The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joining Professional Organisations

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
I have been trying to shift my circle of influence and have looked into joining professional organisations. Only issue is I have no business atm so cant join business groups like BNI, Business over breakfast etc.

So I looked in the Rotary & Freemasons but what I am finding like many other similar groups is that they are all well established people in the 40+ age range. The only one I came accross is the Toastmasters which would be willing to take me on.

Does anyone know of similar organisations for younger people (20+) or ones of which are willing to take on someone with my sort of experience level?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
I smell a need
Agreed this can be lucrative for a young entreprenuer to set one up, So far I have found it to be only toastmasters and the rotaract (from of rotary aimed at 16-30 yr olds). I have just booked my meeting with the toastmaster and scheduling a call with a rotaract club to see what its all about

G

GuestUser155

What are your reasons for joining professional networks?

Also, the masons' motto is "To become one, ask one" and they're open to anyone above 18 with a recommendation.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I have been trying to shift my circle of influence and have looked into joining professional organisations. Only issue is I have no business atm so cant join business groups like BNI, Business over breakfast etc.

So I looked in the Rotary & Freemasons but what I am finding like many other similar groups is that they are all well established people in the 40+ age range. The only one I came accross is the Toastmasters which would be willing to take me on.

Does anyone know of similar organisations for younger people (20+) or ones of which are willing to take on someone with my sort of experience level?

You can incorporate for 13 quid or so - no reason to let that be a stumbling block.

I think our age group (20s) prefers forums and other online methods. However, offline, I like the older accomplished crowd, because they really like to talk about their experience. And they get into detail - not like these philosophical feel good memes, that are so prevalent online.

If you want to connect with these clubs though, and don't have an acquaintance, get into charities.

Rotary/Freemasons roll deep with established non-profits.

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
What are your reasons for joining professional networks?

Also, the masons' motto is "To become one, ask one" and they're open to anyone above 18 with a recommendation.

Reason being is that I am trying to shift my circle of influence

Michael Clark

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Aug 22, 2016
Scotland
I don't really want to recommend them because I've never gone, but I enjoy the London Real interviews and I know they do meetups in London. You could give one of them a go?

https://londonrealacademy.com/

The whole London Real Academy is geared towards trying to make entrepreneurs successful. I'm considering joining just for the video content but i imagine the meetups would be invaluable.

Last edited:

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Why not a charity?

I joined Engineers Without Borders, for example, and met a lot of engineers in my city and the surrounding states.

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
@Michael Clark I do watch london real videos and have been tempted to join but going by reviews it appears as if its only worth if you live in london and can attend the events reguarly. I have also noticed you can still participate in the groups on the londonreal site even if your not a member of the academy and be honest not much is going on in there from what I can see from online reviews, perhaps its still in the early stages yet but I will keep an eye on it.

@jesseissorude I agree with what you are saying, I do charity but not through organisations I occasionally donate clothes food etc. to the homeless guys directly. But I will look into it, The lions club seems like a good blend between networking and charity.

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
An Update on this know that I had the chance to go out and try some organisations, also be aware these are just my opinion here in the UK and it may be different in your location.

Freemasons: Suprisingly these guys were the easiest to contact and were happy to answer of all my questions. However they all stated the same thing that you would never really know what it is truly about until you have been in it for about 2 years. Having spoken to some members I found that it is a great place to network and form a group of good people who help each other out, but in terms of business and entrepreneurship you will benefit but there are better ways of doing it and this organisation is more about brotherhood.

Rotary: Great social part to it, they are very flexible around your schedule and will be happy with whatever time you have available e.g. even if you only attend one meeting a month and dedicate a few hours a year. All members go onto a club register where their occupations are listed and contact information available for you to go out and network with people of your interest. You can also visit other clubs all over the world. However it is mainly the 50+ crowd in these clubs due to them having the time and money to commit to them. My local club was mainly retired people with the youngest member being 50+ years older than me, apart from that I had no issues with it but because of this I dont see much benefit in joining. On the plus side there is also the Rotaract which is a version fo 18-30 yr olds but the nearest club is too far from me.

Toastmasters: Great place to meet great people, everyone is open and non judgemental. It is a great place to improve social, communication and public speaking skills. Also it consists of the kind of people who want to improve themselves hence building you a great network. This is something I will join once i try a few more meetings and different clubs.

If you guys know of any similar organisations then please let me know.

Clayton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 9, 2012
San Diego
Does your area have a "Young Professionals" group? Every city in the US that I've lived in has one. You can usually just google [city name] young professionals group.

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
@Clayton Thanks, I've never heard of Young Professionals before. I had an online search and found one in the next city however it is based towards the finance industry for finance professionals (Im in the Health & Pharmaceutical Trade). Is there an official site or directory for them? As I find they are all individually run from city to city here in the UK or maybe I am not searching them properly

@miked_d I've tried meetup, here in the UK it is fantastic for hobbies, groups, fun, social etc. However for business/fastlane related stuff what I found in my experience atleast in my area was a load of very early startup stage people trying to sell me their products, it was very rare for me to find genuine people and out all the ones I attended, I only came across one guy who was very honest and willing to help. but I will keep a lookout on it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.