that when many companies exist around the same business model, it can be a sign of a working model. So, if I could get it to work I might have another side business. As, every flight that gets sold through my site I receive a 3% commission on. So my question is: whether I should continue this project or do you think this will not be feasible?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting, I think it is a good idea. Perhaps your app hasn't failed, but your marketing has. I would think this would be a hit for some folks.

bray

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jun 30, 2022
Utah
I think it is a good idea it solves a problem that many people have and it seems like it follows CENTS however there does seem to be some competition I think the product should have something that makes it stand out from the rest. I can also use google to look up flights so there needs to be something that is different and better than google for me to use your service.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.