The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just finished reading the book. Awesome read, thank you!

Erniel Pamintuan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 4, 2016
Mr. DeMarco

This is Erniel Pamintuan, I'm 44 and just finished reading the book. Thank you for writing it! I wish I had known about it in 2011 when it first came out. I appreciate the no-nonsense no bullshit tell it as it is style. I've read many books written by "gurus" on business, investing, etc., however, I found your book refreshing, honest, practical. Yes, they make money with those book sales while giving us misinformation that keeps up stuck in the Slowlane. Thank you again!

I joined this forum because I'd like to develop myself as an entrepreneur. I'm stuck in the Slowlane and want to transition from consumer to producer, however, can't seem to break through to the other side. I suppose I need insight on execution.

Prior to reading the book I was working on an invention, a sifting cat litter box that is easy to clean and affordable (having to deal with cleaning cat litter boxes myself). While reading the book I got the sense that I was on the right track for pursuing the development of this invention, however, I've hit a road block.

Although there is a similar product out there called the Luuup litter, customers are not happy with the performance of this product based on the reviews I've read. I believe my design is better, however, I don't know how to reach these dissatisfied customers and I'm hoping to get insight on how to do that or at least get this invention seen or noticed by the general public. I know a sifting cat litter box is not a sexy product, but I know it meets a need, i.e., eliminates the unpleasant time consuming activity of scooping cat poo. Here's a link to the invention: https://igg.me/at/sift-a-litter. (shameless plug).

I believe my design solves the problems others are having with cleaning a cat litter box, as well as, problems with the Luuup litter product. There is an obvious need for this product since people are buying it despite poor performance. I know marketing is key, however, I don't have the luxury of money at this point since I've been stuck in the Slowlane. What can I do to get noticed? Thank you again!

- Erniel

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
the difference as i see it is the size of the holes.
as a product it looks good. i as a cat owner would buy it .
you need to do a better job with your copy in order for people to fund you.
what is the real cost for the molds you need?

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Welcome to the forum!

Interesting to see you found the forum after choosing a product. I wish you well.

Some thoughts on getting your product noticed. Do you web search on how to run a successful campaign. I have read a few which gave many great pointers. Many of the things they discuss are pre-launch tasks but they still could help.

One other suggestion is to have someone rewrite your copy. It is clunky in some places and could use help.

Erniel Pamintuan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 4, 2016
Why do you think that? Not attacking you but the design looks the exact same.

Thanks for the response. On the surface the Luuup and the Sift-A-Litter (my design) seem to be the same since you lift and sift then stack. However, here's the difference:

1) Unlike the Luuup my design enables the user to lift, sift, toss, and stack without having to turn the tray 180 degrees. It's just a very natural flow to the process. When users forget to turn the tray on the Luuup, the litter spills to the bottom. My design eliminates this.

2) The higher side walls and privacy hood of my design does a better job containing the cat litter and prevents scattering especially when the cat is a digger. A lot of Luuup users complain about this because the spill guard doesn't do a good job.

3) Since my design is deep enough, you can fill it up with 4 inches of litter (about 20 - 25 lbs) which prevents clumps from getting stuck at the bottom. User of the Luuup underfill the trays because of spillage. Overfilling it causes more spillage.

If you compare other sifting litter products already in the market, I believe my simple design does a better job as well. Other products out there require you to transfer the cat litter from the pan to the sifting pan, sift, then transfer it back to the pan. My design eliminates these additional steps with 4 easy steps: lift, sift, toss, stack.

Erniel Pamintuan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 4, 2016
the difference as i see it is the size of the holes.
as a product it looks good. i as a cat owner would buy it .
you need to do a better job with your copy in order for people to fund you.
what is the real cost for the molds you need?

Thanks for the response. There are 3 molds. 1 for the privacy hood $70K, 1 for the sifting trays with 3 changeable inserts $75K, and 1 for the floor tray $25K. Total $170K, and this is the cheapest quote I could get (they are large parts). There rest of the funds will go to production, packaging, shipping, etc. If it does get funded it will cover the initial costs plus some left over money for a 2nd production run. Either that or hopefully get it into retail or online stores like Walmart or Amazon or Petco etc. It's just the initial cost that is a barrier to the pet care industry. Any suggestions on what I could delete or add to the copy to persuade people to fund the project? As a cat owner and one that has to deal with multiple cat litters I'd buy one right now if it were available in stores. This is the reason I designed this in the first place. Thanks again!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I don't think the copy is terrible. Just doesn't dig deep enough into the pain points (from a quick glance).

I almost bought the Luuup because I wanted this problem solved.

When I have to scoop shit (and that's what I call it by the way), here's what I hate:

1. The makemewanttovomit smell that literally burns holes in my nose and makes my eyes tear up.
2. The kitty litter dust I inhale when we run out of N95 respirators that probably causes cancer.
3. The chance I might get shit or litter on my hands even with rubber gloves.
4. I don't just have to dig, I have to scrape the sides and bottom of the box then dig for cat shit then shovel it into the trash bag.
5. I drip litter everywhere, usually all over the floor and also have to sweep afterward.
6. I'm shoveling shit.

Those are probably my top complaints. I don't remember why we didn't by the Luuup. I think maybe because it was too small, so that might be something else to consider. We have 3 cats so we either need a bigger version or have to buy more. Right now we use 2 litter boxes in the spare bathroom.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
i am glad he is not another wantrepreneur !
I know right! :)
If he succeeds with this, he could create a whole brand out of this!

@Erniel Pamintuan perhaps you could reach out to the disgruntled customers of that product you studied and offer THE better alternative? :)
And open a progress thread once things get rolling...I don't see a lot of stories on innovative pet-related products here.

Erniel Pamintuan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 4, 2016
I know right! :)
If he succeeds with this, he could create a whole brand out of this!

@Erniel Pamintuan perhaps you could reach out to the disgruntled customers of that product you studied and offer THE better alternative? :)
And open a progress thread once things get rolling...I don't see a lot of stories on innovative pet-related products here.

Thanks for the response. This is just it... Indiegogo doesn't allow you to contact other customers. I guess my main challenge is marketing, i.e., how did the Luuup market their product and create the hype that despite all these complaints, people just keep buying them. At this point I feel like my design has great potential, however, I got beat to the punch.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Are moulds really that expensive ?

Erniel Pamintuan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 4, 2016
Are moulds really that expensive ?
Hi Azure,
Yes, unfortunately they are. These are big parts 19" x 15" x 8" (sifting trays), the privacy hood is the same too. And although the floor tray is small, the mold still costs $25K. Reason being is that they are either made of aluminum or steel blocks that have to be machine cut and engineered in a way that cooling groves are incorporated into the mold etc. Unfortunately it can only be done via injection molding. I've looked into other ways like vacuum forming and the like but they tell me it can't be done. At this point I can see a market for it since a similar product with inferior design is in demand, however, it is difficult to predict what the market will actually do if I get to introduce this. There are other sifting litter boxes out on the shelves today, however, nothing works as well as my design does.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
That's an American company quoting you? Have you shopped around ?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome intro because you're doing something! Good luck with the invention.

Glad you enjoyed the book as well. Thank you for giving it a read. ;)

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Go on Cat Forums on the internet and absorb as much information as you can and try to get involved as well. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people on these cat forums. Propose your idea there or try to reach out to them and see what their response is.

I own a cat too so when you finally start selling your invention hit me up lol

Erniel Pamintuan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 4, 2016
Go on Cat Forums on the internet and absorb as much information as you can and try to get involved as well. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people on these cat forums. Propose your idea there or try to reach out to them and see what their response is.

I own a cat too so when you finally start selling your invention hit me up lol

Thanks for the response. I did go on a few cat forums and got a few responses, but nothing towards making a sale. If there's anything I learned from this experience is the importance of good marketing. Unfortunately you need to spend money in order to hire a marketing company to reach your audience. On the other hand, how does one conduct research for sales projections if I should go the route of traditional funding, i.e., via business loan? I know you'll need a good business plan and some way to show the lender that the business will be profitable. Where does one start? Thanks!

thinkandgrowrich

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Nov 29, 2016
Thanks for the response. I did go on a few cat forums and got a few responses, but nothing towards making a sale. If there's anything I learned from this experience is the importance of good marketing. Unfortunately you need to spend money in order to hire a marketing company to reach your audience. On the other hand, how does one conduct research for sales projections if I should go the route of traditional funding, i.e., via business loan? I know you'll need a good business plan and some way to show the lender that the business will be profitable. Where does one start? Thanks!

To be honest I wouldn't be the best person to answer those questions.

But understand that if your invention is actually good, there are millions of people out there looking for a product like yours without even being aware that such a thing exists or is of that quality.

In the US alone 30-37% of people own cats, that's almost a 100 million people. If you can make their lives easier somehow, and I've never met anyone who likes cleaning litter, then you will reach great levels of success. Even if your only able to touch a very small segment of that percentage. Good luck

Erniel Pamintuan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 4, 2016
Hello guys, thank you again for the responses. Need some feedback if anybody has any experience in getting a business loans for startups. The pet industry is a 4 billion dollar industry, and within that industry we have a young population ages 24 - 35 that mostly own cats. $280K is a lot of money but the potential is great. What are your thoughts? Thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...