The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

I've made almost every mistake, but I'm battle-scarred and ready to succeed.

og_mattyd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 10, 2024
Hey Everyone,

My name is Matt. I'm 27. I'm on page 283 of The Millionaire Fastlane .

My God, what a great book. This is the third time I've tried to read it and I'm finally making it. Unfortunately, I have made many, many of the mistakes MJ writes about. The silver lining to that is I can see how clear and true the principles he lays out in the book are.

A little about me and why I care about financial freedom; I grew up with a good but workaholic mom, a nice but emotionally absent father and a younger brother with a pretty severe mental illness. It was the emotional focal point of the family for nearly a decade of our childhood. Needless to say, things weren't always great in our household. We lived in a middle to upper-middle-class area, but behind the 'American Dream' home, family life was often cold, lonely or violent. I'm not saying it was the worst. There are plenty of people who have been through much more and I deeply respect that. But what going through that did was give me a strong sense that life was not always what it seesms to be. Everyone around me seemed to be in some kind of spell where they ignored a major part of reality to their own detriment and for those around them.

This was exemplified for me by my dad. He was stuck bouncing from sales job to sales job (which he was neither good at nor fond of). He would often carelessly huff out a "works sucks, I hate it." when asked about his day at the dinner table. This happened more often than not for several years. My father's words made me intuit at a deep level that I need to do what I loved or be doomed to a "life of quiet desperation.".

In addition to seeing my family struggle with the school and medical systems due to my brother's mental illness, these moments witnessed over and over made me want to live an extraordinary life, or at the very least escape traps I was seeing all around me in the "American Dream".

This attitude, ever since I left for college when I was 18, has led to a lot... A lot of good, a lot of bad, a lot of doubt, a lot of joy, and a lot of other things. I have had some amazing memories, and some horrible, agonizing defeats. But over the past couple years I have made strides in cleaning up my bad habits and have finally gotten a solid job that affords me ample time and decent money to focus on, and prepare the ground to launch my fastlane vehicle.

I'm still in the process of distilling my ideas in order to find the one that deserves my optimal commitment. But I'm zeroing in on it and I can now appreciate at my age, with a treasure trove of experience, how to execute. I know nothing is guaranteed but I am confident that I will be able to put my shoulder to the wheel and make my vehicle go once I discern on it.

One of my dreams has always been to be an author. Ever since I read Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" when I was 12 I wanted to reproduce that magical feeling reading I got for other people. I sensed the magic in the craft of a great novel, the majesty of weaving a tapestry with words. Over the past nine years, I have given it a solid go. No doubt in some half-a$$ and flawed ways at times. At other times simply naively or with inadequate resources. Now I see I had fallen deeply into the trap of 'Love v. Passion". I did always intuit that problem as I walked through my own process of learning to write, and especially seeing those in the industry who had to balance the nasty tension of artistry and profit. Now I see it's a trap I've been stuck in for some time. However, no more, I'm climbing out.

So, one of my passions is to earn the lifestyle where I can write the novels (and screenplays) without being hooked to *needing* to sell them.

Another is to never, absolutely never, tell my kids I hate my work at the dinner table. Instead, I'll give them the infectious ability to be highly capable of pursuing their own dreams, and teach them to do that for others. That, I promise. That, I am fundamentally committed to.

As alluded to in the title, I'm battle-scarred. I've made a lot of mistakes. I've failed. I've been foolish. Sometimes very foolish. But I've also succeeded. I've got a gold mine of hints and nudges in the right direction. I know the joy and vigor that comes from bringing the spark of a dream that works into reality. I'm so looking forward to fanning that flame here with you all. And in doing so spread it with responsibility and efficacy to help those in need. So here's to meeting you good folks and making dreams a reality.

My best & cheers,
Matt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lynx1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Oct 31, 2023
Hey Everyone,

My name is Matt. I'm 27. I'm on page 283 of The Millionaire Fastlane .

My God, what a great book. This is the third time I've tried to read it and I'm finally making it. Unfortunately, I have made many, many of the mistakes MJ writes about. The silver lining to that is I can see how clear and true the principles he lays out in the book are.

A little about me and why I care about financial freedom; I grew up with a good but workaholic mom, a nice but emotionally absent father and a younger brother with a pretty severe mental illness. It was the emotional focal point of the family for nearly a decade of our childhood. Needless to say, things weren't always great in our household. We lived in a middle to upper-middle-class area, but behind the 'American Dream' home, family life was often cold, lonely or violent. I'm not saying it was the worst. There are plenty of people who have been through much more and I deeply respect that. But what going through that did was give me a strong sense that life was not always what it seesms to be. Everyone around me seemed to be in some kind of spell where they ignored a major part of reality to their own detriment and for those around them.

This was exemplified for me by my dad. He was stuck bouncing from sales job to sales job (which he was neither good at nor fond of). He would often carelessly huff out a "works sucks, I hate it." when asked about his day at the dinner table. This happened more often than not for several years. My father's words made me intuit at a deep level that I need to do what I loved or be doomed to a "life of quiet desperation.".

In addition to seeing my family struggle with the school and medical systems due to my brother's mental illness, these moments witnessed over and over made me want to live an extraordinary life, or at the very least escape traps I was seeing all around me in the "American Dream".

This attitude, ever since I left for college when I was 18, has led to a lot... A lot of good, a lot of bad, a lot of doubt, a lot of joy, and a lot of other things. I have had some amazing memories, and some horrible, agonizing defeats. But over the past couple years I have made strides in cleaning up my bad habits and have finally gotten a solid job that affords me ample time and decent money to focus on, and prepare the ground to launch my fastlane vehicle.

I'm still in the process of distilling my ideas in order to find the one that deserves my optimal commitment. But I'm zeroing in on it and I can now appreciate at my age, with a treasure trove of experience, how to execute. I know nothing is guaranteed but I am confident that I will be able to put my shoulder to the wheel and make my vehicle go once I discern on it.

One of my dreams has always been to be an author. Ever since I read Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth" when I was 12 I wanted to reproduce that magical feeling reading I got for other people. I sensed the magic in the craft of a great novel, the majesty of weaving a tapestry with words. Over the past nine years, I have given it a solid go. No doubt in some half-a$$ and flawed ways at times. At other times simply naively or with inadequate resources. Now I see I had fallen deeply into the trap of 'Love v. Passion". I did always intuit that problem as I walked through my own process of learning to write, and especially seeing those in the industry who had to balance the nasty tension of artistry and profit. Now I see it's a trap I've been stuck in for some time. However, no more, I'm climbing out.

So, one of my passions is to earn the lifestyle where I can write the novels (and screenplays) without being hooked to *needing* to sell them.

Another is to never, absolutely never, tell my kids I hate my work at the dinner table. Instead, I'll give them the infectious ability to be highly capable of pursuing their own dreams, and teach them to do that for others. That, I promise. That, I am fundamentally committed to.

As alluded to in the title, I'm battle-scarred. I've made a lot of mistakes. I've failed. I've been foolish. Sometimes very foolish. But I've also succeeded. I've got a gold mine of hints and nudges in the right direction. I know the joy and vigor that comes from bringing the spark of a dream that works into reality. I'm so looking forward to fanning that flame here with you all. And in doing so spread it with responsibility and efficacy to help those in need. So here's to meeting you good folks and making dreams a reality.

My best & cheers,
Matt
Hello Matt,
That was a beautiful read- I can already see your talent, what a skill to have! Life is so bittersweet, isn't it? Families are complex. I'm from a dysfunctional family and I can relate to a lot of what you've said. But I love my parents dearly, regardless of my experiences. They taught me through these rough experiences, how not to live, if that makes sense? How we live is a choice we make. We don't ever have to continue the cycle of what we have seen and learned. Do you think your dad's unhappiness is part of why you are who you are, and why you want to do better? Without these experiences, who would we be? Would you be as resilient? I don't think I would. Battle scars and failures are part of the learning process.

I'm fascinated by how a lot of really crappy books still manage to make it a bestseller, sometimes even achieving awards. In my mind I have concluded two possible reasons- 1. The author is not selling a book, they are selling themselves. 2- they are filling a void in the reader's life (ie, giving them what they want to hear/ what they think they need to learn/an escape from reality). Ultimately, the readers is thinking "what's in it for me?". Still, we have a lot to learn from them- in terms of business, they know what they are doing.

Sometimes you stumble across a great read; in your case, Pillars of the Earth, and the feeling you had then never leaves you. Artistic talent and business talent is the best combination. You've got this! Let me know when the book's out.

og_mattyd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 10, 2024
Hello Matt,
That was a beautiful read- I can already see your talent, what a skill to have! Life is so bittersweet, isn't it? Families are complex. I'm from a dysfunctional family and I can relate to a lot of what you've said. But I love my parents dearly, regardless of my experiences. They taught me through these rough experiences, how not to live, if that makes sense? How we live is a choice we make. We don't ever have to continue the cycle of what we have seen and learned. Do you think your dad's unhappiness is part of why you are who you are, and why you want to do better? Without these experiences, who would we be? Would you be as resilient? I don't think I would. Battle scars and failures are part of the learning process.

I'm fascinated by how a lot of really crappy books still manage to make it a bestseller, sometimes even achieving awards. In my mind I have concluded two possible reasons- 1. The author is not selling a book, they are selling themselves. 2- they are filling a void in the reader's life (ie, giving them what they want to hear/ what they think they need to learn/an escape from reality). Ultimately, the readers is thinking "what's in it for me?". Still, we have a lot to learn from them- in terms of business, they know what they are doing.

Sometimes you stumble across a great read; in your case, Pillars of the Earth, and the feeling you had then never leaves you. Artistic talent and business talent is the best combination. You've got this! Let me know when the book's out.
Thank you Lynx, you're very kind!

Yes totally, I definitely resonate with the multiplicity of 'negative' lessons. I definitely agree as well that the negative example of my father pushed me in the direction of maximizing my life. It's been powerful fuel in that way. There's a lot to be desired in terms of the specifics but it does seem to be net positive. Im certainly resilient, lol.

As for crappy books, hard to know exactly what you mean but - yes if it's category 1. then it's likely a celebrity cashing in on brand via a formulaic ghost writer. 2. I think you're spot on as well. As with many, many businesses human nature is taken advantage of in books commercially as well. Fantasy, cope and siphoning off weaknesses will always be around I'm afraid.

Thanks so much, I will. Appreciate you :)

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...