The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is stocks a fastlane investment vehicle?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

imirza

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jul 29, 2007
"Is stocks a fastlane investment vehicle?"

Too me fastlane is all about leverage.

Can you apply leverage to stock investing via call and put options ? Yes

You can control $100,000s worth of stock with a few thousand dollars. That is leverage. That is Fastlane.

Walley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Oct 1, 2007
Seems like you're getting an average of 10% a year on trading if you trade well. So correct me if I'm wrong...slow lane for people with less $ but can be fast lane for people with a lot of $$..?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Seems like you're getting an average of 10% a year on trading if you trade well. So correct me if I'm wrong...slow lane for people with less $ but can be fast lane for people with a lot of $$..?
I've heard of people getting 5-10% per MONTH on returns if they have an established system they use.

But, for the most part, I would say stock trading is fastlane if you know what you're doing. Other's could argue that it's just an "accelerant".

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Jim Cramer always refers to the stock market as the only place where people can get rich quick in America, blah blah blah -- But unless you have serious INSIDERS information, you're never going to do it making 10% a year... You need to find that stock that shoots to the moon 1000%, etc... Just my thoughts.

- Hakrjak

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Stocks are just a more liquid way to invest in businesses.

The way most people invest in stocks isn't really fastlane.
They pick the large cap, blue chip stocks with no growth left in them.

You want true ownership, go small-mid cap
(but ya gotta do your own research there, no analysts covering)

And yeah, for my safety portfolio, I average about 12% after fees
(I pay for management,
stocks, like real estate,
aren't truly passive income if you manage it yourself).
Not exactly fastlane.

But for my fun portfolio, well,
I've had 4 and even 10 baggers in a single year.
Lost my shirt on other ventures though.
Averaged out okay.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
JScott,
Please share your definition of fastlane so that I might understand it better. I sense that it involves occupying none of your own time. So, starting a business is not fastlane, nor is real estate investing, or establishing a website (all of which are on this site).

Please correct me and/or elaborate so I might understand. Or if anyone else can shed light, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Investing in paper assets is no different than having a job (perhaps a high paying job if you're good at at, but a job none-the-less). When you're not trading (or protecting what you own), you're not making money.

So, it's no different than a job. And most people would agree that a job is not fastlane...

Most jobs aren't fastlane, but some can be if you make enough money. I know of a lot of people making $500k+/year. That is fastlane. Just because they are in the "rat race" doesn't mean they aren't in the fast lane.

To OP's question, I think it really depends how much you are making to determine if it's fastlane. If you make $50k/year trading stocks as your job it's not fastlane, but if you can make $500k/year trading that's fastlane.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
JScott,
Please share your definition of fastlane so that I might understand it better. I sense that it involves occupying none of your own time. So, starting a business is not fastlane, nor is real estate investing, or establishing a website (all of which are on this site).

Please correct me and/or elaborate so I might understand. Or if anyone else can shed light, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

kidgas,

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=23

People's definitions differ. Just because you work a job doesn't mean it's not fastlane if you make enough money though.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Well in that case is gambling a fastlane vehicle? ;)

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Thanks, I had the opportunity to read that thread and re-read it. I will stand by my original comments that, for me, I believe stocks will be my fastlane vehicle. It does consume some of my time, as would building a business, but has the potential to accumulate great wealth in a relatively short time frame. Thus, I believe it fits MJ's definition mentioned in the thread. Jesse Livermore made a fortune on the day of the great crash in 1929. I believe stocks can be fastlane.

KyJoe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 28, 2007
It's a nice part of the puzzle, but I have yet to meet someone that started with next to nothing, invested it, traded, and really got rich. I have made some money, and have friends that have come out really well, but they had a pile to invest in the first place. Don't get me wrong, starting a hedge fund, managing opm, etc can work. I cringe every time I hear someone tell me that they listened to Dave Ramsey, and now they are investing $30.00 a week in a mutal fund which will make them wealthy when they are 50 years old.

I am not saying to invest, you can and need too.

A job can be a fast lane, but taxes really bite. If you owned a company (instead of working for it) you can make less, and have more because of tax write offs, depreciation, etc.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Investing in paper assets is no different than having a job (perhaps a high paying job if you're good at at, but a job none-the-less). When you're not trading (or protecting what you own), you're not making money.

So, it's no different than a job. And most people would agree that a job is not fastlane...

Treat paper like a business (the way it should be treated).
Once you have developed a system that works,
hand the system off to a management team.

That's how paper, real estate AND business
goes from active to passive income.
No exceptions
('course then y'all going to come up with exceptions... LOL).

RAiMA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 24, 2007
Sydney, Australia

I don't agree. There are certain systems that only require like 1 or 2 hours a month that allow you to run successfully. That's not the same as working 160+ hours a month.

A job may keep a person tied down, while if done correctly, the stock market can buy back your time and free you up. It comes down to designing your life and finding the systems that reflect the lifestyle you wish to live.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.