The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Island Guy - Watching the Fastlane First Hand

Island Guy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Aug 6, 2016
Hey everyone

I've been a long time lurker and now seems like a good time to get involved

My Adult life in a nutshell

I used to be someone who was "succeeding" at the Slowlane. I found Mr. Money Moustache 7 years ago, when I was in school, and chose the FIRE path for my life.

After I landed my first job I saved religiously, and made great progress with Wall Street(200K CAD salary a year made it easy). Unfortunately my new job excitement wore off and reality sank in. I hated my job, it was bad for my health, and unfulfilling. I slogged through as many years(4) as I could and even took a promotion to try to renew my interest. Nothing worked...

The awakening

So, I quit. Everyone around me thought I was having a mental breakdown. Maybe I was?

A couple months passed and boredom set in, which led to me getting a job bartending. My summer slangin' drinks was great, but I was ready for an adventure.

The logical conclusion? My wife and I set off backpacking for 6 months for the trip of a lifetime... Even though we had done similar travel for a month at a time, 6 months let us stew in the hippy lifestyle. 5.5 months in the COVID pandemic cut our trip short and we evacuated back to Canada. I was ready to come home anyways.

Here's where my story gets juicy

Upon returning I found out a a friend's business I owned part of was grossing about 500K a month. COVID dropped our sales about 50% in March, but April and June turned into two record breaking months. Here's the kicker... I'm a minority share holder. I will start receiving a livable dividend in August or September if all goes to plan, but I don't want to depend on that and it's nothing extraordinary.

He only started the e-commerce business 20 months ago and the growth has be meteoric. I've always been a silent partner, meaning I know all the steps we've taken from an external point of view, yet I have never been involved myself. Now of course I want to succeed with my own venture.

A dream was borne

I can't emphasize how motivating it is to see first hand someones success. Doubt always creeps in when I read a story about someone I don't know. Even when I know them I feel they are embellishing. The difference here is that I can see the numbers in front of my face from our accountant.

My plan is to just get involved somehow. My friend put in the work and also got shit house lucky, now I want to start creating some of my own luck.

I look forward to being part of the community and learning from all of you

Thanks for taking the time to read my story!
-Island Guy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007