The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is waking up early worth it?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Hiya guys, just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter.

What sparked my curiosity with this is almost all extremely successful people wake up very early(04:00-06:00am), very few of them wake up at 08:00am-10:00am. Personally, I'm someone who loves to stay up late and wake up late. I get most of my things done after 8pm, which means I go to bed usually at 01:00am-02:00am and wake up at around 09:00-09:30am.

Some of the guys in my country who I personally admire advocate waking up between 04:00am-06:00am. They all say that it gives them the mental edge over their competitors which is a great point. It gives some discipline too. But you also got all these life coaches and "gurus" on YouTube who promote it too.

Some doctors say that staying up after 11pm-12am is unhealthy for you because it messes up with your circadian rhytm(your body's natural sleep cycle). It can also mess up with your hormonal levels too.

Plus, it's more natural for us to wake up when the sun comes up.

Any of you who see any benefits in waking up early?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Everyone feels differently about this.

Try it and see for yourself.

What you get done in the hours you're awake is more important than what time you're awake.

G

Guest103804

What sparked my curiosity with this is almost all extremely successful people wake up very early(04:00-06:00am), very few of them wake up at 08:00am-10:00am. Personally, I'm someone who loves to stay up late and wake up late. I get most of my things done after 8pm, which means I go to bed usually at 01:00am-02:00am and wake up at around 09:00-09:30am.

Some of the guys in my country who I personally admire advocate waking up between 04:00am-06:00am. They all say that it gives them the mental edge over their competitors which is a great point. It gives some discipline too. But you also got all these life coaches and "gurus" on YouTube who promote it too.

Some doctors say that staying up after 11pm-12am is unhealthy for you because it messes up with your circadian rhytm(your body's natural sleep cycle). It can also mess up with your hormonal levels too.

I have recently switched from getting up at 7.30 AM to 4.15 AM and have never got this much done or felt so positive, so yes is worked for me.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I tried both.

Years ago I used to stay up until 2-3 am and got up around noon-1 pm. As far as I remember, I followed this routine when I was building my most successful business. And it worked. I wrote a lot of good stuff back then during my late night sessions.

But eventually I got extremely tired of losing so much daylight. I switched to the other extreme and started going to bed at 9 pm and waking up around 5:30-6 am. This is the routine I keep to this day (it varies a little depending on where I am and the time of the year) and it's WAY, WAY better for me personally. By 11 am I have all the most important stuff done for the day.

I don't think that everyone needs to wake up early as some operate better at night. But I'd definitely recommend testing it over at least several months.

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
I've realized it's more important to get the work done that I need to and the right work not action faking work vs. just what time I wake up. Separately, there's the wake up time that makes me happy which I've learned is 5am so I've put in the work to make 5am my wake up time. That said, I've had plenty 5am mornings I spent action faking so I don't let myself get ahead of myself anymore about what time I wake up even if it's 5am. This is my two cents for what it's worth though because I'm in the skill building stage.

I've been waking up at 5am for 6 months or so finally after reading a lot about how to do it and implementing what I learned. There were like 2 years of failure for me where I just couldn't wake up at 5am even though I set my alarm for 5am every day lol.

You're right too that getting up before the sun has really good scientific benefits. One of my pillars of staying really healthy is I watch at least a bit of the sunrise and sunset most days and notice it really improves my health.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think you have to follow your own body’s rhythm. I am a late sleeper and I wake up around 9 or 10 AM every day.

I have not had a job for over 20 years now, so I can sleep and wake up whenever I want. However my body seems to default back to this sleep cycle all the time.

For example when I go to Europe for a month and I come back to the States my jet lag makes me sleepy at 8 PM. So usually the week after I get back from a vacation I will sleep anywhere from 8 PM to 10 PM and wake up from 5AM to 6 AM.

But eventually on about a week I get back to the same old rhythm of sleeping around 1 AM. To me, this is my body telling me that this is my normal sleep time.

No.1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Nov 14, 2020
iu

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
No alarm clock here. Usually up around 7 naturally. Normally asleep by midnight.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I've tried both working late nights and early mornings, and personally find I am much clearer-headed, focused and productive when waking up between 5:30 and 6 after getting 7-8 hours of sleep for at least two or three nights in a row. My girlfriend is the complete opposite timewise though - she isn't productive until like 10 or 11am but can work late into the evenings no problem.

cool

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 18, 2022
Definitely

True

Sleep at 9, wake up at 3.

Or Sleep at 10, wake up at 4.

Some might even stretch it to 11, & wake up at 5. But I prefer the former ones.

Last edited:

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I tried both.

Years ago I used to stay up until 2-3 am and got up around noon-1 pm. As far as I remember, I followed this routine when I was building my most successful business. And it worked. I wrote a lot of good stuff back then during my late night sessions.

But eventually I got extremely tired of losing so much daylight. I switched to the other extreme and started going to bed at 9 pm and waking up around 5:30-6 am. This is the routine I keep to this day (it varies a little depending on where I am and the time of the year) and it's WAY, WAY better for me personally. By 11 am I have all the most important stuff done for the day.

I don't think that everyone needs to wake up early as some operate better at night. But I'd definitely recommend testing it over at least several months.
I've found waking up early in the morning is the same for me. I'm way more productive during the day knowing the most important tasks are done already. 6 AM is probably the sweet spot as I could never quite adjust to 5 AM or under.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The author of Miracle Morning raved in his book about waking up at 5 am or earlier daily, but what happened to him in the end?

All things in moderation....

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I believe if you go outside daily and walk / exercise in the sunlight, you will have a good circadian rhythm.

I personally don't use an alarm clock or go to bed at a set time. I just sleep when tired and wake up naturally. Magical rest, low stress.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

What you get done in the hours you're awake is more important than what time you're awake.
Spot on dude. You know, I'm just curious since you see all these gurus who preach waking up at 04:00am because some billionaires wake up at that time. And it seems to be a common thread with very successful people.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I tried both.

That's great. I've tried waking up at 05:00am for about 30 days back in 2020, and felt very productive. By 10:00am, I was 90% done with everything that was on my list. It's probably healthier to wake up during those times too.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Spot on dude. You know, I'm just curious since you see all these gurus who preach waking up at 04:00am because some billionaires wake up at that time. And it seems to be a common thread with very successful people.
I understand where you’re coming from.
It’s very personal.

Jeff Bezos and Mark Cuban wake up at 6:30.

Some of the “professional motivators” wake up at 4am. I think a lot of them do it just to say they wake up at 4am.

MJ stated in the books he wasn’t a morning person and it was one of his main motivations for becoming Unscripted .

All depends on the individual.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I understand where you’re coming from.
It’s very personal.

Jeff Bezos and Mark Cuban wake up at 6:30.

Some of the “professional motivators” wake up at 4am. I think a lot of them do it just to say they wake up at 4am.

MJ stated in the books he wasn’t a morning person and it was one of his main motivations for becoming Unscripted .

All depends on the individual.
Plus these guys got to be at the office at 08:00am-09:00am so it suits them better.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I've realized it's more important to get the work done that I need to and the right work not action faking work vs. just what time I wake up. Separately, there's the wake up time that makes me happy which I've learned is 5am so I've put in the work to make 5am my wake up time. That said, I've had plenty 5am mornings I spent action faking so I don't let myself get ahead of myself anymore about what time I wake up even if it's 5am. This is my two cents for what it's worth though because I'm in the skill building stage.

I've been waking up at 5am for 6 months or so finally after reading a lot about how to do it and implementing what I learned. There were like 2 years of failure for me where I just couldn't wake up at 5am even though I set my alarm for 5am every day lol.

You're right too that getting up before the sun has really good scientific benefits. One of my pillars of staying really healthy is I watch at least a bit of the sunrise and sunset most days and notice it really improves my health.
Good points. It's also more natural for us humans to wake up early. I remember when I was waking up very early for about a month and even when I got 6 hours of sleep, it felt much better than going to bed at 02:00am and waking up later.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I've found waking up early in the morning is the same for me. I'm way more productive during the day knowing the most important tasks are done already. 6 AM is probably the sweet spot as I could never quite adjust to 5 AM or under.
06:00am is probably more sustainable long term. Going to bed at 10pm or 11pm is not so difficult. But going to bed at 8pm or 9pm is much harder, especially if you're an active person.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
The author of Miracle Morning raved in his book about waking up at 5 am or earlier daily, but what happened to him in the end?

What a legendary line! All cars kneel before Pagani :devil:. God on wheels.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I have recently switched from getting up at 7.30 AM to 4.15 AM and have never got this much done or felt so positive, so yes is worked for me.
What is the total hours you sleep daily ?

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I think waking up early is pushed by the self development industry. You don't have to wake up early to be successful. We're all different and some people do their best work late at night, others early in the morning. As long as you don't wake up at a time where you feel guilty, I think you're fine.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland

What did happen to him?

Damien C

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 19, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I think getting up early benefits those who have standard 9-5 ish jobs. It allows you to prioritise and work on your own goals and ambitions before you are derailed and hit with everyone else's priorities. Once you're on your own schedule, maybe, maybe not? Only you will know this.

Personally I have never been a fan of exercise first up in the morning. I've tried it, I hate it. My body hates it, and I simply don't enjoy it. I do it at the end of the day to wind down after a stressful day. I don't care what the science is, or what some personal growth blogger says about their "miracle morning" - that works for them? Fantastic! I am sleeping in.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Ultimately this is the answer.

What did happen to him?

As far as I know, he's doing well. Or did something happen?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Pick some big goal that you have.

Try waking up early every day for 3 weeks.

Then answer that question for yourself.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
As far as I know, he's doing well. Or did something happen?
This was my question as well. He was in a car accident at age 20 -- is that the reference?

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
06:00am is probably more sustainable long term. Going to bed at 10pm or 11pm is not so difficult. But going to bed at 8pm or 9pm is much harder, especially if you're an active person.
I’ve never been able to get to sleep that early. Just feels weird lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.