The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kickstarter: Free Posts from Popular Magazine and Publications?

Marketing, social media, advertising

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Planning a Kickstarter now because I actually have an innovative idea. I was putting it off because I am currently building a another brand and was following the principle of focusing on one thing is better than having multiple projects. But realizing that focusing on one project for years, if one doesn't pan out, you are essentially empty handed. I got start this before someone else does. I have never felt this good about any of my other ideas.

So I have been compiling a list of all popular magazines and publications like: Tech Crunch, BuzzFeed, Hi Consumption, ABC News, Facebook Pages, Etc.

I am looking the price of sponsored posts and saw one magazine charging $2k for a post.

My perspective, I am providing their audience will valuable content (my invention). So they get free content and I get free exposure right? Or is it standard for pretty much everyone to pay up.

I have looked at other Kickstarters that have a ton of Features, do they pay up or some way managed to get a free post?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
My perspective, I am providing their audience will valuable content (my invention). So they get free content and I get free exposure right? Or is it standard for pretty much everyone to pay up.

Their perspective: we've got an audience of 1000s, limited editorial space and a surplus of people pitching us everyday.

You need them more than they need you.

If your invention is truly innovative and you've got a good story behind it you'll be able to get unpaid editorial space. You've got to show them why it's in their interest to give you a slice of their precious editorial space though.

P.S. Lower your eyes. Everyone wants TechCrunch, Buzzfeed etc. so it's a higher level of difficulty to get on there. Nothing wrong with super targeted niche outlets. Way easier to get cut through with them.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Their perspective: we've got an audience of 1000s, limited editorial space and a surplus of people pitching us everyday.

You need them more than they need you.

If your invention is truly innovative and you've got a good story behind it you'll be able to get unpaid editorial space. You've got to show them why it's in their interest to give you a slice of their precious editorial space though.

P.S. Lower your eyes. Everyone wants TechCrunch, Buzzfeed etc. so it's a higher level of difficulty to get on there. Nothing wrong with super targeted niche outlets. Way easier to get cut through with them.

Thanks for response. How is editorial space limited? It's the internet, there is virtually no limit. I can't imagine some of these kickstarter people paying these prices, since most people do kickstarter to build funds.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks for response. How is editorial space limited? It's the internet, there is virtually no limit. I can't imagine some of these kickstarter people paying these prices, since most people do kickstarter to build funds.

The internet is unlimited. An editor's time is not.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014

Like @SinisterLex said, it's not limited in the literal sense but in what an outlet can produce.

Lets say an outlet has 20 writers.
Each writer has to produce 3 pieces of content per day.
And they each get pitched 100 stories a day (this is realistic for big outlets).
That's 2000 pitches to go into 60 articles.
Now see how it's limited?

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Here's another perspective, just to help promote what the others are already saying here...

Pitch the low guys because:
  1. Easier
  2. Faster
  3. Cheaper
If your idea truly is revolutionary and picks up steam, you won't need to worry about TC, Inc, etc., because they'll be knocking on your door.

Yet another add value first, see results later.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Here's another perspective, just to help promote what the others are already saying here...

Pitch the low guys because:
  1. Easier
  2. Faster
  3. Cheaper
If your idea truly is revolutionary and picks up steam, you won't need to worry about TC, Inc, etc., because they'll be knocking on your door.

Yet another add value first, see results later.

I've just been spying on most campaigns and it seems that everyone gets featured by the big guys LOL

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
I've just been spying on most campaigns and it seems that everyone gets featured by the big guys LOL

Can you share the links to the campaigns you're talking about?

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
Can you share the links to the campaigns you're talking about?

Yeah, sure thing:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...raportable-footwear-shoes-design/x/15779517#/

The Everyday Backpack, Tote, and Sling

Gravity: The Weighted Blanket for Sleep, Stress and Anxiety

Amabrush - World's First Automatic Toothbrush - This one has a bunch I don't know

Plan B, If I don't get featured in any publication I guess I just need to rely on Kickstarter getting a post from Facebook Kickstarter Pages, FB Ads, Niche Forums. and maybe Google Display Ads,

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014

Those are 4 of the biggest campaigns of all time.

I bet if you find the corresponding articles on TechCrunch etc. they happened at big milestones (eg. 1,2,3+ million) not when they launched. I.e. they covered them after they did something newsworthy.

I'm all for being ambitious. And maybe you do have a mindblowingly newsworthy innovation. But working in PR I've seen too many people obsess over big outlets and overlook what's right in front of them.

Heck, I've seen people put everything into getting in Business INSIDERS. Finally getting coverage and guess how many sales they got.... ZERO. Not one.

If they'd put the same effort into getting 5-10 niche outlets with their exact target market they would have made sales no doubt. But featuring in a 50,000 visitor cat blog isn't as sexy.

It's flash vs cash PR.

And like @Yoda said, build enough momentum with the smaller guys, and the big guys will take notice.

Good luck with it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.