The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Janitor Creates 8 Million Dollar Net Worth

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
Feb 19, 2019
Okay, I'm not hear to downplay this story. I think it's awesome that this guy amassed 8 million dollars. He did a noble thing & is family will be set for life if they know how to wisely handle the money.

However, after reading The Millionaire Fastlane & Scripted what comes to my mind is happiness. I hope this guy built this fortune & was happy at the same time. Not miserably coveting every penny with no vacations, no eating out, and no new clothes while living in a 10x10 apartment on the rough side of town. I hope he was able to experience the millionaire good life while he could still get around good. He was 92 years old with 8 million dollars. Like MJ's books say. Its no fun being the richest guy in the nursing home.

The YouTube video is below. Again, I think it's awesome what he did. I just hope he was happy & was able to enjoy the fruits of his labor. In MJ's book Scripted, this story has a "Seeder" vibe though. Read chapter 7 in scripted if you're unaware of what "seeders" do.

View: https://youtu.be/Inow8ZEIs_M

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
Okay, I'm not here to downplay this story. I think it's awesome that this guy amassed 8 million dollars. He did a noble thing & his family will be set for life if they know how to wisely handle the money.

However, after reading The Millionaire Fastlane & Scripted what comes to my mind is happiness. I hope this guy built this fortune & was happy at the same time. Not miserably coveting every penny with no vacations, no eating out, and no new clothes while living in a 10x10 apartment on the rough side of town. I hope he was able to experience the millionaire good life while he could still get around good. He was 92 years old with 8 million dollars. Like MJ's books say. Its no fun being the richest guy in the nursing home.

The YouTube video is below. Again, I think it's awesome what he did. I just hope he was happy & was able to enjoy the fruits of his labor. In MJ's book Scripted, this story has a "Seeder" vibe though. Read chapter 7 in scripted if you're unaware of what "seeders" do.

Think WWII is the key word here. Most of the generation felt they needed to recycle their materialism, become pack rats, and save all their money after the war and the great depression because they were afraid of being in poverty again and losing everything. I served a lot of their generation as a nurse aide. They saved everything, were afraid to do anything, and spend their money or give things away. They became hoarders.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
Feb 19, 2019
Think WWII is the key word here. Most of the generation felt they needed to recycle their materialism, become pack rats, and save all their money after the war and the great depression because they were afraid of being in poverty again and losing everything. I served a lot of their generation as a nurse aide. They saved everything, were afraid to do anything, and spend their money or give things away. They became hoarders.
Wow, yea I didn't even think about that. I'm in the apartment industry & have had to clean out their apartments after they pass away. I know what you mean. Their apartment would be stacked to the ceiling with stuff & coupons every where.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
Wow, yea I didn't even think about that. I'm in the apartment industry & have had to clean out their apartments after they pass away. I know what you mean. Their apartment would be stacked to the ceiling with stuff & coupons every where.
Yes..ha ha...I've walked through it before many times as an In-home care nurse, and trying to talk them into throwing out stuff was a chore. I know there bank accounts were stacked too, but they just didn't want to budge. I kept thinking you have all this money, you won't get rid of this junk in your house, and you could be living such a better life.

lol there was one time I was told not to go back, because I was cleaning up their house and throwing old food out and they got mad. They just sent another nurse aide to do the same thing until it got cleaned up.

LuckyPup

Done Dicking Around
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Okay, I'm not here to downplay this story. I think it's awesome that this guy amassed 8 million dollars. He did a noble thing & his family will be set for life if they know how to wisely handle the money.

I read stories like this from time to time, and I think they're a distraction. People like him are notable because they're exceedingly rare. Zuckerberg rare. Musk rare. When the media hilights misers like him, the masses are fooled into believing that "if only I could do what he did, I'd have $8 million." But not only do they ignore his process, they also ignore the unique circumstances - time period, market conditions, etc. - in which the man was able to amass that sum.

lejus

Contributor
Jun 8, 2017
UK
There is two sides to every coin.

Should you go their way and spend nothing and save up everything? Should you forget about looking for higher paid jobs? Should you forget about investing? Running your own business? Taking any risk? Probably not.

Can you learn something from them? If there is lesson it's that you should always spend less than you make because over your lifetime it will add up. In the meantime, I am trying to work on my fastlane without completely neglecting slowlane, some level of saving and passive investing is necessary to sleep better.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
Feb 19, 2019
There is two sides to every coin.

Should you go their way and spend nothing and save up everything? Should you forget about looking for higher paid jobs? Should you forget about investing? Running your own business? Taking any risk? Probably not.

Can you learn something from them? If there is lesson it's that you should always spend less than you make because over your lifetime it will add up. In the meantime, I am trying to work on my fastlane without completely neglecting slowlane, some level of saving and passive investing is necessary to sleep better.
Right on. I like it when Jim Rohn says, "Work full-time on your living & part time on your fortune until your part time fortune becomes your full-time living."

Kak

Capitalist Swine
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jan 23, 2011
One would think it would be very difficult to flip that switch from penny pinching to enjoying yourself. I know a really good example of this.

A friend of mine is the retired CEO for a major publicly traded company... he is probably worth 30+ million if I were to guess. I do know he gives a million per year to charity.

He lives in a small house and cheaps out on everything he does. The one thing he has splurged on was a masarati ghibli. The guy loves golf and plays on my membership as a guest haha. He is 70 years old. I encourage him when he mentions a slight interest in it, to buy a nice home in the best golf community in the area and join the club. It’s what he likes to do. He would play every day and probably own his own golf cart. The price tag to upgrade his golf hobby and living situation to the MAXIMUM? Probably 2-3 percent of his net worth.

I think he should. His is divorced and his kids are all grown and doing well. It’s time for him to enjoy himself. But that switch...

On the other side of this... If the janitor had flipped that switch at 300k-500k he wouldn’t have even made it to a million.

Last edited:

lejus

Contributor
Jun 8, 2017
UK
One would think it would be very difficult to flip that switch from penny pinching to enjoying yourself. I know a really good example of this.

A friend of mine is the retired CEO for a major publicly traded company... he is probably worth 30+ million if I were to guess. I do know he gives a million per year to charity.

He lives in a small house and cheaps out on everything he does. The one thing he has splurged on was a masarati ghibli. The guy loves golf and plays on my membership as a guest haha. He is 70 years old. I encourage him when he mentions a slight interest in it, to buy a nice home in the best golf community in the area and join the club. It’s what he likes to do. He would play every day and probably own his own golf cart. The price tag to upgrade his golf hobby and living situation to the MAXIMUM? Probably 2-3 percent of his net worth.

I think he should. His is divorced and his kids are all grown and doing well. It’s time for him to enjoy himself. But that switch...

On the other side of this... If the janitor had flipped that switch at 300k-500k he wouldn’t have even made it to a million.
Interesting. To be honest, when I become more frugal I noticed it had no negative impact on my happiness, maybe even the opposite, less rubbish and impulsive purchases make me sometimes happier. I think a lot of those guys noticed the same, they get more frugal, their happiness is the same and maybe even higher, and they have more money so they do that even more. Happiness is an internal state which is not influenced by your spending, saying that I still spend on things/experiences I or my family enjoy. But I removed as many impulsive purchases I could, this is just cheap high and looking for happiness in wrong places and cluttering your life with junk you don't use and don't care about anyway.

I think the answer is balance, but then again different ppl enjoy different things and I can understand where they come from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom