The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is viral bad press good for sales?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Castaway

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Feb 15, 2014
The Woods
Has anyone else seen the “$100 tree branch” going around on social media? (See below)

68D37CAB-05A9-4C9B-A2C2-53A00E9774D3.jpeg

The joke is to send the screenshot to your significant other and post their reply’s in the comments. Typically they make fun of the price, etc.

It got me thinking...

Does all this new attention and awareness actually increase sales for the product, even with people making fun of it?

We sell a product that could piggy back off this trend perfectly and would get a very similar reaction... I’m wondering if I can cultivate it (paid or organic) and if that would actually lead to an increase in sales?

Obviously very hard to actually quantify without a case study but interested in y’all’s opinion! If nothing else, it’s interesting to think about.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Has anyone else seen the “$100 tree branch” going around on social media? (See below)

View attachment 35697

The joke is to send the screenshot to your significant other and post their reply’s in the comments. Typically they make fun of the price, etc.

It got me thinking...

Does all this new attention and awareness actually increase sales for the product, even with people making fun of it?

We sell a product that could piggy back off this trend perfectly and would get a very similar reaction... I’m wondering if I can cultivate it (paid or organic) and if that would actually lead to an increase in sales?

Obviously very hard to actually quantify without a case study but interested in y’all’s opinion! If nothing else, it’s interesting to think about.

Maybe, if you look into Supreme they used to sell bricks at rip off prices, think they actually sold out, and cards of humanity sold out 30k units of cow poo at $6 a box.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Yes.

This is a single product in a huge store that most people won't even know.

So the exposure it would normally have is microscopic.

But by virality, it is spreading to thousands of people in their target market.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.