• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Is there an attorney in the house?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by kurtyordy, Oct 4, 2007.

1. kurtyordy

kurtyordy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $235
    I remember reading the story of one of our new members that they are an attorney. If someone is an attorney, please give me your opinion. Of course you will not be bound by or held to any liability due to your answer, and I should consult my own attorney. That being said, I wanted to get an opinion so I can go into my attorney meeting informed so I can keep them on their toes if they are lazy.

Here goes: Many states have rules governing 'charitable sales promotions' taking place in thier state. However, if my 'charitable sales promotion' only takes place in cyberspace, am I bound by those rules since I am not actually in their state?

Also, I am assuming this is a question to go to a business law attorney?

Thirdly, what is reasonable for me to expect to pay. I have not idea whatsoever.

2. yellowpad

yellowpad PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $60
    If you live in that State having business license to do business in the city of that State, you are subject to that law in that State whether you're in cyberspace or nor. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. Corrado79

Corrado79 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    You probably were referring to me. I am an attorney, but I have zero experience with the issue you have. In fact, the laws regarding personal jurisdiction and choice of law over the web are constantly evolving. As such, it would definitely be advisable to hire an attorney. While such a specialized attorney would be pricey, it would not take him/her much time to answer your question.

To help you, in order for the attorney to properly answer your question, he/she will need to know MANY more facts such as:

- How much promotion are you doing exactly?
    - What are your promoting?
    - Are you targeting specific states or the nation entirely?
    - Are you seeking money from people in certain states?
    - How much specific contact do you have with a certain state?
    - Are you trying to utilize the benefits of a particular state?

That would be just a start. Personal jurisdiction and choice of law is a VERY fact-specific inquiry so you should have all relevant facts, in specific detail, laid out on paper before your meeting. I hope that helps.

andviv likes this.
  4. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,421
    Corrado79, rep++
    Thanks for giving the right answer, which in this case was "I don't know". Many prefer to lie instead of saying they don't know about a topic.

If only more people were willing to say "I don't know"!!!!

5. venom

venom New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
  6. Corrado79

Corrado79 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $37
    Thanks. Glad I could help. Good luck with your inquiry.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.