The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is There Too Much Hype?

Destined

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 12, 2011
Hi Fastlaners :)

I am putting up a new optin/sales letter page and was working, on choosing my power words that strike a nerve, when a prospect reads it.

I have been a fan, student of copywriitng for over 8 years now. In copywriting, the words that we choose are extremely important. One of the most, powerful words is "secrets" . I love this word and so do tons of professionals that write good copy.

My only issue is this, the "FTC" has been getting tougher, and they do not like hype at all. Many sales pages use the word secret to make the audience, think that what they will learn...by buying this product is truly secretive. In, reality there was/were no secret method(s) at all.

Do you guys/gals feel that this word, can trigger the ftc to put your product, under the microscope?

Ex: "7 Secrets That Will Make You Lose 15lbs, In 15 days By Doing 1 simple Exercise"

In, reality what you...teach is no secret at all. It, is all common sense....

By having, such a headline..can the marketer/producer get slapped by the FTC?

The point, of the headline is to sell and get the audience glued to the product. But, I feel such words, can carry too much hype.

What is, your view on this?

Ty

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is the hype you advertise actually true?

Destined

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Dec 12, 2011
Is the hype you advertise actually true?

For sure, In all honesty...it's not much hype either. Simply using the word "secret" makes it seem like hype. The Content, itself is no hype at all. So, I decided..to use other words that, do not seem like hype. In, copy as you know, the word secret, is a word that draws attention, so I would have liked to used it. No, biggie :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Simply using the word "secret" makes it seem like hype.

It would be a "secret" to anyone who isn't aware. I'm sure on a planet of 7 billion people at least ONE person who find the secret secretworthy. IMO, i don't think using the word "secret" is actionable because it's too subjective. The danger area is making substantive claims which need to be proved in case they are called into question. "The secret fat-burner that will shred 22 pounds in 2 weeks." <--- the word secret is not the potential trouble area.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.