The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Just A Dirty Maintenance Man

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
  1. Hi everyone! After reading MJ's books, the red pill has melted & is coursing through my veins. I was a guitarist for 20 years. You know, following my passion! Needless to say everyone and their cousin has a studio on their laptop or plays for free while I wanted to make a living at it. Clubs & bars always go with the free bands! The music market is saturated and I never got out of the endless tour of dumpy dive bars while scratching out a living.

After 4 years of, "following my passion" full-time, I now despise being in a band & left the music scene. It's taken me a while to even want to look at my guitar. So, I went back to work Monday through Friday as an apartment maintenance man. At the same time I was searching for the red pill because I felt something's wrong here. This can't be all there is.

Boom! Amazon recommends the Millionaire Fastlane to me. So, I buy it. To make a long story short, I started chasing value & built a website that trains apartment maintenance technicians. Also, I created a YouTube channel where I film how to make every kind of repair that maintenance guys will face out in the field. And, I posted links to where they can purchase the tools that I use in my videos that make the job easier.

So, I've planted a money tree that works for me 24 hours a day. When someone buys a tool from my links, I get a cut of the action. When an ad plays on YouTube, I get a cut of the action. When they click on an ad on my website, I get a cut of the action.

The feedback loop has been amazing with praises & accolades from maintenance guys & property management companies all over the world. After reading your book, I found a market that's not sexy or popular. The dirty maintenance man market. It's been up & running for 3 years & it's now consistently producing $1,000 a month. While I sleep, eat, & vacation. And although it's from adsense & affiliate marketing, I'm working on creating something with more value that I totally control.

When the scripted anonymous basement dwellers started piling in and leaving nasty comments, I knew I was on to something big. MJ thank you so much. And I wish I could write you a millionaire success story. But, you have no idea how much an extra $1,000 a month means to me. And it all started from a seed you planted.
    Thank you,
    Lex Vance

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Bekit

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
  1. Hi everyone! After reading MJ's books, the red pill has melted & is coursing through my veins. I was a guitarist for 20 years. You know, following my passion! Needless to say everyone and their cousin has a studio on their laptop or plays for free while I wanted to make a living at it. Clubs & bars always go with the free bands! The music market is saturated and I never got out of the endless tour of dumpy dive bars while scratching out a living.

After 4 years of, "following my passion" full-time, I now despise being in a band & left the music scene. It's taken me a while to even want to look at my guitar. So, I went back to work Monday through Friday as an apartment maintenance man. At the same time I was searching for the red pill because I felt something's wrong here. This can't be all there is.

Boom! Amazon recommends the Millionaire Fastlane to me. So, I buy it. To make a long story short, I started chasing value & built a website that trains apartment maintenance technicians. Also, I created a YouTube channel where I film how to make every kind of repair that maintenance guys will face out in the field. And, I posted links to where they can purchase the tools that I use in my videos that make the job easier.

So, I've planted a money tree that works for me 24 hours a day. When someone buys a tool from my links, I get a cut of the action. When an ad plays on YouTube, I get a cut of the action. When they click on an ad on my website, I get a cut of the action.

The feedback loop has been amazing with praises & accolades from maintenance guys & property management companies all over the world. After reading your book, I found a market that's not sexy or popular. The dirty maintenance man market. It's been up & running for 3 years & it's now consistently producing $1,000 a month. While I sleep, eat, & vacation. And although it's from adsense & affiliate marketing, I'm working on creating something with more value that I totally control.

When the scripted anonymous basement dwellers started piling in and leaving nasty comments, I knew I was on to something big. MJ thank you so much. And I wish I could write you a millionaire success story. But, you have no idea how much an extra $1,000 a month means to me. And it all started from a seed you planted.
    Thank you,
    Lex Vance
Great story! Congrats on your success and welcome to the forum.

How many hours would you say it costs you to "water your money tree" (i.e. post new videos etc.)?

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Great story! Congrats on your success and welcome to the forum.

How many hours would you say it costs you to "water your money tree" (i.e. post new videos etc.)?
In the beginning, it would take 2 or 3 hours to do a video. Now days, about 45 minutes. I had to teach myself how to edit videos and do tags & SEO for search engines & things like that. Blog post can take me 3 days to a week though. Even today blog posts take 3 days to a week. Tweeking & editing the writing is time consuming. With 2 little kids & a wife, it was rough. There were nights I was bouncing a baby on my knee while editing videos.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Sep 30, 2018
What an intro! Welcome to the forum. You sure didn't waste any time time taking action once you figured it out. I'm glad your extra efforts are paying off for you.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Do you have a video on how to use a tap & die? I need to get a screw out of the drain in our master shower..... and, of course, I'll be sure and use your link to the tool if you have a video. :)

David 964

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 10, 2019
Los Angeles
Hello Lex,

What a decision to stop following your musician dream and start a job, then working on your business. Great to hear about it. I anticipate you building CENTS business. In my business I focused only on financials in the beginging and forgot about other aspects of business such as control, time, scale. You seem to focus in right direction and building strong foundation. Well done this will be beneficial later.

Best of luck to you.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA

Thank you,
    Lex Vance
Outstanding Lex! Congrats. Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Hello Lex,

What a decision to stop following your musician dream and start a job, then working on your business. Great to hear about it. I anticipate you building CENTS business. In my business I focused only on financials in the beginging and forgot about other aspects of business such as control, time, scale. You seem to focus in right direction and building strong foundation. Well done this will be beneficial later.

Best of luck to you.
That's was tough. As an artist you always think there's a break coming if I just hold on. What if I stop right before I was about to hit pay dirt. That's the lie all artist tell themself while playing in front if no one. Lol! Then I heard Jim Rohn say, "Sometimes you need to look for another acre to plow in if the one You're plowing hasn't grown a crop in 3 years." After I heard that, I was ready to move on.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Good story... as a rental property owner I can confirm there is a vacuum of skilled handymen. Too many people just hack something together and call it good.
Yep! I see it everyday. I had no idea there was a market for this. I just threw it against the wall to see if it would stick. Sure enough, it stuck! LOL! I get emails from handymen & techs from all over the world thanking me for making them better. Unbelievable!

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
@SteveO would find your story interesting as he's the the forum's king handyman.

@Lex Vance -- Honored to have you here. So awesome to hear you're witnessing first hand the power of what we teach. Great things await my friend...

Welcome!!

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
@SteveO would find your story interesting as he's the the forum's king handyman.

@Lex Vance -- Honored to have you here. So awesome to hear you're witnessing first hand the power of what we teach. Great things await my friend...

Welcome!!
Awesome! Thank you for all you do MJ! Your Books slapped me across the face like a stripper swinging a wet fish at a bachelor party.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Yes. Very cool.

I ran across repairs all the time that required a "you-tube" video. It is all out there!

Great job.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Yes. Very cool.

I ran across repairs all the time that required a "you-tube" video. It is all out there!
Yes. Very cool.

Great job.
Great job.
Right on SteveO! Heres my channel if you want to check it out.
Lex Vance

Last edited:

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Haha this is my kind of thread! I also shamelessly use my pig-sticker ( keyhole saw) for all kinds of crap it wasn’t intended for. I’m all up in the maintenance world too - day job is running Facilities Maintenance for City of Virginia Beach, and I came up in construction and eventually maintenance management. Awesome man, glad to have you around!

@SteveO - king eh? ::mortal combat music::

:bicep: :fist: :fistbump:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
Haha this is my kind of thread! I also shamelessly use my pig-sticker ( keyhole saw) for all kinds of crap it wasn’t intended for. I’m all up in the maintenance world too - day job is running Facilities Maintenance for City of Virginia Beach, and I came up in construction and eventually maintenance management. Awesome man, glad to have you around!

@SteveO - king eh? ::mortal combat music::

:bicep: :fist: :fistbump:
Well.... Not the king but, lots of experience. MANY apartment rehabs in and out. Started off in construction and then became a plumber. Went to work for HP and spent many years there. I built prototypes for the engineering group. Became a supervisor of maintenance and test technicians for a number of years. Gave it up and went into apartment rehabs.

Certainly have done my share. You can have the title though. :)

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Well.... Not the king but, lots of experience. MANY apartment rehabs in and out. Started off in construction and then became a plumber. Went to work for HP and spent many years there. I built prototypes for the engineering group. Became a supervisor of maintenance and test technicians for a number of years. Gave it up and went into apartment rehabs.

Certainly have done my share. You can have the title though. :)

Super cool man, and that’s quite a shift prototyping for HP in the midst of it. My maintenance experience has been municipal, construction was mostly residential woodworking, general construction was in the teenage years. Rep+ just because :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
This year has been quite crazy so far, and a lot of people have reached out to ask me if web...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom