The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Portfolio Management Slowlane or Fastlane?

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

Hayek

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jun 26, 2012
Just finished MJ’s book, and I am not sure if my plan is Slowlane or Fastlane. I think maybe a bit of both. Would love to get your feedback.

So, a quick synopsis: I am a Certified Financial Planner at an independent fee-only investment advisory firm. I have a website that pitches the service that I offer: comprehensive financial planning for a flat fee (currently $600). I differentiate myself from my competition – primarily insurance agents and stockbrokers – by my focus on financial planning and my ability to be objective. To wit, my firm does not sell any commissioned products and I am getting paid for the financial planning, so my conflicts of interest are minimal. I utilize Google AdWords to drive traffic to my website. The plan I put together for clients recommends a passive buy-and-hold investment strategy that just about anyone can implement on their own. But I also make clients aware of peer-reviewed academic research about an active investment strategy that has historically outperformed buy-and-hold with much less downside potential. Typically about half the clients I present plans to prefer the active strategy to the passive strategy and ask me to manage their portfolio in that style for them. I charge them a fee based upon a small percentage of their assets under management to do so.

It seems to me that the first half of this equation, financial planning, is Slowlane. I am selling 8-10 hours of my time for a $600 flat fee. The second half, portfolio management, is much closer to being Fastlane. It is scaleable in that I will spend the same amount of time providing portfolio management to 1 client as I will to 100. And, by the way, the investment strategy I use does not require a ton of my time to follow. Further, I typically only need to meet with clients once a year when I am managing money for them, so while the portfolio management fees I collect are not 100% passive money, it does not take a huge time commitment per client. When all is said and done, I think I can personally handle 360 clients (2 a day, 4 days a week, 45 weeks a year) with a minimal supporting cast. If the average client has a $500,000 portfolio and I charge 1%, that will provide me with $1.8 million in annual revenue. Plus, I will have built a business that I can sell to another advisory firm for a 2-3x multiple if I wanted.

The biggest problem is that it takes time to build up to 360 clients. Even if my marketing system is really cranking, I probably cannot put together more than 90 or so financial plans a year. And if half of those result in portfolio management clients, it will take 8 years to get to 360 clients.

There are, I believe, two ways around this time constraint. First, I could just become the CEO and Portfolio Manager of the firm and hire other Certified Financial Planners to put together the plans and meet with the clients. I could even expand beyond my current locale and make the business regional or even national. Of course, this is a lot more administratively challenging and would tie my time up in other ways.

Or second, I could simply try to work with individuals with more assets for me to potentially manage – maybe by building a specialty practice working with entrepreneurs, for instance, since as MJ informed, most penta-millionaires made their money as entrepreneurs. I also have some ideas as to an investment strategy I could use to start up a hedge fund, and attract the really big money, but that is probably more of a “windshield wiper†project for the moment.

So, any thoughts? Am I on the Slowlane, Fastlane, or some weird amalgamation of the two? Maybe what I am doing is an example of Intentional Iteration?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrucetonGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Sep 28, 2011
First, I could just become the CEO and Portfolio Manager of the firm and hire other Certified Financial Planners to put together the plans and meet with the clients.

I think in order to make this Fastlane, this is the way you need to go.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Are you any good?

How much have you made for yourself?

I am sure you are investing your own money into your own system and making a killing.

Use your results as advertising.

And then start asking your current clients for referrals.

Get one client, prove you can deliver what you say you will, and this client will tell others pretty soon.

And you can use hi/her testimonial to attract more customers.

I would worry about having a "proven" system before worrying about the the scales and number of clients.

But... it sounds to me you know what is the right path.

don't you need to have some especial license and years of experience to run a firm like the one your want to have? If so, do you meet that requirement?

Hayek

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jun 26, 2012
I think in order to make this Fastlane, this is the way you need to go.

Once I get my marketing system really cranking, I will have to decide whether or not to go this route. Quite frankly, my issue with bringing on other advisors is control. Once I share my business plan with them, what is to keep them from starting their own firm based upon that strategy. Or, even worse, work in my firm for several years and then breakaway, taking clients with them. It might be less of a headache to limit myself to the number of clients that I can personally comfortably handle.

One way to handle this concern is to bring aboard advisors who lack entrepreneurial drive, i.e. who were working in a support position prior to my bringing them aboard. This would make it less likely that they would decide to start up their own competing firm. And, of course, I could utilize no-compete provisions to make it more difficult for advisors to leave with their clients in tow. But no-compete provisions are not fool-proof, there are ways to work around them.

Without a doubt, lack of scale and time is what keeps portfolio management from being a true fastlane enterprise. Superior advisors typically make up for it using magnitude, i.e. serving wealthier clients.

Covester and other online investment advisory platforms are also an interesting way to try to break out of the scale and time limitations. But most people still want to work with someone that they can meet with in the same room.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hayek

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jun 26, 2012
Are you any good?

How much have you made for yourself?

I am sure you are investing your own money into your own system and making a killing.

Use your results as advertising.

And then start asking your current clients for referrals.

Get one client, prove you can deliver what you say you will, and this client will tell others pretty soon.

And you can use hi/her testimonial to attract more customers.

I would worry about having a "proven" system before worrying about the the scales and number of clients.

But... it sounds to me you know what is the right path.

don't you need to have some especial license and years of experience to run a firm like the one your want to have? If so, do you meet that requirement?

I have my Series 65 license. That is all you need to become an Investment Advisor or to open a Registered Investment Advisor firm. The Certified Financial Planner designation proves I have undergone rigorous training in financial planning, and have passed a comprehensive 2 day 10 hour exam on that topic. (The national pass rate is 56%.) It also signifies I have at least 3 years experience in financial planning and that I have sworn to serve my clients as a fiduciary - meaning I am legally required to provide recommendations that put their interests first and foremost. But it is not required to become an Investment Advisor.

I certainly agree with your thought that I should build a proven system first and then worry about scaling it. I am in the midst of doing that.

With regard to utilizing my personal track record, I do share that, but I also utilize academic research that shows the track record of my investment strategy over 80+ years as opposed to my much more limited personal track record.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.