The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joining the Army to get my shit straight

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Hey everybody! Coming at you from the not-so-fair-weather Ft. Benning

Failed out of Airborne school for reasons beyond my control

Headed to Fort Bliss this coming Wednesday.

I've decided to restart an Upwork account and learn how to make some BADASS copy and after that, Website creation.

- PV2 Jones
What kind of website creation are you going for?

I was in the Marine Corps, and depending on your unit you might have a load of downtime or next to no time to yourself. Especially being in the infantry. I wouldn't want to expect to get back to the barracks at 1700 to wrap up that copywriting job but oh wait, LCpl Schmuckatelli decided to do thing_specifically_told_not_to_do and now you have to stand in formation for hours.

Beyond that, you're in a prime position to start taking calculated risks. A $200 test run on ads is a lot easier to manage when you have that salary.

I wish I found TFF when I was on active duty.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
have you ever thought about doing a youtube channel?

not sure if thats allowed for you legally, but something like a daily vlog of military life seems like a niche you could capitalize on? just a random idea

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
all those call of duty nerds would love that, sell em some gaming products

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
curious, whats military life like?

ive just watched army shows on youtube and it looks preety intense (boot camps & tons of yelling)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7nIL1eSwmI

hilarious commentary on hell week by bill burr

Depends on which boot camp videos you watch. And this video is for SF selection, it’s about 10x harder than most parts of the military.

have you ever thought about doing a youtube channel?

not sure if thats allowed for you legally, but something like a daily vlog of military life seems like a niche you could capitalize on? just a random idea

Do NOT do this. There are a few funny channels of guys doing military videos, but they’re all veterans. Any time you see a funny video of stupid crap in the military, I guaranteed each person in that video got an Article 15 or worse.

Word of advice to @Spicymemer45 Take as many photos as you can with your friends. You’ll regret it afterwards if you didn’t. Take plenty stupid boot photos too, like up and pose with your rifles with the BFA on them. Take as many videos.

Do NOT ever ever f’ing ever post any of them on YouTube, Facebook, anywhere. I’ve seen too many careers destroyed by people posting videos of something they found funny that their chain of command didn’t and fried them for.

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
I don't know what made me think of a 2.5 year old thread, but for some reason I got on the forum today and immediately thought "I wonder how the guy who joined the Army is doing?"

So @Spicymemer45 , how are you doing? How was selection? Have you been happy with the decision to enlist? You are coming up on three years, most people do a three year stint first go around, are you planning to re-up?

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Good bump, I'm curious now too!

Been listening to so much Jocko Podcast recently, I wonder why everyone doesn't join up. ha!
(spoken as someone who has never been within 1000 miles of anything to do with military anything)

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia
I love the military. I appreciate them greatly.

But you just burned up a significant amount of your most valuable asset in a major way.

Thanks for doing it so I don't have to.

In the time he has “burnt,” he has likely learned:
Leadership skills
Time management skills
Critical thinking skills
And more than translate well to entrepreneurship.
In addition to that, once he is done burning time, he will have earned:
Monthly paycheck for life (perhaps more than one)
Preference by all government agencies at all levels for contracts and jobs.
An immediate in with untold numbers of people for all sorts of reasons. People who would ignore someone like you will gladly spend time with a veteran.
There is more. A lot more.
Time in the military is not poorly spent or burnt. 11 years ago I left the military, and I continue to reap benefits from it today.

If it’s not for you, fine. It’s not for everybody. But to tell someone they’ve burnt that time so you don’t have to is rude and disrespectful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.