The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jon's Big Idea

Idea threads

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
So, I'm sitting in B & P watching 50 motivated intelligent people making an investment in themselves and I start to wonder. Somehow we got all these folks together to give up a long weekend on their own dime with the promise/hope that their benefit would out weigh their sacrifice to attend. The talent and unfulfilled potential in that gathering was amazing not to mention that of the members in this community at large.

What could have happened if one of our "players" or even MJ himself had stepped up and pitched an incubator idea? What if said player said "I'm forming an LLC and can take on any number of accredited investors and only 35 normal people. Cost of entry is 10K (or even20k)." How many would have injured themselves to whip out the checkbook or CC? 350k+ almost instantly.

I would have fought to have been within that 35 number. Within this community we have the resources and talent to create several of these groups.

I mentioned within my military thread that I was successful because of good military mentors and that I had struggled with business mentors. I see some real business talent here. We can team up and create big things. The successful can help others directly, some of the not yet successful can learn by doing.

So, a challenge. Who want's to help me start a business incubator LLC?
Or, if need be, who wants to start one without me?

I have almost know idea about how to do this, but I'm certain that it can be done.

I need a nap now.

jon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think your idea would be successful. I have exactly 0 time to commit to it at this time… But I hope that you accomplish that because I think you will find success. If you build it… They might come…

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You knew I was expecting you to reply didn't you? :)

I think your idea would be successful. I have exactly 0 time to commit to it at this time… But I hope that you accomplish that because I think you will find success. If you build it… They might come…

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am sure though that I would be available on an "as-needed" basis for your group.

However, I think you should recruit specific members as a means of getting the group together.

Less emphasis on $$ (as at least one member of the groups expertise IS raising cash).

Put the skill sets in one basket (like a menu). Each group member gets the same % equity. If you have a 20 person group, each gets 1/20th equity in the incubator.

Then, the incubator takes on projects that the majority deems worthwhile.

I suppose some degree of starter capital is needed, but you need to refrain from publicly organizing on the forum with regard to the equity discussions. You can't legally raise private equity by solicitation (at least publicly).

So... take the money discussion part off line, and focus on the skill sets of the team. Look at it like a football team. You need 22 players that each have their own area of expertise to lend to the team.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Also, you have been thinking about this since February.

It's been on your mind. Chances are --- you can make it happen.

So --- make it happen. You probably just need to drive it enough to lend structure to it.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
About an hour after posting I remembered MJ shutting down a thread or 2 about solicitation. So, yeah I'll be sensitive to that point.
This thread and the other one is not about money. I can find what I can't fund.

The first thread was about our short conversation. This one came from a guy pitching me a REI LLC idea. His idea got me thinking. There's more talent and good attitude here than the "other guy" has on his team. And, ideas beyond REI.

I don't need this project at this point in my life other than for the challenge.

I am sure though that I would be available on an "as-needed" basis for your group.

However, I think you should recruit specific members as a means of getting the group together.

Less emphasis on $$ (as at least one member of the groups expertise IS raising cash).

Put the skill sets in one basket (like a menu). Each group member gets the same % equity. If you have a 20 person group, each gets 1/20th equity in the incubator.

Then, the incubator takes on projects that the majority deems worthwhile.

I suppose some degree of starter capital is needed, but you need to refrain from publicly organizing on the forum with regard to the equity discussions. You can't legally raise private equity by solicitation (at least publicly).

So... take the money discussion part off line, and focus on the skill sets of the team. Look at it like a football team. You need 22 players that each have their own area of expertise to lend to the team.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Since long before February. But, some obstacles have been over come since then.

Also, you have been thinking about this since February.

It's been on your mind. Chances are --- you can make it happen.

So --- make it happen. You probably just need to drive it enough to lend structure to it.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Let me try some background...

When I started affiliate marketing I remember thinking, "Damn, I'd pay someone 4 or 5k to teach me how to build a site that actually made a little money" never found that guy. Never found someone that I felt that I could trust. Never figured it out. Never made much money.

Some time later I joined a private forum of coders. Not quite black-hat but really dark gray. I got picked on a little because I refused to learn code. Anyway, there was a ton of raw talent there with little leadership. It seemed like such as waste because no one was pulling these guy's together. I didn't have much credibility not being a coder so I could only watch as the group slowly dissolved. Also, by that time money was growing tight for us.

How here is a goldmine of talent. Mostly sincere entrepreneurs. The riff raff leaves pretty quick around here. A large handful walking the walk and sharing their knowledge. A few with resources holding back. A few trying mostly bootstrapping and moving pretty slowly sometimes. And, a lot mostly watching.

Seriously people, the untapped power within this community is amazing.

More money than you might imagine.
More good ideas than be acted upon.
More leaders than even I have witnessed. And, I've known many.
Engineers
Coders
SEO'ers
Marketers
Sales pros
Every f'n thing in spades.

This group could launch a business a month and with growth sustain that rate for who knows how long.
It hurts my head to think about the potential and my heart to see it languishing.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT SOLICITING MONEY.

To paraphrase Z, if your good the money will find you. This is about trying to harness some of the power here.

So, what would make me happy?

Share!

Share your ideas. Share your thoughts. SHARE DAMNIT!

JudoTom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 3, 2013
Scranton PA
Money is not the issue IMO

Time - Many people on this site are very busy
Direction - Getting 20 people to agree on something is very difficult

If you could find like 3-5 very respected members to commit a few hours per week that would help. Get them to decide on projects, direction, resources, goals, etc

1 project manager per project. Let that person pick the team
3-10 person team per project reporting up to the project manager

I could see something like that working.

Good luck.

JonathanUK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 28, 2013
London, England
I understand that the Rockefellers did it by having a son on every continent. Anyone needs a point-man in London, England, I'm interested.
I've run my own bricks n mortar business with moderate success since the 80's. I'm 48, and my ex-wife reduced me to almost nothing financially.
The context of THAT is, I'm *really* motivated. :) I do have some time, and I want to really work again. So, yeah. deal me in.

D

DeletedUser2

Jon,

be a leader, Pick a direction, tell us what your doing, solicit experts to help. tell us when to show up for a skype meeting, tell us the goals, tell us teh structure,

ask for advice as needed (just in time advice)

lay out a plan.

get everyone on the team you setup, to agree to it. or at least agree to go along for the ride.

set a schedule
hold people accountable

define how much money you would need, determine its best source

go get it.

start.

tell us about it.

what your doing is saying we need to do this as a group, thats like playing passive aggressive leader.

either take a leadership role, or a kingmaker role, or a passive investor role.

leadership does all the above.

kingmaker finds a leader, and gently directs them to take the lead

Passive investor role says, I have money, I want to put behind smart people. Who, and were can I put it, for best effect?

pick one.

:)

Z

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You're right, money isn't the issue. There's lots of money everywhere.

The problem is the experts. They're busy. A couple of our respected members are loosely following this thread. I haven't reached out to them and they won't bother contacting me until there's some evidence that this idea is going somewhere.

I've been seemingly aloof with this thread because I've been really busy with life recently and I wanted to watch the response to my idea for a bit to see where they went.

Your thoughts are pretty much aligned with where my mind is going.

This idea will very likely happen when the right planets align.

The people that this idea needs don't need this idea. The people that need this idea have to get the attention of those that don't. I fall in between, I don't need this idea and this idea doesn't need me to work.

So, boys and girls, we're being watched. Carry on.

Money is not the issue IMO

Time - Many people on this site are very busy
Direction - Getting 20 people to agree on something is very difficult

If you could find like 3-5 very respected members to commit a few hours per week that would help. Get them to decide on projects, direction, resources, goals, etc

1 project manager per project. Let that person pick the team
3-10 person team per project reporting up to the project manager

I could see something like that working.

Good luck.

JudoTom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 3, 2013
Scranton PA
What about a test run?

Pick a charity project? Maybe a member of this forum in need or stuck in a bind?

Set up a small team, small project and see how it goes.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I'll tell ya Jon, face to face is the most powerful thing for incubators and that is what inhibits why this forum isn't one in a sense. This forum serves well for a platform of ideas and strategies to pass, which is its intent and works perfectly for it.

I think if you founded one locally, you would be a run away success. I know i have made big strides when working side by side with similar types of people vs just doing skype and emails. It's the same reason you feel that buzz at BnP because when you are in person, there is no distraction there. When you are at your office skypeing, you are probably busy doing other things.

That is why you see the start up incubators popping up everywhere, that model really works!

I didn't know you got into affiliate marketing and the like, that is new info to me! I'd love to hear about where you went with it at some point. I have been apart of groups of guys that make anywhere from 10k-150k a month with forms of affiliate marketing online. In those groups there wasn't new people coming in. it was people that had their own success, who all got together to take it to the next level. That is why you do not see open invitations for that sort of thing.

The reason it is like that, is because it vets you as a member that you already are a self starter and are at the same level as others so there is mutual benefit for everyone involved. They are very hard to break into or form after the fact.

I can't wait to hear about what you have got going on next Feb!

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I feel like there's a very good chance the eventually the San Diego group might do something. Time will tell.

My affiliate story is underwhelming. You have to come to Beer & Pancakes to hear it. Mrs. jon.a and I will be at the fire-pit during and following dinner.

What we have going on at this time is also only for fire-pit discussion.

I'll tell ya Jon, face to face is the most powerful thing for incubators and that is what inhibits why this forum isn't one in a sense. This forum serves well for a platform of ideas and strategies to pass, which is its intent and works perfectly for it.

I think if you founded one locally, you would be a run away success. I know i have made big strides when working side by side with similar types of people vs just doing skype and emails. It's the same reason you feel that buzz at BnP because when you are in person, there is no distraction there. When you are at your office skypeing, you are probably busy doing other things.

That is why you see the start up incubators popping up everywhere, that model really works!

I didn't know you got into affiliate marketing and the like, that is new info to me! I'd love to hear about where you went with it at some point. I have been apart of groups of guys that make anywhere from 10k-150k a month with forms of affiliate marketing online. In those groups there wasn't new people coming in. it was people that had their own success, who all got together to take it to the next level. That is why you do not see open invitations for that sort of thing.

The reason it is like that, is because it vets you as a member that you already are a self starter and are at the same level as others so there is mutual benefit for everyone involved. They are very hard to break into or form after the fact.

I can't wait to hear about what you have got going on next Feb!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I feel like there's a very good chance the eventually the San Diego group might do something. Time will tell.

My affiliate story is underwhelming. You have to come to Beer & Pancakes to hear it. Mrs. jon.a and I will be at the fire-pit during and following dinner.

What we have going on at this time is also only for fire-pit discussion.

I will be at BnP again like the last few years. Unfortunately, my attention span only allows so long around Mikes fire pit. I think you all stayed around the pit all night while some of us decided to go rowdy downtown? Either way, look forward to it again here soon in 5 months.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Jon - I think you have a good idea. Like JudoTom said, why not pick a charity case and use that as a test. I would love be part of this.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
When you say charity, do you mean like "help a buddy out?"

What about a test run?

Pick a charity project? Maybe a member of this forum in need or stuck in a bind?

Set up a small team, small project and see how it goes.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
The doctor told me if I didn't stop going rowdy downtown I'd lose my ability to walk again. So, boring assed jon sits at the fire-pit.

I will be at BnP again like the last few years. Unfortunately, my attention span only allows so long around Mikes fire pit. I think you all stayed around the pit all night while some of us decided to go rowdy downtown? Either way, look forward to it again here soon in 5 months.

JudoTom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 3, 2013
Scranton PA
When you say charity, do you mean like "help a buddy out?"

Sorry not 100% sure what you mean but I was thinking that a few of the respected members around here probably have either real charities they support or want to help or know someone who could use some help.

A way to 'buy in' to the program would be to work on one of these projects first.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Oh, okay like a real charity, or championed cause. That adds more moving parts, but not a bad idea.

Sorry not 100% sure what you mean but I was thinking that a few of the respected members around here probably have either real charities they support or want to help or know someone who could use some help.

A way to 'buy in' to the program would be to work on one of these projects first.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I took it as a charity case like help someone out on here who has not developed their idea fully.

As for charity, never go charity.

I think your idea here is way to much of an uphill battle. It's a great thought though.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
That was my first thought too. I had to tread lightly and control my response.

Anyway guys, I told you that we're being watched :)

I took it as a charity case like help someone out on here who has not developed their idea fully.

As for charity, never go charity.

I think your idea here is way to much of an uphill battle. It's a great thought though.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
At first I thought charity as JudoTom said. After further thought, I don't think that is a good idea. It wouldn't be a good "test" of the idea as charities are much different than up-and-coming fastlaners.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
So, I'm sitting in B & P

What's B&P?

It may be off topic here, but there is a very interesting couple of remarks on this theme from the founder of a Fortune 500 company. If still of any interest I'll dig up the relevant quotes and send 'em to you directly. If the concept has utterly faded away in the intervening years, no problem.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
What's B&P?

It may be off topic here, but there is a very interesting couple of remarks on this theme from the founder of a Fortune 500 company. If still of any interest I'll dig up the relevant quotes and send 'em to you directly. If the concept has utterly faded away in the intervening years, no problem.
B & P (beer and pancakes) was the name for the old annual meet up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.