The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just an observation. China economics.

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
I went to the Canton Import and Export Fair In Guangzhou China the other day. It’s the Super Bowl of the Trade Fairs. Its a huge complex filled with manufactures competing for your business. They will sell or make you anything. I mostly looked at sporting goods and equipment like bikes, kayaks, boats, etc.

Here are a few things I took away from the Fair.

1) The buildings, crowds, and setup was impressive. I felt like I was in line to watch the world cup.

2) No innovation whatsoever. Same old junk for sale and lots of it.

3) China is not nearly as cheap as it once was. I grabbed some prices and nothing really caught my eye. The product I once imported 6 years ago are double the price now and would be a waste of my time unless I bought the manufacturer and sold the product to others who are willing to take on such small margins. All the products I checked out were already on Ebay, Amazon, or in some cases I could buy a better quality USA made xyz for the same price or less than Wholesale China. Its almost as if China is the drop shipper for USA via Ebay. I think you all knew this already and I think I did too but this was my half a$$ effort to confirm it on a few products.

Keep in mind the Fair runs for 3 weeks for 3 or 4 times a year. I only spent 5 hours on one day and my experience is next to nothing in this industry.

My 2 Cents – Inflation is a killer. China Yuan is starting to take off. It is costing more to be Chinese and it is becoming more difficult for outsiders to walk in and make an easy buck off of their resources.

My Crystal Ball – Chinas Yuan gets even stronger and companies start looking for other places to make their goods, maybe back to the USA in some cases. It just seems hard to believe that shipping products from the other side of the world will always be cheaper than shipping from next door or in your own back yard. The world is flattening.
Oh, and when the Yuan is strong then the Chinese will be encouraged to buy the now less expensive but much higher quality products from the westerners. The Chinese love to show off their import cars like Fords, Buicks, and Porches. I have also seen some American Made Cannondale bikes here too. Maybe I have this all backwards.

And

If Trump was President he said he would tax the junk out of china imports unless they stop regulating the currency to make it way undervalued. Not getting political, Im just saying that things could be unrecognizable in just a short few years. I bet the middle east / Africa would love to take away a few jobs from China with their potentially new democratic unmolested society? And pigs might fly…..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Donald Trump as president?
Vote for me or else.........
donald-trump-fired.jpg

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Oh, haha I barely noticed the error.

Gonzosan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
May 10, 2011
A lot of people are worried about China taking over, but really they're just catching up. Sure it looks amazing how they're growing, but you have to remember that they weren't comparable to the US before then. It'll always look great when you compare something that is already strong to something that is weak and growing by the day. None the less eventually they'll (companies/manufacturers) will move out of China and move onto some other country willing to do the same. China might then be doing the same thing and having other countries produce for them. None the less I think it's a great thing to see these countries gaining speed. I lived in Japan for a while and I like the way they run things. I'd say 98% of everything in Japan is made by the Japanese. Cars, electronics, food. Everything and anything is made there, I remember hearing about how they really tax imported stuff. I know that's why you won't see a ton of imported cars there, hell I saw maybe 2 or 3 American cars my entire time there. Everything will eventually peak, I think when it all does finally happen quality will be the thing people look for the most.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I don't foresee the Middle East or Africa taking a lot of jobs anytime soon, they are far to politically unstable. Maybe in a few decades but not in the near future.

Also China is having quite a few teething problems, hopefully the PLA can keep the lid on all the poor peasants, if not the powers at be might just find themselves on the wrong side of a revolution.

Manufacturing seems to be shifting to southeast Asia, like Vietnam for example, and back to the US. Contrary to what the media reports were still a huge manufacturing powerhouse.

You also need to account for the higher energy costs were going to be paying from now on and going forward. Its not like it was 10-15 years ago, its no longer dirt cheap to ship stuff from the other side of the world.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Wow, I didn't realize we were talking about Trump for Pres in 2011! At least he followed through on this, lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.