The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is there a side hustle list?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Joshy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 26, 2014
Hi guys,

I remember seeing a thread a while back that had a list of side hustles that people could do. Unfortunately I can't see to find that thread any more! If someone knows which thread i'm on about, can they please post the link?

I'm currently working on the development of a product for a very specific niche, this is my main priority, but i'm just looking to try and make some extra cash on the side - nothing major, around £500 extra a month.

I'm hoping this thread will give me some motivation to try a side hustle!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joshy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks guys. Appreciate you posting the links.

Currently reading @GrumpyCat's hustle's guide to buying and selling anything. I've got a lot more reading to do before I actually do anything as at the moment, i think the fear of losing my money whilst trying to flip items is stopping me. I need to change my mindset and realise that even if i lose money, its all part of the learning process.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
Thanks guys. Appreciate you posting the links.

Currently reading @GrumpyCat's hustle's guide to buying and selling anything. I've got a lot more reading to do before I actually do anything as at the moment, i think the fear of losing my money whilst trying to flip items is stopping me. I need to change my mindset and realise that even if i lose money, its all part of the learning process.
Look at my diary. Here's the link. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/glorydogs-bootstrapping-diary.58817/

Seriously. Just get out and do it. Don't buy things for more than what you can sell them for on eBay. That way, you always have a place to bail on an item if you made a bad decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joshy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 26, 2014
Thank you. I've just read your thread, it's rather inspiring. You seem to be doing well.

I've been looking at items on Gumtree and eBay and then comparing them to the sold listing prices of the same items on eBay. Trying to familiarise myself with the prices that I should be buying at, and then prices I should sell at.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
Thank you. I've just read your thread, it's rather inspiring. You seem to be doing well.

I've been looking at items on Gumtree and eBay and then comparing them to the sold listing prices of the same items on eBay. Trying to familiarise myself with the prices that I should be buying at, and then prices I should sell at.
You don't really need to know the prices on things, that will come with time. What I do is I go on Craigslist and the first things I look at is cell phones. I go through and look at anything I haven't looked at yet and if I see something that seems like it may be a good deal, I look on eBay to see what it goes for. In my area, the iPhone 5 goes between 200-220 (I've just learned through experience, it's really the best way) But on eBay they go as low as 180 for a used one (Not refurbished, etc.) This tells me that I need not buy the iPhone 5 for much more than 180. I find people that are asking for around my buying price and text them and tell them I can give them $180. If they say no, I tell them I'm always here if they choose to come back to me. Many times, they do.

On that point, I want to tell you something that I feel is very important. Don't be a low-baller. I hate them, you hate them, everybody hates them. I buy my products at a fairly high price compared to others, and sell at a pretty low price compared to others. Smaller margins, but faster flips. Early on, speed is everything.

Seriously, though. Take whatever money you have in your wallet, your bank account, in your piggy bank... Whatever, and go buy something today. Not tomorrow, not next week when you've familiarized yourself with prices. Find something you can make $20 on, buy it and sell it. Get the ball rolling and you will be surprised at how quickly this all builds up, and how quickly you learn prices from experience.

Last edited:

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Really digging the side hustle nation podcasts. I found a nugget of gold that was exactly what my son needed for a project he's working on. Great stuff.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm the low-baller you hate. lol Back when I used to buy from Craigslist to resell, if someone was asking $700-$900 for a washer and dryer I was determined to get it for $250-$300..... and sometimes I would. It really started out as a game to me to see if I could do it. Then I'd clean it up, take better pictures and give more detail and double or triple my money usually within a few days.

On another note, I like buying and selling cheap jewelry. I have no idea why, I don't wear jewelry and I like to buy ladies jewelry, I know, kind of weird. lol So I set a dollar limit, say $3 and go to ebay to buy. Sometimes I only set the limit at $1, it just depends what I feel like. Then what ever you buy on ebay, turn around and sell it on Craigslist for $30-$75. We've even used local auction houses to sell before. That was back when we went to auctions all the time. There isn't much money to be made at the local auction houses but the lil woman gets excited when our stuff comes up for bid. lol

Our best buy at the local auction house: 2 pictures we bought for $11 and sold for $850.
Our best loss at the local auction house: these 7 statues that we were going to pay $65. The seller could not show providence. My wife works at a museum, she tried to make this sell happen but to no avail. If we could have gotten the papers, they told us those statues would be worth several hundred thousand dollars but we couldn't, so we passed..... :( We could have sold them on the black market but it wasn't worth it to us.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.