The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is my first client's website viable as a portfolio piece?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
She asked you to do something and you did it.

Presumably with good communication, on time and to her satisfaction.

That's all she needs to write in her testimonial.

Will it be that helpful for you? Probably not but it's nice to have isn't it?

A builder put in a new side window for my parents. It won't help him get any major building contracts but they still put a review on Trustpilot for him as he did what they asked. They broadly wrote what I did above, no mention of what the job actually was. It's not the work he wants you see.

So don't get her to say you just did a form for her. Get her to say how you were to deal with. Understand?

Portfolios are useful for showing a prospect something relevant to reduce risk of them going with you.

Make sure your next customer has something more in line of what you want to be doing.

eg If you had done the entire site for lead generation purposes that would be 100% relevant when talking to other Mental Health Counsellors or similar fields to drum up business for yourself but totally irrelevant to someone wanting a full on eCommerce store like GAP.

Dan

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
My first website was for a mental health counsellor. She was pretty happy with the results!

Here's what I did:

1. Created a website to represent the business
2. Included social proof by showing certifications
3. Included a Google map so people can actually find the business
4. Most importantly, made it easy to get Referral Forms, which is the focus of the site. I used multiple Call To Actions to make it simple.

Here's what I didn't do:

1. I didn't convert any cold traffic. The client has more than enough customers and didn't want more.
2. Use copywriting. The client wanted to keep her own text.
3. Create a sophisticated website. It is very simple.
4. Convert much traffic, since the business is almost entirely word of mouth.

So given these positives and negatives, is the client's website viable for my portfolio? What can she say in a testimonial?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
Then what was the point of the website?

The main point was to provide referral forms. The entire website points towards this.

It also informs people who have heard of her services by telling them what it's all about. And it makes it easy for them to find her business.

Last edited:

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
I suppose the web site converts warm traffic then?

This client was a friend who approached me about a website. I wish I could do a lot more, like copywriting for example. Given these limitations, is it still positively representable of my work?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.