The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Journey to freedom

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
Hello everyone,

I'm Ziggy, 30 years young from the Netherlands. Quit my job couple months ago after working for 5 years and at the moment travelling in New-Zealand.

I was a health&safety advisor working for a big company in the oil&gas business. I had a good contract for my beliefs but hated the lack of freedom of a fulltime job. There must be a other way.

I saved some money and decided to travel. Now I have plenty of freedom to do what I want but it will not last. I started reading books and articles on the internet about things that can help me improve my skills and health. Very interested in health and nutrition. Healthy body, healthy mind.

At the moment I'm still reading MLF and I'm halfway now, but it inspired me to step up the game. I'll like to create true freedom for my self so I can live the life I want to live.

This can be achieved by setting up a company which eventualy generates passive income. Not sure yet what kind of a company but that will be the aim. Keep looking for business oppurtunities during the time I'm awake and study successfull stories.

I always had a dream to run my own bar, but I see now that it will take all my time to run it and don't create freedom. Unless I have people working for me but than it still needs a lot of my attention.

As you can read I just started my
journey towards the fastlane and have a lot to learn. But thats the only way I guess. Keep learning and adjusting till you're there.

Looking forward to absorb all the usefull information on this forum and participate in the community.

Thanks for having me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ahh, so a trip to NZ was your ah-ha moment?

I'll like to create true freedom for my self so I can live the life I want to live.

Don't underestimate how nice it is to just have a self-sustaining business that creates your own autonomy. It doesn't necessarily need to create passive income, but your work itself is initiated, scheduled, and directed by you.

Welcome to the forum.

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks for the reply MJ DeMarco. I wanted to get away from the Netherlands because of some negative aspects at that time and I was familiar with NZ. I knew it would give me the space and rest I was looking for.

I can totally imagine what you are saying about doing the work for your own company. My ex had a company and I experienced from closeby. Every effort you put Into it is for yourself. Even the less fun parts are better when you know it's for your own good.

Looking forward to it.

Koen_88

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 6, 2017
Netherlands
Good Luck on your endeavour, I'm having the same feelings (but only after working 2.5 years). I have a good paid job (relative to my peers) as an project/mechanical engineer.. But the lack of freedom and a feeling of: this can't be it for the rest of my working life? is what got me googling financial independance fora and now the book and this forum.

As both dutch newbies to the forum and book maybe we can spar sometimes via private message here on the forum.

"Groeten" from the Netherlands,

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
I always had a dream to run my own bar, but I see now that it will take all my time to run it and don't create freedom. Unless I have people working for me but than it still needs a lot of my attention.

Don't underestimate how nice it is to just have a self-sustaining business that creates your own autonomy. It doesn't necessarily need to create passive income, but your work itself is initiated, scheduled, and directed by you.

Not to mention a bar can be FASTLANE if you franchise it - and that's a market that could definitely use some improvement. Most bars currently suck. Here's a quick article that points at some of the main reasons: http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/secretly-hate-bars.html

As to it taking your time, ANY business will (initially, at the very least) demand your time and attention, but MOST businesses can be successfully sold for a big money exit. Even businesses that are heavily dependent on human resources. MJ did a great thing by highlighting the potential setbacks of those business models in MFL, but don't make the mistake of cutting them out as an option for that reason. There are BILLION dollar empires that function as some variation of that model: McDonald's, Walmart, Boston Pizza, etc. A bar franchise might be the perfect thing. But don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
Not to mention a bar can be FASTLANE if you franchise it - and that's a market that could definitely use some improvement. Most bars currently suck. Here's a quick article that points at some of the main reasons: http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/secretly-hate-bars.html
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/secretly-hate-bars.html

I think this article is a bit over the top, but I agree that the quality of bars and restaurants could use some improvement. Especially the service and attention in restaurants can be improved. Most of the time the staff exists of young people without a training in hospitality or experience. They don't know how to interact with the guests or make them feel comfortable. People go to restaurants to have a nice evening and have some good food. They like to feel a little bit special. Good staff members can do this. Even if the food is taking a little bit longer, when the staff is able to comfort the guess, everyone will leave happy. It can be simple, but most of the time I see staff members rushing around the place just to get the food and drinks on the table without any interest in the guests.

As to it taking your time, ANY business will (initially, at the very least) demand your time and attention, but MOST businesses can be successfully sold for a big money exit. Even businesses that are heavily dependent on human resources. MJ did a great thing by highlighting the potential setbacks of those business models in MFL, but don't make the mistake of cutting them out as an option for that reason. There are BILLION dollar empires that function as some variation of that model: McDonald's, Walmart, Boston Pizza, etc. A bar franchise might be the perfect thing. But don't take my word for it.

I believe you can franchise a good concept for a bar/restaurant, but it needs a "big" investment in the beginning. You want to have a good spot, renovate the building, decorate the building, hire staff, permits, etc...
After that you need to make sure that all the franchises are being operated the way you want to.

In my opinion it's a high risk to turn a restaurant/bar into a fastlane. You would rather start it from passion.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
In my opinion it's a high risk to turn a restaurant/bar into a fastlane. You would rather start it from passion.

It's up to you my friend. I've got my own thing to work on. It sounds like you're trying to come up with reasons NOT to do it. What if you tried the opposite?

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
It's up to you my friend. I've got my own thing to work on. It sounds like you're trying to come up with reasons NOT to do it. What if you tried the opposite?

What is your experience with bars/restaurants? Do you own one?

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
What is your experience with bars/restaurants? Do you own one?
No. I've only ever worked in one and I watched how it failed. My experience is irrelevant. The important thing here is that you see a problem, you see how you could improve it, but you're disqualifying it before even trying....why?

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
The important thing here is that you see a problem, you see how you could improve it, but you're disqualifying it before even trying....why?

because at the moment I try to find a better/faster/cheaper/ way to get into the fastlane. like I said, to start a restaurant/bar will probably cost all my savings and even more.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
because at the moment I try to find a better/faster/cheaper/ way to get into the fastlane. like I said, to start a restaurant/bar will probably cost all my savings and even more.

You know what bro, you seem like you've got your head in the right place, and I'd love to work with you. I've actually got an AMAZING Fastlane business seed that just needs a little bit more work and I think you'd be the perfect guy to work with - all it needs is a tiny bit more cashflow to get it going - $250 and we're in business. Are you in? If so, PM me and I'll send you my paypal info, and we can go from there.

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
You know what bro, you seem like you've got your head in the right place, and I'd love to work with you. I've actually got an AMAZING Fastlane business seed that just needs a little bit more work and I think you'd be the perfect guy to work with - all it needs is a tiny bit more cashflow to get it going - $250 and we're in business. Are you in? If so, PM me and I'll send you my paypal info, and we can go from there.

what is this? I said something wrong? I don't understand why you're so upset, maybe you can help me. it's not oke to think about more ideas before setting off? I have to go head first on my first idea?

thanks for your advice!

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
what is this? I said something wrong? I don't understand why you're so upset, maybe you can help me. it's not oke to think about more ideas before setting off? I have to go head first on my first idea?

thanks for your advice!

I'm not upset, I was just playing with you because I wanted to highlight a point. You seem to be looking for 'the magic lamp' or the 'golden carrot'. Ever hear the expression "The grass is always greener"?

You're right that you should think about ideas. Sure. But don't be quick to DISQUALIFY ideas just because they don't fit your preconceived notions about what is 'too hard' or 'too slow' or 'too expensive'. The fact is, the bigger those barriers to entry are, the more protected your business becomes from competition. And looking for something 'easier' is a sure path to building a POS business that goes nowhere.

Don't focus on what's 'better', 'faster' or 'cheaper'. Focus on creating VALUE. I'm currently writing a novel for example. I could pump out maybe a novel a week if I wrote the kind of garbage that fills up the Kindle store. Here's a plot for example: Angsty teen discovers that he is a werewolf, and tries to juggle his new identity as a slayer of demons with his life at highschool and his crush on Cindy, the captain of the cheerleading squad.

No, not in a million F*cking years, even though it would be fast and easy to write. Why? BEcause there's a million books like that and they all suck. Twilight is a fluke - an exception that happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right backing (marketing). Now, there are thousands of jackasses writing crap like that.

No, my novel might take me over a year, maybe several to finish, and it's going to be gold. I'm not concerned with hitting the best seller list two weeks after I launch - I'm concerned with writing a novel that will continue to sell long after I'm dead. But that will require effort, time, money. You see what I mean?

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Hello @Ziggy,

Again... Welcome at this forum.

How is your trip in NZ so far? Do you still enjoy it?

My sister went to Australia and Tasmania this year. She had a wonderful time!

As you can read I just started my journey towards the fastlane and have a lot to learn. But thats the only way I guess. Keep learning and adjusting till you're there.

Exactly, keep coming back! You will find what you need here.

Ciao,

Marek

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
You're right that you should think about ideas. Sure. But don't be quick to DISQUALIFY ideas just because they don't fit your preconceived notions about what is 'too hard' or 'too slow' or 'too expensive'. The fact is, the bigger those barriers to entry are, the more protected your business becomes from competition. And looking for something 'easier' is a sure path to building a POS business that goes nowhere.

Don't focus on what's 'better', 'faster' or 'cheaper'. Focus on creating VALUE.

Thank you for the clarification and I understand what you mean with the bigger barriers. I'm not disqualifying my idea about the cafe/restaurant. It has been in my head for a long time and actually it's time to put it on paper. But besides that I will keep working on more ideas.

A question about a POS business. What if I want to start running an ice-cream truck? Low barriers and everyone can do that. But what if I can manage to run multiple trucks on festivals, markets and events around the country? I can build a brand and attach people to it. I can use social media for marketing, deals and reach a big group of people. I can be the most popular ice-cream trucs on festivals and go international. What do you think?

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Thank you for the clarification and I understand what you mean with the bigger barriers. I'm not disqualifying my idea about the cafe/restaurant. It has been in my head for a long time and actually it's time to put it on paper. But besides that I will keep working on more ideas.

A question about a POS business. What if I want to start running an ice-cream truck? Low barriers and everyone can do that. But what if I can manage to run multiple trucks on festivals, markets and events around the country? I can build a brand and attach people to it. I can use social media for marketing, deals and reach a big group of people. I can be the most popular ice-cream trucs on festivals and go international. What do you think?

Start selling your first ice-cream. And ask @IceCreamKid for some advice on that :)

Ziggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 26, 2017
Netherlands
Hello @Ziggy,

Again... Welcome at this forum.

How is your trip in NZ so far? Do you still enjoy it?

My sister went to Australia and Tasmania this year. She had a wonderful time!

Thanks Marek, actually I just got back to the Netherlands to spent some time with friends and family. Besides that I like to work on my ideas and talk with people. Australia was on my list for after the summer, but I'm not sure now. I don't know if I want to spent money on another trip or used it wisely for my ideas. It will be a great adventure again I'm sure, but maybe it's good to have some financial space. What do you think?

Exactly, keep coming back! You will find what you need here.

I will!

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Thanks Marek, actually I just got back to the Netherlands to spent some time with friends and family. Besides that I like to work on my ideas and talk with people. Australia was on my list for after the summer, but I'm not sure now. I don't know if I want to spent money on another trip or used it wisely for my ideas. It will be a great adventure again I'm sure, but maybe it's good to have some financial space. What do you think?

Welcome home!

If I were you, I should focus on creating a business.

However, when you have too many financial space, it is easy to fall in the trap of "tomorrow".

It becomes easy to just do nothing and only "think" about business, what you've been doing so far.

Get out there, ignite execution!

P.S. You're 30 right? This is your last year you can apply for a working holiday visa in Australia. If you don't know yet what to do, I would do that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...