The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joe Rogan goes to Spotify for $100M

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Good for him - he has worked very hard to get where he is and has a great show.

I always feel a lot of creatives are getting pretty sick of YouTube’s censorship.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
View attachment 33080
Morning Brew email answered my Spotify video query.

Youtube messed up.

Giving content creators a ton of grief, hiding their content, demonetizing their videos etc.

They took too much from their Golden Geese to try and make everything ***safe*** and now a lot of people have had it.

If spotify video takes off it will crush it - people just want direct access with no BS.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
American podcaster moves from American platform to European because of freedom of speech.

tumblr_nscscqgnyw1s391qwo1_250.gif

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
At first I was skeptical about this move. Now I'm thinking that Joe might know something we don't. If Spotify keeps it up and gets more prominent YouTubers off the platform without censoring them and getting involved in their creative process, maybe it's the beginning of end for YouTube.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Cool that he struck a $100 million deal.

Not cool that it’s a Spotify exclusive now :frown:
This sucks. He won't get the same audience as YouTube. I watch his podcasts because they're in the recommended. I don't seek them out. And I won't go through the trouble of going to Spotify just for Joe.

But if I were in his shoes I would take the 100 million obviously.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
At first I was skeptical about this move. Now I'm thinking that Joe might know something we don't. If Spotify keeps it up and gets more prominent YouTubers off the platform without censoring them and getting involved in their creative process, maybe it's the beginning of end for YouTube.

Howard Stern moving to Sirius XM legitimized the platform

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Cool that he struck a $100 million deal.

Not cool that it’s a Spotify exclusive now :frown:

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Jul 9, 2018
Good for him - he has worked very hard to get where he is and has a great show.

100%

He might lose some of his audience over this switch but those who love his work will follow him wherever he moves.

Also, Garyvee observes the market very closely. Last year he said Joe Rogan would do this and now it happened.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
I recently stumbled across this article from Andrew Wilkinson (the Co-Founder of Tiny). Obviously trying to get their Supercast Service into the game, yet still an interesting read. He also talks about Joe Rogan.

paulmp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
407%
Jul 1, 2017
Western Australia
Good on him for getting his. Who *wouldn't* take a deal like that?
People have been moaning about YouTube not having any real competition... it seems that Spotify are setting themselves up to be exactly that. I'm wondering if they will extend their platform for other creators such as vloggers / film makers and the such?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I predict a rising demand for podcast creation tools. Money chasers will want to be the next Joe Rogan.

@Kak and I were discussing that earlier this week, but like in everything else, the cream rises to the top. You have to have something to talk about that people want to hear. Look at all of the wannabes on YouTube, but only the select few (thousand) make it. However, there is no question that old school media will yield completely to media on demand.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I’m pretty sure the whole production will be on Spotify, I didn’t know there was video on Spotify so not I’m sure, the whole back catalogue will be moving there as well.

It will be interesting to see where he takes it, he used to run live until there was some controversy with a guest (can’t remember who) and he stopped, he’s discussed censorship of all big social media empires a bit as well, gets a free reign on Spotify I’d have thought.

daniel_m

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Feb 26, 2019
I'd consider myself a pretty big Rogan fan but even I won't be going to Spotify to watch most of his interviews. If it's a name I'm interested in like Naval, Elon, or Peterson - sure I'll go on over to Spotify but I won't be seeking out random interviews of people I've never heard of before.

I don't have anything against Spotify - I just don't use it or any other streaming service. In fact I'm glad that somebody ripped one of the biggest players on YouTube off of the platform and I hope it works out for them.

Jesse Dallenbach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jul 3, 2015
Northern California, U.S.A.
Just Curious, and if this has already been mentioned I apologize. Joe Rogan was big on having 100% creative control of content (guests and topics). He often says with a studio,network, radio station they were always meddling with content.

Is the Joe Rogan Podcast going to lose some of those creative freedoms now that he is in a 100 million dollar marriage with Spotify?

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Just Curious, and if this has already been mentioned I apologize. Joe Rogan was big on having 100% creative control of content (guests and topics). He often says with a studio,network, radio station they were always meddling with content.

Is the Joe Rogan Podcast going to lose some of those creative freedoms now that he is in a 100 million dollar marriage with Spotify?

It will be interesting to see, I was thinking he’d go the other way, he’s been vocal about You Tubes censorship, the show used to be live on You Tube until there was some controversy with a guest last year (can’t remember the details) but he stopped going live, seemed You Tube might of given him a warning, he alluded to it on the show.

FirstLawMotion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 2, 2020
Canada
Good for him. I enjoy listening to his show at times. Amazing what can happen when you put your mind to it. I heard that podcasting started out simply as a hobby of his. I went to his YouTube channel and checked out some of his earliest videos. He has come a long way in terms of quality.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
From Spotify, another high-profile Spotify Original podcast:

THE MICHELLE OBAMA PODCAST

Start Listening July 29

The former First Lady is starting a new conversation - and you're invited to join. Hear Michelle Obama's most candid and personal conversations as they happen, and discover what's possible when we let ourselves be vulnerable, open up, and focus on what matters most.

Spotify is going to be the king of podcasts soon.

They are making huge moves. She is total speculation and yet they are buying her. Wow. Spotify is the horse I am backing in this race.

SiriusXM is probably the second biggest mover in this category. They just bought Stitcher, they bought simplecast recently and have also added podcasting to their Pandora music service. I bet we start seeing them want to run with this too.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
This sucks. He won't get the same audience as YouTube. I watch his podcasts because they're in the recommended. I don't seek them out. And I won't go through the trouble of going to Spotify just for Joe.

But if were in his shoes I would take the 100 million obviously.
I wonder if it's just for the podcast only and not the Youtube channel?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.