The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just Imported My First Sea Shipment: Here's what that process looks like

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
So I just imported (and delivered) my first sea shipment from China to the US. Before the shipment got here, I was nervous. I didn't really know what to expect, and assumed that the process would be really hard. I assumed that there were a lot of things I hadn't thought of, and that something would "pop up".

Turns out I was wrong.

The process was really straightforward, and actually pretty easy.

Hence, hopefully this thread puts some of you guys at ease and allows you take the plunge yourselves.

To start off, here's a picture of my costs. You'll see later how much product I had and get a feel for whether or not sea shipping is worth it for you:

CZR2SY4.png

I had my supplier refer me to a freight forwarder in China, and then had her refer me to a partner company in Chicago. I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting the best prices, but do think that the prices are more than fair. The freight forwarder handled all the paperwork -- which I'm told is the hardest part for a newbie.

As you can see, the bulk of my cost was duties. Then $326.28 in "filing fees", and $471.18 in "shipping". I can't complain.

So let's move on to how the shipment got here.

lgpfoZq.png

It was loaded in Shenzhen. Then went to California.

Once it arrived in California, it was put on a train to Chicago. Via train, it was delivered to a warehouse in a Chicago suburb. I had to drive out to pick it up in the suburbs. Here's the drive I made:

9QBxQq5.png

So an hour there, and an hour back.

I could've paid a truck to do all of this, but thought it'd be fun and worth the experience.

However, once I got to the address my freight forwarder gave me, I was instantly nervous. I was the only one there driving a van, and surrounded by trucks pulling in:

Sidenote: Chicago weather was beautiful today. Even took a bike ride after this was all done.
6pZwNyK.jpg

But when I got in, things got easier. There were signs pointing to where drivers check-in, so I went ahead and checked in:

qXeUfJN.jpg

A nice guy behind the door scanned my ID, checked me in, and told me to pull over to the side of Gate 37 where my shipment would be available. It took about 7 minutes to check in:

tFU6hkP.jpg

Once at the gate, I waited for the guy ahead of me to finish his shipment. When he was done, an employee came out, took my paperwork, and then came back with my shipment:

F97BWCM.jpg

That's 1.49cbm of product. To put that in relative terms, that's a van full of product:

Dv14b23.jpg

The nice guy that brought the packages out also helped me load them up into the van. Took us about 6 minutes to load 53 boxes. Then he had me sign a release paper and I was set to go.

All-in-all, including my weight, there were about 2,000 pounds in that van. Turns out that cars have a maximum load weight. The van I used had a max load of 1,400 pounds, so the drive home was a little weird. The car drifted right by itself, so I drove slow, and made it back safe and sound.

In conclusion: Importing isn't as bad as you'd think it is. Freight forwarders are pretty inexpensive. Picking up shipments is pretty easy. Overall, the process is fairly painless. I'll be importing a lot more in the future, and am extremely excited for how simple it really is (once you have a supplier).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ramble On

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jun 7, 2014
Thanks for this info! I am going to be trying my first import from China via sea in a couple of months. I have already gotten two quotes and the numbers look pretty similar to yours. Currently I am importing everything from the UK via air. Obviously hoping to reduce costs bringing it direct from the factory in China.

My shipment will come into Dallas which about a 3 hour drive from me. Given this I had them give me a quote to truck it to my location. One thing I learned during the process was to make sure the quote included delivery by a truck with a lift gate. I don't have a loading dock. I could just see an 18 wheeler pulling up to my house looking for a loading dock. That would have been interesting!

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
What is the advantages of sea freight vs air? When I first ordered from China it was via air, cost me $60 and was delivered to a local FedEx and that was that, no paperwork or anything

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What is the advantages of sea freight vs air? When I first ordered from China it was via air, cost me $60 and was delivered to a local FedEx and that was that, no paperwork or anything

You probably did not have an order that weighed over 100 lbs. my orders weigh over 10,000 lbs so you can't really send it by air.

MKAmsterdam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 8, 2013
Perfect timing, thank you!

I was just analyzing if it was worth it to take the sea-route, was having difficulties with getting a feel for how much CBM/cost is.

My forwarder estimated 2000$ Door to door (Shenzen-Washington) for 5 CBM, which I though was too expensive. Knowing that you guys have similair costs is a good insight.

Don't forget the chinese holidays,most factories stop producing between 10-20th of January, and stop sending a few days after. Best time to re-order is NOW!

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Thanks for the info, I'm considering going sea freight next order to save on costs.

I'm assuming from time stamps that from China to arrival in Chicago was 21 days. Is that right?

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Jealous of your freight costs to USA, and your local costs are really low, Lisbon airport / sea terminal is a rip off. I paid 300€ for local costs on a air freight shipment (excluding custom brooker fee).

I got an air freight last year of around 1.60 cbm too. Did Shanghai-Lisbon but will start doing Shanghai-Amsterdam-Lisbon, same price but no upfront VAT. Around 1000€, everything included (except VAT, if paid), chargeable weight is the volumetric weight, around 270kg. So glad my products are light weight :p

2015-04-22 19.45.362.jpg

Ajita

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 17, 2013
Florida
One thing I learned during the process was to make sure the quote included delivery by a truck with a lift gate. I don't have a loading dock. I could just see an 18 wheeler pulling up to my house looking for a loading dock. That would have been interesting!

One thing to check is the specific type of delivery truck it will come on. On a recent shipment I received (two pallets), I specified a truck with a lift gate so that it could be delivered to my residential address. I assumed this would be a box truck, kind of like what Lowe's uses to deliver appliances and stuff.

Turned out that it was a 53 foot semi with a lift gate...and at the last second they called me letting me know they couldn't take that truck into my little neighborhood (turns were too tight, trees too low, etc.). So I had to have them drop it at a different location nearby and bring it to my house in 4 trips with a packed Honda Civic :p

Ramble On

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jun 7, 2014
One thing to check is the specific type of delivery truck it will come on. On a recent shipment I received (two pallets), I specified a truck with a lift gate so that it could be delivered to my residential address. I assumed this would be a box truck, kind of like what Lowe's uses to deliver appliances and stuff.

Turned out that it was a 53 foot semi with a lift gate...and at the last second they called me letting me know they couldn't take that truck into my little neighborhood (turns were too tight, trees too low, etc.). So I had to have them drop it at a different location nearby and bring it to my house in 4 trips with a packed Honda Civic :p

Good to know. I also had it in my mind that it would be a box truck. I will definitely have to clarify this with them.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
@AgainstAllOdds Thanks for this. Looks really great and motivating.
If you dont mind I would like to ask a few questions, since I just imported my 2nd shipment (with air post).

Since there are a lot of goods, do you have a warehouse or do you sell these from home?
Do you sell on amazon and use fba, so do you unpack and relable part of the shipment and sent it to amazon?

I would really appreciate your answer.

Thanks.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ahh totally makes sense

BTW, a truck with a liftgate is about $150-$200 more than a truck without one. Also, delivering to a house is also way more expensive than delivering to a residential address.

I just got a bill here right in front of me so I'll post my costs:

1907lbs, 2.285 cbm

duties $217
customs entry service $75
ISF filing $35
Freight from LA to AZ $555.02
Shipping CIF from China to LA $450.00

So basically $1000 to ship from China to my warehouse, 2000 lbs

Man, your costs were cheaper than mine! And they shipped it all the way to Chicago. But it also depends on how close your manufacturer in China is to a port town.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@AgainstAllOdds
Since there are a lot of goods, do you have a warehouse or do you sell these from home?
Do you sell on amazon and use fba, so do you unpack and relable part of the shipment and sent it to amazon?

I would really appreciate your answer.

Thanks.

No. No warehouse. No selling out the home.

This shipment went straight from me picking it up to dropping it off with my client.

I literally pulled over to the side of the road, opened one package to check quality, and then made sure that the boxes didn't have factory info on them. Once that was done, I pulled up to my client's warehouse, unloaded all the boxes (with some help), and handed him an invoice. He handed me a check. An hour later he called and placed the next order.

But note: it took me 5 months of intense searching for suppliers and selling to get to this point. The prices I'm offering now are better than my client was getting when he was importing himself. So for him, it's a no brainer to pay a middle man like me. All my profit comes when I buy and negotiate.

Here's another post I made before. Samples are all you need to get started: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/all-you-need-are-samples.62635/. After that, bootstrap a van, and deliver the shipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the info, I'm considering going sea freight next order to save on costs.

I'm assuming from time stamps that from China to arrival in Chicago was 21 days. Is that right?

28 days. There's about a week of the freight forwarder figuring out which boat to put the shipment on, and filling out paperwork. The paperwork is mostly info communicated between the Chinese and American office, so it takes a few days for them to be on the same page. Also, some of that paperwork has to be filed before the shipment leaves. Therefore mandating a delay in your shipment leaving.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I was just analyzing if it was worth it to take the sea-route, was having difficulties with getting a feel for how much CBM/cost is.

My shipment was about 1.49cbm. So your shipment will be 3x the picture you see up top.

But don't calculate CBM/cost. Calculate:

Total cost/# of Units.

Then figure out if your margins accommodate your risk + time (how much you want to get paid).

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
My shipment was about 1.49cbm. So your shipment will be 3x the picture you see up top.

But don't calculate CBM/cost. Calculate:

Total cost/# of Units.

Then figure out if your margins accommodate your risk + time (how much you want to get paid).
This is a great story. Congratulations. It highlights the value of using a freight forwarder, without whose help such a shipment could be a nightmare.

I would prefer to use a forwarder local to me and get them to liaise with a correspondent forwarder in China. That could save some money because your local forwarder will (should) make sure you are not being hit for excessive inland charges in China.

In any case I would recommend getting at least 2, and maybe 3 quotes.

What @AgainstAllOdds is doing is similar to, but superior to Indent Selling. Those who are indent selling get paid a commission by the supplier, but AgainstAllOdds is able to decide his own margin and the supplier and the buyer only have his contact information, so his market is protected at both ends.

Walter

caezlar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Apr 11, 2014
HK,China
Chinese next spring festival is start from Feb -02 to Feb-15.

Perfect timing, thank you!

My forwarder estimated 2000$ Door to door (Shenzen-Washington) for 5 CBM, which I though was too expensive. Knowing that you guys have similair costs is a good insight.

Don't forget the chinese holidays,most factories stop producing between 10-20th of January, and stop sending a few days after. Best time to re-order is NOW!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Rep transferred, love seeing NEW GOLD!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Stats on @AgainstAllOdds

Roughly 3 likes per post.

I said elsewhere that the measure of value=posts to likes seems to be around 1:1

He's at 3/1 and this thread is an example of why.

Plus, you will see the results as forum rep tends to mirror real world rep as the forum tends to filter bullshit, just like the real world.

Well done. Show him some rep+ before he logs back in.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@Vigilante @MJ DeMarco Thanks for all the kind words!

It's because of this forum that I'm in a lot better place today than I was a year ago.

Also, I don't like posting progress threads before getting results, but will be creating one soon to share a few things and give value where I can. Hopefully I'll have something to report within a month.

stepstone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 28, 2015
SF bay area
So I just imported (and delivered) my first sea shipment from China to the US. Before the shipment got here, I was nervous. I didn't really know what to expect, and assumed that the process would be really hard. I assumed that there were a lot of things I hadn't thought of, and that something would "pop up".

Turns out I was wrong.

Hence, hopefully this thread puts some of you guys at ease and allows you take the plunge yourselves.

To start off, here's a picture of my costs. You'll see later how much product I had and get a feel for whether or not sea shipping is worth it for you:

CZR2SY4.png

I had my supplier refer me to a freight forwarder in China, and then had her refer me to a partner company in Chicago. I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting the best prices, but do think that the prices are more than fair. The freight forwarder handled all the paperwork -- which I'm told is the hardest part for a newbie.

As you can see, the bulk of my cost was duties. Then $326.28 in "filing fees", and $471.18 in "shipping". I can't complain.

lgpfoZq.png

Once it arrived in California, it was put on a train to Chicago. Via train, it was delivered to a warehouse in a Chicago suburb. I had to drive out to pick it up in the suburbs. Here's the drive I made:

9QBxQq5.png

I could've paid a truck to do all of this, but thought it'd be fun and worth the experience.

However, once I got to the address my freight forwarder gave me, I was instantly nervous. I was the only one there driving a van, and surrounded by trucks pulling in:

Sidenote: Chicago weather was beautiful today. Even took a bike ride after this was all done.
6pZwNyK.jpg

But when I got in, things got easier. There were signs pointing to where drivers check-in, so I went ahead and checked in:

qXeUfJN.jpg

A nice guy behind the door scanned my ID, checked me in, and told me to pull over to the side of Gate 37 where my shipment would be available. It took about 7 minutes to check in:

tFU6hkP.jpg

Once at the gate, I waited for the guy ahead of me to finish his shipment. When he was done, an employee came out, took my paperwork, and then came back with my shipment:

F97BWCM.jpg

That's 1.49cbm of product. To put that in relative terms, that's a van full of product:

Dv14b23.jpg

The nice guy that brought the packages out also helped me load them up into the van. Took us about 6 minutes to load 53 boxes. Then he had me sign a release paper and I was set to go.

All-in-all, including my weight, there were about 2,000 pounds in that van. Turns out that cars have a maximum load weight. The van I used had a max load of 1,400 pounds, so the drive home was a little weird. The car drifted right by itself, so I drove slow, and made it back safe and sound.

In conclusion: Importing isn't as bad as you'd think it is. Freight forwarders are pretty inexpensive. Picking up shipments is pretty easy. Overall, the process is fairly painless. I'll be importing a lot more in the future, and am extremely excited for how simple it really is (once you have a supplier).
Congrats!

I am in the middle of comparing suppliers for the product I plan to import. I have started to factor in freight cost in my cost calculation.

Just curious, by looking at your pics, the total volume seems to be way larger than 1.49 cbm. Are you sure it is not a typo?

Thanks.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Congrats!

I am in the middle of comparing suppliers for the product I plan to import. I have started to factor in freight cost in my cost calculation.

Just curious, by looking at your pics, the total volume seems to be way larger than 1.49 cbm. Are you sure it is not a typo?

Thanks.

Not a typo. Cubic meters are huge. 1.49cbm = 52.62 cubic feet.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Turns out I was wrong.

CZR2SY4.png

lgpfoZq.png

9QBxQq5.png

6pZwNyK.jpg

qXeUfJN.jpg

tFU6hkP.jpg

F97BWCM.jpg

Dv14b23.jpg

Bump

Vincent Law

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Nov 16, 2015
Lads,

Great thread. Really helps to see the specifics shown like this. Kind of soothes the jitters for first-timers.

But I have a question, sorry to derail, but since we're waiting for Againstallodds to report back...

Anyone with any experience importing from Russia?

Walter! I love your Gold Threads. I have almost finished devouring them all. Do you have any experience shipping out of Russia? With the rouble so weak now, I feel that I can make a killing on this apparel line I am designing.

(Or anyone else's input for that matter!)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Lads,

Great thread. Really helps to see the specifics shown like this. Kind of soothes the jitters for first-timers.

But I have a question, sorry to derail, but since we're waiting for Againstallodds to report back...

Anyone with any experience importing from Russia?

Walter! I love your Gold Threads. I have almost finished devouring them all. Do you have any experience shipping out of Russia? With the rouble so weak now, I feel that I can make a killing on this apparel line I am designing.

(Or anyone else's input for that matter!)
I have not imported from Russia, but I know the process is very similar to buying from any exporting country. I also know that finding suppliers there is not easy.

One of the official government websites can be used if you are very patient, but the best way is to contact your local Russian trade consul, (provided that is not a euphemism for local spy chief:D.) I can PM the best govt site link if you enjoy beating your head against a wall.

One reason I never persevered with Russia is that prices have never seemed very competitive. Even with the Ruble as low as it is currently, exporters appear to be quoting what I consider to be retail prices.

You could also find that red tape is a major obstacle, and that is partly due to sanctions.

If you get started and need help, let me know. I will do my best to help, even if it is a learning process for me.

Walter

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
It's been 2 months, so a quick update:
  • Went to China. Sourced a lot of product.
  • Paid a trucking company to deliver shipment #2 for me when I was gone. Cost $150 to deliver the shipment (about 1.4 cubic meters)
  • Have my #3 shipment coming next week -- 15 cubic meters!!
  • Just placed an order for my first full container! Shipment #4 -- 20 foot container! I'm scared, but excited.
I'll start a progress thread on the Inside soon, but first need to continue grinding.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.