The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
You mean, making sure to get some comfy chairs and propose free wifi to get a guy staying 2h with only one espresso!..
What are your thought on Starbucks ?

starbucks is a winning concept . my local starbucks are always full of customers

and i am tired because i love calm and peace and i can't find that in these crowed coffe shop

business is a war, life is war. you must be a strategist

here is what i mean.

" LOSE BATTLES BUT WIN THE WAR: GRAND STRATEGY"

Grand strategy is the art of looking beyond the battle and calculating ahead. It requires that you focus on your ultimate goal and plot to reach it. Let others get caught up in the twists and turns of the battle, relishing their little victories. Grand strategy will bring you the ultimate reward: the last laugh.

Robert Greene, The 33 strategies of war

the point is not one shot -one sale with one student

the point is repeat business with students and their friends and lifetime value of a customer

you must win long term, not short term

i suggest you read Jay Abraham Materials . you will find the solution for your specific case because he has worked with 400 different industries

start to listen and watch free materials from his website which he is giving away .

https://www.abraham.com/gifts/thankyou.html

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
starbucks is a winning concept . my local starbucks are always full of customers

and i am tired because i love calm and peace and i can't find that in these crowed coffe shop

business is a war, life is war. you must be a strategist

here is what i mean.

" LOSE BATTLES BUT WIN THE WAR: GRAND STRATEGY"

Grand strategy is the art of looking beyond the battle and calculating ahead. It requires that you focus on your ultimate goal and plot to reach it. Let others get caught up in the twists and turns of the battle, relishing their little victories. Grand strategy will bring you the ultimate reward: the last laugh.

Robert Greene, The 33 strategies of war

the point is not one shot -one sale with one student

the point is repeat business with students and their friends and lifetime value of a customer

you must win long term, not short term

i suggest you read Jay Abraham Materials . you will find the solution for your specific case because he has worked with 400 different industries

start to listen and watch free materials from his website which he is giving away .

https://www.abraham.com/gifts/thankyou.html

And by long term, you mean doing the same strategy Starbucks did for years ? (brand image, create a "hype" behind their brand...)
Thanks for the share i'll read it tonight ;)

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
Update on the Starbucks location which has opened 2 weeks ago :

Our sales didn't fall even a bit, my gut told me to make a paid FB publication the day before the opening, i've done it and hit big numbers on views & likes and repeated that the two weeks following and we had new customers every time, in fact they didn't know that we were here! I've made 3 publications with 20 euros (15 000 targeted people everytime) with Instagram too.

So at the end we didn't move but grow, but instead the customers who didn't like what we were doing went to Starbucks, principally to take a picture or two to be famous on instagram and then came back to us to say that they won't go again to SBucks.

What can i take from this observation ? People seek quality, authenticity and humans.
But again, not every person of the franchise are 'hustlers' and don't have the same work ethic, and that's what got me afraid and that's why i'm thinking about @458 who own a business, which can be scaled but located in only one place, so he got the control.

And to update my project, nothings moved from the last time due to a long negocation with the townhall of where i've found my commercial space. (Without a terrace i'm invisible from the masses)
In the meantime, learning more about marketing/branding and looking at the market of what can be done or not, as i'm not fix at one industry.
Reading stories of successful members of this forum and what they've done to make a move/choice, and TBH i'm considering moving to something else, if an opportunity shows up.

Josh Harmsen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Oct 9, 2017
Florida, United States of America
Hi guys,

I've recently introduced myself on that forum and i was wondering what's your thought on Coffee Shop, is it scalable or is it a dead end and a direct way to the slowlane ?

I've been a Barista for 4 years now, i know everything about coffee history and coffee industry, i'm a manager in a Coffee Shop and i run it besides the owner (my parents own it) so i know everything about how to manager suppliers, H.R, Financial ressources and everything who goes with it (Communication, Social, Events)

I deeply think that opening a Coffee Shop is too simple and that if it's too simple, everyone can copy it and maybe do better than me, and if that happen', i would be kind of stuck..
Everything i see on this forum is about bringing value to people, got no expectations from anyone, i've already got that mindset as my parents taught me it all my childhood but i'm stuck with that idea that Coffee Shop was scalable at the time where Starbucks wasn't on the French Market but market is kind of full with Starbucks who's opening like EVERYWHERE.

I could bring value in this domain because i got the knowledge and i care about my customers, my team, as much as i care about my product and quality, even if speed is the assets...but everywhere i go (coffee shop), i don't see creativity, i don't see quality, you got my point..The Sugar Franchise..Starbucks!

The only thing is, i want to create a business that can be franchisable, not that i care only about money, but money can buy your new parents house in the seaside, that's my motivation...

What's your thought on that ? Any suggestions ?
I'm good at what's from italian culture so if you got an idea(coffee,cooking,pizzas...), don't hesitate.

Thank you for taking the time to read ;)

You have to have something that distinguishes your shop from other shops. You also need to have a good name, you need to stand out, e.t.c. Also, would be open to franchising if your shop does well?

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
You have to have something that distinguishes your shop from other shops. You also need to have a good name, you need to stand out, e.t.c. Also, would be open to franchising if your shop does well?
The product and the ambiance / design in itself is different from what we can find outhere, but what is scary is..that people don't really give AF and can't make a difference between a "craft coffee" and a capsule.

For sure i would love to, the idea of having my work everywhere would be satisfying.

laurenaria10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 8, 2017
Slat Lake City USA
yes opening a coffee shop was a good idea but currently there are a lot of marketing competition so i don't think so that it is a good idea you have to find out new need of the market.

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
yes opening a coffee shop was a good idea but currently there are a lot of marketing competition so i don't think so that it is a good idea you have to find out new need of the market.
As i am in France, the trend don't move that much, i mean Specialty Coffee is a thing but don't have a lot of interest for it.
I can't stop looking at what would come next but i don't see it, for me the ""Third Wave" had a big impact on the US, but here in France the good old Café - Brasserie is working very well to and won't move.

Siegward

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 6, 2017
Italy
Coffee enthusiast here, from Italy (sei italiano no?). I don't like italian style coffee and basically only drink third wave style (light roast specialty coffee extracted with V60, Kalita etc.). From what you're saying I think that France, like Italy, is very conservative coffee wise. It think you would need to "push" the new concept of coffee, because most people will be fine drinking the same old coffe they are used to for a long time still.

As far as I know, for a third wave coffee shop to thrive, selling food and meals is more important than selling good coffee. It's basically impossible to survive with only coffee so any business project will need to consider this. A good italian example of third wave coffee shop is dittaartigianale.it

I also caressed the idea of doing something coffee related... light roast coffee, which is non bitter and delicious, is very hard to find in Italy. But I don't think the italian market is ready yet... and the capsule market is the Fastlane way to make money, as sad as coffee capsule are. People don't always care about real quality, alas

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
3 months has passed. How has opening this thread helped you in your thought process? Did you break it down into steps that you could validate e.g. sitting outside an existing coffee store and counting the number of daily customers to estimate revenue? Testing your assumptions on what makes a great coffee store?

Or was it all a case of mental masturbation?

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
For your idea, yes you can by Crowdfunding, it depends on the size but a Coffee Shop cost around 200/400K to open here with all the furnitures, architect ...(70/90m2)
I would have Money aside before hoping a crowndfunding would help me.

Last edited:

ALC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 19, 2017
France
I think, in the beginning, it would work with little but antique furniture or I can reuse some old furniture. Crowdfunding?? Can you explain more? Where should I do crowdfunding?

Up to you, re-read your article you’ll find your answer

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Just finished reading this thread. Alessio, what's the update on the coffee shop now? Are you still working in the same coffee shop or looking to differentiate from others etc.?

Miljan Minic

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 19, 2022
I've been thinking about that idea, but i think opening a new concept is way more rewarding and if it work, i can after that buy a roaster machine and begin to roast my own coffee and sell it..
Hi,
I think that roasting your own coffee is a good idea because you can sell it to other businesses.
Only thing about the roasting is that if it’s difficult, it will be almost impossible to find someone to replace you so you need to think about that or it will be derail you to slowlane.
I suggest you to read the book by Michael E. Gerber “The E-Myth Revisited”.
Hope it will help

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.