The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just started with ADOBE XD

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
Hey Team,
I just recently found ADOBE XD and was able to take my sketches to the computer. Although, I am still learning this software I have some questions in regards to APP designing. When I am designing my applications on the program, do I want to be as detailed as possible? For example, I have a Digital Media tab that will require permissions. Do I want to create that Permissions Screen so when you click on digital media the permissions will pop up prior to the digital media page for uploads?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

I am designing them for myself, then I will send them to the developer/programmer for final product
So, it sounds like you're *not* developing them for yourself, since they will be used to inform someone else's development efforts. So you should include as much detail as possible to avoid miscommunication.

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
So, it sounds like you're *not* developing them for yourself, since they will be used to inform someone else's development efforts. So you should include as much detail as possible to avoid miscommunication.
Thank you. I apologize if my terminology is off. I am still in the learning process, and I would fully agree. I was needing confirmation I suppose. Thank you again

Mike L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Nov 11, 2020
Hey Team,
I just recently found ADOBE XD and was able to take my sketches to the computer. Although, I am still learning this software I have some questions in regards to APP designing. When I am designing my applications on the program, do I want to be as detailed as possible? For example, I have a Digital Media tab that will require permissions. Do I want to create that Permissions Screen so when you click on digital media the permissions will pop up prior to the digital media page for uploads?
I would have an iterative process. Start with the UX flow and very basic layout (no fancy graphics yet). This way you map out the entire app and get a sense for how the user would experience it. By doing this you first get to know, is the idea complicated to use? Does it take a lot of unnecessary steps? Can I simplify? Etc. Broad stroke first, then you head in to more details as you solve the UX things. This steps is more about creating a good flow for the user rather than making it pretty.

Reason for it is that if you start with a lot of small details and spend a lot of time with details, once you change the UX you might need to redo the UI details. So doing broad strokes first you get a better perspective on the product as a whole.

That's my advice :)

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
I would have an iterative process. Start with the UX flow and very basic layout (no fancy graphics yet). This way you map out the entire app and get a sense for how the user would experience it. By doing this you first get to know, is the idea complicated to use? Does it take a lot of unnecessary steps? Can I simplify? Etc. Broad stroke first, then you head in to more details as you solve the UX things. This steps is more about creating a good flow for the user rather than making it pretty.

Reason for it is that if you start with a lot of small details and spend a lot of time with details, once you change the UX you might need to redo the UI details. So doing broad strokes first you get a better perspective on the product as a whole.

That's my advice :)
Thank you for your advice. I understand how that would work. Considering I have completed my basic App flow and some friends have felt that its very simple to move from page to page, should I now focus on the visual aspect of it? I dont think I can get any more simple or basic with what I need done in the APP. I am thinking about holding off on the logistical details such as pay systems and programming until I have a nice looking product that flows smoothly.

Opinions and suggestions are always welcomed! thank you

Mike L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Nov 11, 2020
Thank you for your advice. I understand how that would work. Considering I have completed my basic App flow and some friends have felt that its very simple to move from page to page, should I now focus on the visual aspect of it? I dont think I can get any more simple or basic with what I need done in the APP. I am thinking about holding off on the logistical details such as pay systems and programming until I have a nice looking product that flows smoothly.

Opinions and suggestions are always welcomed! thank you
I would say, UX -> UI (layout) -> Graphics...

But I would also say, get a working prototype out to really test the idea as early as possible. This before you invest to heavily on polishing it. One thing I've learned throughout the years is that friends are biased. So I would definitely test out the idea on your target demography in a small scale to get some initial feedback. When you know the idea works, start polish and invest more in tightening the product.

Sure a nicely made app with tons of animations and tight graphics is easier to sell. But the risk in a big investment like that is, it becomes very expensive if it's an idea that people aren't interested in.

another advice I can give to make it look nice without investing too much is utilize free design packages out there. Material.io for example.

So in your case that plan to hand it off to developers later, I would say, If you have a UX you feel good about, feel good about the layout.. then just use placeholder (or any available free packages) graphics when you hand that off to developers. You can always iterate on the graphics in parallel with development (if the graphics doesn't require unique logic, but for icons, colors etc this should work). then get a prototype working and test it on people I would say.

But yeah.. Now I'm assuming you have limited resources. If you have a huge budget and need that brand impact.. Then you can probably afford a bigger risk (I would probably still go with the first advice though).

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
I would say, UX -> UI (layout) -> Graphics...

But I would also say, get a working prototype out to really test the idea as early as possible. This before you invest to heavily on polishing it. One thing I've learned throughout the years is that friends are biased. So I would definitely test out the idea on your target demography in a small scale to get some initial feedback. When you know the idea works, start polish and invest more in tightening the product.

Sure a nicely made app with tons of animations and tight graphics is easier to sell. But the risk in a big investment like that is, it becomes very expensive if it's an idea that people aren't interested in.

another advice I can give to make it look nice without investing too much is utilize free design packages out there. Material.io for example.

So in your case that plan to hand it off to developers later, I would say, If you have a UX you feel good about, feel good about the layout.. then just use placeholder (or any available free packages) graphics when you hand that off to developers. You can always iterate on the graphics in parallel with development (if the graphics doesn't require unique logic, but for icons, colors etc this should work). then get a prototype working and test it on people I would say.

But yeah.. Now I'm assuming you have limited resources. If you have a huge budget and need that brand impact.. Then you can probably afford a bigger risk (I would probably still go with the first advice though).
Thank you VERY much.. I really appreciate the advice, suggestions and feedback. I am going to take some time to review all your suggestions and see where I can implement them in my process. You gave me a lot to think about and do. Thank you

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.