The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joining the Army to get my shit straight

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
A big thank you to the Fastlane that has given me insight into breaking the capitalist chains and turning them into tools for me to be financially free.

My execution and discipline are underdeveloped, in my own sense. I joined the Army a few days ago mostly for personal reasons also to develop my concentration, willpower, and discipline.

Just something I need to do as my own man, or I'll never be satisfied, I leave for Georgia the 26th

Much love- G​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Congrats!

Your progress thread was one of the better ones from younger guys in terms of mindset and taking action.

I wish you the best in the army, and am looking forward to your progress threads after you get out disciplined, in shape, and ready to conquer the world.

Best of luck @Spicymemer45

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
received_10216942352176961.jpeg
Posted up with my favorite drill Sgt.

Turned blue today and became an Infantryman, alot of people here inspired me along the way to get to here, you know who you are.

Airborne next, then fastlane and kill.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
You did not need to join the military.

You can just live a life of discipline.

If you do so, you will get asked if you are in the military.

I get mistaken for a soldier 1-2 times every single week.

Work out. Wake up early. Make your bed. Speak clearly. Don’t cover yourself in degenerate tattoos. Don’t dress like a hippie. Cut your hair. Walk like you know where you’re going. Take care of yourself. It’s the bare minimum and people think you’re a soldier because of it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A big thank you to the Fastlane that has given me insight into breaking the capitalist chains and turning them into tools for me to be financially free.

My execution and discipline are underdeveloped, in my own sense. I joined the Army a few days ago mostly for personal reasons also to develop my concentration, willpower, and discipline.

Just something I need to do as my own man, or I'll never be satisfied, I leave for Georgia the 26th

Much love- G​
Be safe

Keep your head low

See what you hit

Until we see you again

God bless you and thank you for your service.

Note ::: THIS is how you make an exit. We will see this kid again.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
11X

Infantry with an Option 40 Contract

Benning ---> Airborne ---> Ranger School ---> Bad Knees

When you complete all of that, you must change your AV to:

mr_deeds.jpg

I was Army from 95-00. Ft Drum, NY is literally hell frozen over.

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
480%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
I love the military. I appreciate them greatly.

But you just burned up a significant amount of your most valuable asset in a major way.

Thanks for doing it so I don't have to.

In the time he has “burnt,” he has likely learned:
Leadership skills
Time management skills
Critical thinking skills
And more than translate well to entrepreneurship.
In addition to that, once he is done burning time, he will have earned:
Monthly paycheck for life (perhaps more than one)
Preference by all government agencies at all levels for contracts and jobs.
An immediate in with untold numbers of people for all sorts of reasons. People who would ignore someone like you will gladly spend time with a veteran.
There is more. A lot more.
Time in the military is not poorly spent or burnt. 11 years ago I left the military, and I continue to reap benefits from it today.

If it’s not for you, fine. It’s not for everybody. But to tell someone they’ve burnt that time so you don’t have to is rude and disrespectful.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
There are a lot of potential advantages to being in the military, GI Bill, security clearances, special learning programs, etc. Take advantage of as many as you can. If you like their toys, get as much training as you can with the more expensive ones that civilians will never see, helicopters, planes, trucks, tanks, explosives, etc. It is sad when people go in with zero plans to take advantage of all the programs available. A Fastlane approach would be to look for things you can patent and license to Defense Contractors. I use to know a guy who was in special forces, and was always asking me what was possible with AI stuff, and then was doing something product related that he could not tell me about. Even though you wont earn much cash (not counting enlistment bonuses), you will be surrounded by the most expensive toys in the world.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Holy damn how did I miss this thread.

I sure hope you used @Patrick R as a Recruiter to get his numbers up haha

But in all seriousness man, joining the Marine Corps was the best thing I ever did. I wish I’d done it a different way, but that’s another story for another day.

Best advice for bootcamp.

Be loud. As loud as you can be, x 10. You get left alone if you’re loud.

Do everything as fast as possible, don’t slow down.

The clock always wins. No matter how much your DS’s are screwing with you, they have a schedule to stick to, so it’ll end, just grin and bear it.

Nothing is personal at basic. It’s all done for very specific reasons. If your DS is a giant a**hole, it’s not because he hates you, it’s because it’s a proven method to keel you from getting killed.

Lastly, once you get out of basic and hit the.. what does the army call the Fleet? I dunno, regular Army? Once you get out of basic and AIT, you’ll have guys who are lazy, jaded, and just disgruntled. They’ll jokingly call themselves E-4 mafia.

DO NOT be like them. Stay motivated and push yourself to be better.

I expect you to post here on boot leave you got meritorious promotion. And you better pick up E-5 Sgt in 3 years.

Good luck man. Stay motivated. I’m proud of you. Welcome to the family.

S/F Cpl. Sav

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Quick bittersweet success story.

Never really got over this ex of mine, cute Redhead, real sweet.

She came over last night and made me cupcakes for a goodbye and it was a real nice evening *Wink*

Woke up and I was like well shit this sucks now lmao but I'm still hyped and I'm choked up, I appreciate you all so much and I cant really convey with words my gratitude.

Thank you all

Much love- G

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
11X

Sounds exciting, yet intimidating....
I'm going to say that a soldier's work is more challenging than an entrepreneur's.

To excel in the army would mean that you CAN kill it in business, should you choose to continue it later on.

Best wishes, and all the best!

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
One more piece of advice, which I am sure you don't need to hear, but remember that they own you. Do NOT fight the system, the military has a million ways to break a person.

If they say do not smoke pot, then DO NOT SMOKE POT. My dad was a military officer for decades, and I've heard horror stories about people who just would not play ball. That "Army of One" stuff is BS, you will be expected to be part of a giant machine. Do everything they say, more if you can, and take advantage of every program.

There will be some guys there that are just world-class screw-ups, stay too busy to hang around them. Politely decline invitations to special parties, etc. I've heard about people who robbed the ship before payday because they had massive losses in a Chinese gambling den, soldiers killed because they fought with local police or gate guards and swiped their gun, sailors who were tripping balls and killed their girlfriend with no memory of it, soldiers who informed on others running a drug ring getting almost beat to death, all kinds of stuff. Just stay a million miles away from the screw ups.

It will help if you always have something to do with your free time. You don't have to do it, but at least you'll have an answer when someone pressures you to do something stupid. I would even invite them to go with me, "Hey man, instead of going to that cat house, why don't you come surfing with me?". You don't want to be a goody-two-shoes, but you also don't want the screw-ups planning how you will spend your free time.

Sorry to preach about this, I just saw a ton of people turn something that should have great for them, in to a personalized hell.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Haha thanks for the reminder @UnrealCreative

I'm still in it for awhile longer, I've been selected for Ranger Selection after Airborne school, I F*cking hate morning PT other than that, the Army has rocked so far.

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
480%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
As long as you’ve got it in writing

That is the most important advice you can ever get about the military. I got everything in writing. I made 10 copies of it, and I kept it in a file box.

After active duty, I went to the reserves. Since I was leaving active, I was offered three years in the reserves instead of the normal six. Three years later, I start the process to leave the reserves. Retention NCO calls me in and says "You got three more years, why are you out processing?" I suspected this would happen, and had brought my file box with me. Brought him the paperwork showing my three year commitment. Left the reserves a few months later.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
That is the most important advice you can ever get about the military. I got everything in writing. I made 10 copies of it, and I kept it in a file box.

After active duty, I went to the reserves. Since I was leaving active, I was offered three years in the reserves instead of the normal six. Three years later, I start the process to leave the reserves. Retention NCO calls me in and says "You got three more years, why are you out processing?" I suspected this would happen, and had brought my file box with me. Brought him the paperwork showing my three year commitment. Left the reserves a few months later.

A good friend of mine was an army wife, but had a great system. She had template letters she brought everywhere with her. It would go something like:

I spoke with rank:______ name:_______ on date:________

He told me:

Signed:

Basically even after she had the appropste forms, she wanted accountability of every conversation she had that might get overturned in the future.

So if this guy promises you 11B, but they try and reclassify you to truck driver, you say “Sgt Ahole informed me I would be reclassified 11B. Here’s the paperwork and a signed statement from Sgt Ahole. Now send me to a grunt unit”

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Not too applicable to the civilian world as the military has a lot of power over those who serve in it because soldiers are not civilians. They are subjected to military laws.

This means that absent without leaves and deliberate insubordination are chargeable offense.

For small mistakes you can get minor punishment like extra night duties or confinement (no traveling outside the base). Repeat offenders can be sent to detention barracks which are like a temporary prison.
Well in my house and company everyone is subject to Johnny Boy Law and we have no Geneva conventions

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
11X

That's some serious commitment right there. I was 11B in the National Guard. Did my basic and AIT in Benning. It will be nice toward the end as the weather will be getting warmer before it gets stupid hot.

Initial processing at the 30th AG is a nightmare. I still have flashbacks and it has been almost 18 years now.

Good luck to you. It's really not that bad. Peanut butter and jelly on pancakes or waffles will be your favorite meal when you can get it.

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
480%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia

Much love- G​
Like you, and others, I joined for the same reasons. Best decision I ever made. From a life quickly going the wrong way to having a direction and the means to make it happen, it was a phenomenal journey.
Concentration, willpower, and discipline. You will have it in spades.

I took advantage of many different programs and opportunities while I was in, as many as I could. I traveled the world on the Army's dime.

If you ever have questions while you are in, I'd be glad to help you find the answer. I may not always know, but I will find someone who does.

Hooah!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Quick bittersweet success story.

Never really got over this ex of mine, cute Redhead, real sweet.

She came over last night and made me cupcakes for a goodbye and it was a real nice evening *Wink*

Woke up and I was like well sh*t this sucks now lmao but I'm still hyped and I'm choked up, I appreciate you all so much and I cant really convey with words my gratitude.

Thank you all

Much love- G

The Army was one of the best adventures I've been on. I didn't appreciate it at the time. But looking back, it's awesome having those stories to tell. Traveling the world, insurance, school, skills, jumping out of planes. It will change you for sure, and I still think it's a great choice leading into the Fastlane.

Let us know where you end up. Might be in one of our old units at some point. I worked for a guy in a small town in Missouri before I joined the Army whose picture was on the wall in my battalion in Germany. Sometimes it's wild how you can be so far from home and still be so close.

DavidJLeys

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Feb 15, 2018
Vietnam
There are a lot of potential advantages to being in the military, GI Bill, security clearances, special learning programs, etc. Take advantage of as many as you can. If you like their toys, get as much training as you can with the more expensive ones that civilians will never see, helicopters, planes, trucks, tanks, explosives, etc. It is sad when people go in with zero plans to take advantage of all the programs available. A Fastlane approach would be to look for things you can patent and license to Defense Contractors. I use to know a guy who was in special forces, and was always asking me what was possible with AI stuff, and then was doing something product related that he could not tell me about. Even though you wont earn much cash (not counting enlistment bonuses), you will be surrounded by the most expensive toys in the world.
This is so true. I missed a ton of opportunities when I was in. It didn't really hit me until it was too late. There are a lot of programs to be taken advantage of.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Watching your growth on this forum has been an amazing experience for many of us. I wish you the absolute best.

As Daniel said, take care of yourself and give us an update when you can. Good luck!

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The clock always wins. No matter how much your DS’s are screwing with you, they have a schedule to stick to, so it’ll end, just grin and bear it.

Soooo much truth to this. There's never enough time when teaching a course, and smoke sessions are (seriously) the lowest priority 9 times out of 10.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Soooo much truth to this. There's never enough time when teaching a course, and smoke sessions are (seriously) the lowest priority 9 times out of 10.

A lot of guys in my platoon never got that lesson. But if you pay attention during a smoke session, you’ll always see them check their watch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.