The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is starting a business EASIER than finishing school???

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Obviously there are more graduates than business owners so let me expand a bit.

I am currently in my Senior year of college. I was just working on homework a minute ago and I absolutely hate it. I wouldn't be worried if I was in an art history class. But I am in ALL business classes.

I find business and entrepreneurship fascinating and have studied plenty on my own. But classes and homework suck. So my question really is. Am I screwed? If I hate this will I hate starting/running my own business? Are my dreams just dreams?

Have any of you hated business classes but love being in business?

P.S. I've always hated school but now I feel like I hate it more after I read TMF . It feels like a waste of time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Obviously there are more graduates than business owners so let me expand a bit.

I am currently in my Senior year of college. I was just working on homework a minute ago and I absolutely hate it. I wouldn't be worried if I was in an art history class. But I am in ALL business classes.

I find business and entrepreneurship fascinating and have studied plenty on my own. But classes and homework suck. So my question really is. Am I screwed? If I hate this will I hate starting/running my own business? Are my dreams just dreams?

Have any of you hated business classes but love being in business?

P.S. I've always hated school but now I feel like I hate it more after I read TMF . It feels like a waste of time.
Looking at your title and reading the post, you have a lot to learn.

Looking for EASY?

Stay in school.

Good luck.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I feel like its pointless.. I do learn things sometimes in class but homework assignments just drain the life out of me. I feel like there is no real achievement at the end of all this. Like it will all be for nothing. It's just so other people can see I got a degree and judge me accordingly. It would be stupid to drop out now but I still feel like it is a waste of time.

And I understand business isn't easy. I put that in the title to hopefully grab some attention. My main question is will I enjoy it more than school. Because if I hate it this much I will never succeed.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I feel like its pointless.. I do learn things sometimes in class but homework assignments just drain the life out of me. I feel like there is no real achievement at the end of all this. Like it will all be for nothing. It's just so other people can see I got a degree and judge me accordingly. It would be stupid to drop out now but I still feel like it is a waste of time.

And I understand business isn't easy. I put that in the title to hopefully grab some attention. My main question is will I enjoy it more than school. Because if I hate it this much I will never succeed.
Business is freakin hard work without a guaranteed outcome.

School may be hard work but it has a guaranteed outcome. A degree. You have people telling you exactly what to do, when to do it, and how to do it.

Real life is not easy and there are no guarantees.

Your whining is being read that you are averse to hard and work.

Put your big boy britches on and get ready for a healthy dose of real life.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta

In business, every day seems this way, especially in the early stages. How long can you endure those days depends on your true motivation.

So to answer your question. No.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I am currently in my Senior year of college.
Nice. See it through to the end! You're almost finished.

My main question is will I enjoy it more than school.
Most likely. It's not easier though. But, the challenge makes it better.

Schooling is pretty structured so it can be easier. Once you understand the system and apply yourself in each class, then you just get good grades. The professors tell you what to study and what will be on the test.

I personally hated school too. I stuck through it though and have a Bachelor degree somewhere. I'm not sure where it is. Don't care either.

I can tell you that the next 3.5 years after graduating college was some of the toughest years of my life. A lot of trial and error, learning about myself, and working on getting my business working how I wanted it. Your struggle might not end after school, but you might be dealing with a different kind of struggle that might fuel your fire.

Definitely use the forum as much as you can to educate yourself as your finish your senior year. And hey, why not get started with your business now?

It might help you get through the classes and exams because you know you're working on something bigger.

Good luck!

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I feel like its pointless.. I do learn things sometimes in class but homework assignments just drain the life out of me. I feel like there is no real achievement at the end of all this. Like it will all be for nothing.

I wouldn't disagree with that

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015

You have two choices - accept it for what it is and approach schooling with a positive frame of mind, or make a change (dropout).

Judging by the bolded sentence it seems you've already decided you won't drop out, so accept the situation you're in and drop all the negative thinking. Learn as much as you can, develop habits that will help you in business, get good at focusing on your tasks and getting them done quickly.

There's nothing stopping you from starting something up on the side while you study either.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Definitely use the forum as much as you can to educate yourself as your finish your senior year. And hey, why not get started with your business now?

It might help you get through the classes and exams because you know you're working on something bigger.

This is what is helping me get through school. School is not a whole lot of fun when you want to move forward in life while being held back by the very thing that is supposed to move you forward.

If you can handle the course load, then try and do something on the side, like starting a business. At least you will not feel like your time is not being completely wasted.

Make sure you take all the knowledge you can with you however. They may be college classes, but more likely than not you will be able to apply the knowledge from business classes to your own business... who would have though.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
This is what is helping me get through school. School is not a whole lot of fun when you want to move forward in life while being held back by the very thing that is supposed to move you forward.

If you can handle the course load, then try and do something on the side, like starting a business. At least you will not feel like your time is not being completely wasted.
One point to add. When I was in school, I was working on a business but I was doing it the way the professors recommended.

Ended up spending my senior year working on a massive business plan, researching, and doing a bunch of stuff that wasn't getting me any closer to my first customer. By the time all of that "preparation" was done, I was burnt out from the whole thing and just wanted to graduate haha. Plus, my target market didn't understand the product or why they needed it o_O.

If I went back in time, I'd focus on getting paying customers right from the start, then adjust from there.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
School is structured and actually ends. If you F*ck up in school, you just wait 3 months until the semester is over and you reset to zero again. Real life is real, it never ends. There is no winter vacation, summer vacation, or spring break. It just keeps on going. If you F*ck up, it's not going away in 10 weeks. These are HUGE differences that most college grads don't fathom. Alot of people have trouble at this point because their first 21 years of life people have been telling them what to do or what they are supposed to do.

When you are older and you look back at your life, I will bet that college will be one of the easiest things you've ever been through. Hopefully that gives you perspective on what the real world is like.

To answer your question, it sounds like you just need to toughen up. If you absolutely hate school, show yourself that you can finish it, fight through the pain. You learn alot about yourself doing the things you absolutely hate.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
I take it you're still young, so you're dreading school and want to do the things that excite you, like business.

Don't look at the Marks, Bills, or any other outliers who dropped out and succeed in business; remember most of those people got into very prestigious school and dropped out because they had something BIGGER to do, not because they were bored with school.

From my experiences I've learned that the kind of person who can't finish a 4 year degree due to boredom, scattered focus, or having an over in inflated ego, they're also the people who never succeed in business until they develop change.

You think school's boring?

Start a business and see how much boring work you'll have to do for the first few years. Business is the hardest thing you'll ever do, not because it's an unsolvable science, but because you have to sustain a consistent effort for years on end before you achieve your desired results, and for the most part the work isn't pretty.

I'm not for schooling either, I think most of the higher education and degrees issued by majority of universities/colleges are quite useless to most people.

The point isn't whether you should dropout of college/university and start a business or finish your degree first and then do business or whatever.

Like I've said, forget the tech giants and entrepreneurial legends who dropped out and made billions, look at the reason WHY they dropped out(it wasn't because they were "bored") and who they ALREADY were(over excelling students/individuals with a clear plan of what they truly wanted to do ) when they dropped out to pursue their ideas.

Snoophek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Oct 8, 2016
I'm studying International Business right now and God has it nothing to do with real business.

I mean, sure, Macroeconomics and Maths is all great, same goes for Management and Law... but to be honest I learned much more from MJ's book than I did in the Uni. I feel like the only useful class is Business English.

I was just working on homework a minute ago and I absolutely hate it.

I have the same feeling man, but when I think something is senseless, I just don't do it(if it's not for a mark). Have you ever thought about how hard is it to stand up early to go to school and how easy it is to stand up when you have something exciting ahead? I can learn about things I'm passionate about all day and it is a pleasure, but try to have me sit down and learn useless formulas by heart.

I haven't had a business yet, but I think this is what makes it easy. Of course, it's hard at the same time, but in a different way. Plus you don't have to sell your soul for 3$ an hour(minimum wage in my country).

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Starting a business is super easy.

But starting and running a successful business is a ton harder than finishing school.

If you want to start a business, then start one. Fail. Adjust. And then figure out if you could be good at it.

I can almost guarantee that the level of difficulty will be 100x harder than getting a college degree. However, that can be cancelled out by your level of satisfaction. If you enjoy the business you're operating, and the process of building a business, then you'll be considerably happier than you were at school, and the level of difficulty won't make a difference.

Ricardo's

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 7, 2016
Denver ✈️ Chicago
I don't see how studying business and running a business would at all stimulate you in the same way. You just need to try it and experience it to feel it. Business is more risk but higher satisfaction in pushing it to its limits.

_Seba_

AAA
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jun 24, 2015
Germany
I left school after I read the book because I thought business is easier. Guess what happened?
Exactly, nothing. I was doing nothing for 3 months and was glad when they accepted me to repeat the year.

Don't quit. Prove yourself you're able to go through tough times.

And to be honest: If you really want it, there is enough time to get started beside school.

Last edited:

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Let me squeeze in my observation!

I have an IT certificate, Bachelors Honors in International Relations and just completed Masters of Science in Strategic Planning and Organizational Management. So, I've spent a fair amount of time in education.

I think the subject you study per se is not the most important thing. What is more important is your developing ability to deal with pressure, ability to self-motivate, ability to research projects in order to complete them on time and so on.

In my opinion education is a great stepping stone in developing discipline and great habits that eventually shape your character - believe me, without them you will drown in a sea of wantrepreneurs.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Starting a business is very easy. You just rent some office space, file a DBA, and open a bank account.

Starting a business that makes money is a little more difficult. It requires a lot more critical thinking than going to college. Most school work/tests in college consists of regurgitating information.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Is starting a business EASIER than finishing school???

F*ck no! Next question?

Seriously...it's cliche but true...nothing worthwhile in life is easy. Get over it. If you're not ready to work go back to vegging out on YouTube. I coasted through university, skipped 70% of my classes, studied for exams and passed as a mid-level student. It was a pain but it sure as hell wasn't hard. You're in for a real eye opener after graduation.

Starting a business is hard work. A LOT of hard work. You need to be versed in all aspects. People, sales, marketing, tech, copy, graphics, products, etc. Your knowledge needs to be wide AND deep.

It feels like a waste of time.

You're not using school to your advantage. You're not looking to see how this applies to YOUR business ideas. You're not looking at your school work for areas of opportunities. You need to change your mindset.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think your question is more of a question pertaining to MOTIVATION, ACHIEVEMENT, and FULFILLMENT.

From that perspective, YES, business can be a lot more rewarding than college -- instead of getting an A, C+, or an F, you get money, you lose money, or you get silence. THE MARKET IS YOUR TEACHER AND ULTIMATE GRADER. But it is in no way is business "easy."

Entrepreneurship is one big roller coaster and when you're young and unfamiliar with how the real world works, it has more dips than peaks.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I think your question is more of a question pertaining to MOTIVATION, ACHIEVEMENT, and FULFILLMENT.

From that perspective, YES, business can be a lot more rewarding than college -- instead of getting an A, C+, or an F, you get money, you lose money, or you get silence. THE MARKET IS YOUR TEACHER AND ULTIMATE GRADER. But it is in no way is business "easy."

Entrepreneurship is one big roller coaster and when you're young and unfamiliar with how the real world works, it has more dips than peaks.

Sir, I guess that at the end of the day, academics rely on a perfect reality, very everything goes well like fairy tales that begin with 'once upon a time'. :)
But I guess that there's no other exciting way to get wealth other than entrepreneurship. To go Slowlane scrimping and saving would be to sorrowful an attempt to get rich.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Damn, thanks everyone for chipping in to give advice, I really appreciate it. I can't believe this thread even got to two pages.

I feel like I'm the stereotypical millennial, lazy, been given everything, never really criticized harshly by parents or friends. I'm so glad I've given you guys the chance to give me a real a$$ kick. Thank you guys.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
If you F*ck up, it's not going away in 10 weeks. These are HUGE differences that most college grads don't fathom. Alot of people have trouble at this point because their first 21 years of life people have been telling them what to do or what they are supposed to do.

This. A thousand times this. Our entire world would be different if everyone understood this.

It took me several years and a lot of disappointment to grasp the way education had conditioned me for a reality that doesn't exist outside of the education system.

Suck the turd, finish school, then move forward.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.