The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it Possible

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Is it possible?

I can't get rid of the burning idea in my head that it is possible to become free. To own my own business or even freelance, to be able to travel, to be able to live in Peru for a month, to study traditional medicine in China, to do a weeklong retreat of silent meditation somewhere, to eat healthy.

But yet I feel so trapped. I make $10 an hour and am about to graduate with a Bachelor's in Psychology. I have no idea what to do, where to go, how to make this happen. I've read lots of books, 4-Hour Workweek, Education of Millionaires, etc. but yet I just don't know where to begin. I feel as though I am the only one who wants this, maybe I need a new circle of friends. I feel the pressure of money everyday.

The one thing I guess I have is age. I am only 22 years old. I don't want this post to sound like an emotional outcry (maybe it is) but I am sure there must be people on here that just couldn't take their current situation anymore and that is what caused them to make the leap.

I need someone to tell me it is possible to achieve this dream. If anyone has any guidance, that would be appreciated. I am serious about doing whatever it takes. I would sell everything I own and relocate if I had to to make it happen.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Can you state your goal in a few words as I am not really sure what you want to do and have a guess that you don't either really.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Halfstep,

Do not pressure yourself too hard or you will just feel like you're spinning your wheels. Be open to ideas, observations, and gut feelings. You must write down your major definite purpose in life in one sentence. What will make you the happiest, most fulfilled, energized, (you name it). Take a step each day to get you closer to this goal of : (starting a business, a new invention, a service, etc).

I can relate a lot to you in the way of wanting, but it boils down to action. How bad do you want it? Really.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is it possible?

Not if you don't believe it.

If you don't have the belief, you need to start there. To change your outcome you need to change your choices which need to come from your beliefs.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Halfstep,

Do not pressure yourself too hard or you will just feel like you're spinning your wheels. Be open to ideas, observations, and gut feelings. You must write down your major definite purpose in life in one sentence. What will make you the happiest, most fulfilled, energized, (you name it). Take a step each day to get you closer to this goal of : (starting a business, a new invention, a service, etc).

I can relate a lot to you in the way of wanting, but it boils down to action. How bad do you want it? Really.

Yeah you are exactly right. I am pressuring myself too much.

My goal is to have freedom. Therefore I need to start a business or income that allows me to make enough money to do what I want while not tying me down to one location.

I think my biggest problem is too much knowledge (too much reading, not enough action). I feel like I need a guide or template of steps to take and focus on those rather than reading any more information. Anyone have something they have used?

MJ DeMarco: I understand what you're saying. I wrote that post late one night during financial stress, I think I was looking more for people on the forum who have come from my situation who have done it to help change my beliefs.

I've read The Four Hour Workweek, Education of Millionaires, read Ramit Sethi's stuff, countless blogs, etc, taken Entrepreneurship and Small Business MGT in College, and was thinking about reading The Millionaire Fastlane , but again I don't want to keep spinning my wheels.

There seems to be so many options out there that my mind wants to research the hell out of everything and never take action.

I need to take action. I am not sure where to start however. Would you recommend taking those two books I have and not touching anything else until I've mastered those books?

Thanks for everyone's advice.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
and was thinking about reading The Millionaire Fastlane , but again I don't want to keep spinning my wheels.

The other books you mention give you ingredients to success; I give you the entire formula. Read TMF and if you don't feel it solidified your direction toward "freedom", Ill give you your money back.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Halfstep,

You sound a lot like me- primary goal is freedom, ive read the same books as you (4HWW, EoM), done a lot of other reading but feel i should take more action.
Just thought id chime in and say that MJ's book is honestly the best book ive read on the subject and probably the best book ive read in my life. I read it and felt relieved that I wasn't alone in my mindset and beliefs, and that someone who shared a lot of my thoughts and outlook had actually achieved incredible success. It sounds like your the type of person that will connect with what MJ has to say and will gain a lot of value from the book. Im sure you wont feel that it is a waste of time.

(The only other that I would suggest is worth reading before taking action would be Felix Dennis's 88 Narrow Road. I liked it more than 4HWW and EoM, but its still not in the same league as MJs.)

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Halfstep,

You sound a lot like me- primary goal is freedom, ive read the same books as you (4HWW, EoM), done a lot of other reading but feel i should take more action.
Just thought id chime in and say that MJ's book is honestly the best book ive read on the subject and probably the best book ive read in my life. I read it and felt relieved that I wasn't alone in my mindset and beliefs, and that someone who shared a lot of my thoughts and outlook had actually achieved incredible success. It sounds like your the type of person that will connect with what MJ has to say and will gain a lot of value from the book. Im sure you wont feel that it is a waste of time.

(The only other that I would suggest is worth reading before taking action would be Felix Dennis's 88 Narrow Road. I liked it more than 4HWW and EoM, but its still not in the same league as MJs.)

I read the narrow road and found it interesting as well, but NOTHING like TMFL!

RE Taipan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 28, 2007
Balboa Island, CA
My goal is to have freedom. Therefore I need to start a business or income that allows me to make enough money to do what I want while not tying me down to one location.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

My 2 cents....read MJ's Book...then re-read it...then read it a 3rd time...then understand that you will not attain your goals by merely chasing $$ (what is what you are saying you need/are going/want/to do....this just does not work :talktothehand:....you MUST find a need and find a way to solve a need that the needy child consumer wants satisfied....

...in other words...
  • Chase Needs Not Money
  • Learn and follow the 5 Fastlane Commandments
  • Learn and follow the 5 Fastlane Business Seedlings
Then...after you understand those concepts and elements....read MJs book again.

Best to you in your journey,
Robert :smxF:

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
It IS possible...

There are many people that went from one taco cart to a chain of restaurants.

Find what taco cart will do that for you.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Halfstep,

Hi Townhaus. Thanks for your response. I'm convinced, I will go get the Millionaire Fastlane and read it.

I made a list this summer and promised myself I wouldn't read anything other than 4HWW, Education of Millionaires, and Millionaire Fastlane . I need to FOCUS and master principles rather than filling my head with more and more information (which is just addicting and doesn't seem to produce any results).

Do you mind me asking where you are in your journey and more about yourself?

My 2 cents....read MJ's Book...then re-read it...then read it a 3rd time...then understand that you will not attain your goals by merely chasing $$ (what is what you are saying you need/are going/want/to do....this just does not work :talktothehand:....you MUST find a need and find a way to solve a need that the needy child consumer wants satisfied....

...in other words...
  • Chase Needs Not Money
  • Learn and follow the 5 Fastlane Commandments
  • Learn and follow the 5 Fastlane Business Seedlings
Then...after you understand those concepts and elements....read MJs book again.

Best to you in your journey,
Robert :smxF:

Thanks Robert. I've placed a request to read the book out of the library. Could you expand more on the "Chase Needs Not Money" concept? do you mean that simply chasing money for money's sake won't work, that you have to have something you want to do with the money, such as travel, in order for it to work?

If I understand correctly it sounds like I just simply want money, but in reality what I need to do is sort of set the idea of "money" out of my mind and think of it more as value exchange. That I need to offer people exceptional value, not that I need to "make" money.

I have some various interests. I work for a non-profit organization called NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) and I take mentoring calls and help people who have substance abuse, mental issues, etc. It's not really in line with my goal to make a substantial income, but for now it allows me to survive and I have really learned how to listen, which I think will help me when I need to listen to my customers and discover their real needs.

My other interest is nutrition and health. I've read a lot of books on nutrition in the past 6 months and can't stop consuming them. Again, though, the way to make significant amount of money in this field in the way I want to would be to develop a program for people and sell it.

I'm thinking I really just need a vehicle to provide the income I need. I spin my wheels thougg wondering where to spend all that time and energy building something. I'm getting to the point where I think I just need to start acting on everything until something finally clicks. Anyone have experience with this? It's like I'm interested in EVERYTHING, and therefore get good at NOTHING.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Chasing a need and not money simply means that if you find a solution to a problem the money will come. Let's take the pen. Before we used ball point pensd we used a feather or quill and dipped it in an ink well. It took a long time to write a letter using them and you had to let the ink dry and it was not always neat. So the need was to speed up the process and keep it neat and the ball point pen was born. Look around and try to find something that needs to be simplified. Or a need that is not being filled yet. Or try to combine 2 things to make one useful new product. The person who made the ball point pen just wanted a better way to do things.

Charles Fuchs

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 28, 2012
Las Vegas
Not if you don't believe it.

If you don't have the belief, you need to start there. To change your outcome you need to change your choices which need to come from your beliefs.

This is %100 True, all action and focus comes from your beliefs. So change what you pay "attention" too... If you watch sports all the time, you will focus and talk about sports all the time. Change the mindset!!

D

DeletedUser2

I've placed a request to read the book out of the library.

Take a deep breath....

then let it out.

now,

Go read the book and you will then have the frame work to ask better questions of this group, and hence a refference point to understanding the answers.

if you must, get it on the kindle, and read it there.

Good luck, see you when you get the book read

Z

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Read the book (to the Appendix which I'm going to read later).

This book is amazing. Apart from the fact that I live in Utah and have been fantasizing about moving down to Arizona for a while now, the book is raw, offers the information you need, and admits the road is hard as hell but worth it.

My question now is this:
I feel like I really should take a few books and master them. Read them over over until the information permeates my life and turns to habit. Get rid of all the excess infmOn the other hand, I have subscribed to various podcasts to broaden my knowledge and learn more about the internet, etc.

But then I stop myself and ask, "Am I just spinning my wheels more and more?" I feel like I need to get out there and START something, anything, even buying and selling on Craigslist, to actually start LIVING and DOING it.

What do you guys do when you start spinning your wheels? Where do you find those needs that can be turned into a fastlane? How do you get started in finding out a need that can be solved or a business to be improved upon and go at it? Read one book OVER and OVER or read 20 books?

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
But then I stop myself and ask, "Am I just spinning my wheels more and more?" I feel like I need to get out there and START something, anything, even buying and selling on Craigslist, to actually start LIVING and DOING it.

That's exactly where I was at a few weeks ago. Lots of reading, bouncing ideas around, but not doing anything other than research or writing. I started buying and selling on Craigslist and eBay (thanks, RichKid!) just to get the juices flowing. Made a little bit of money, changed my mindset, and now I'm much better focused on where I want to go. I'm currently charging headlong into an entirely different business pursuit, but it's fastlane as hell and I'm dying to put up the url for people to critique the idea. It's "not ready for prime time", but it will be enough to evaluate the viability when it does go up. That's all a topic for a separate thread - don't mean to hijack.

Anyway, DO start SOMETHING. Even if it's not fastlane, if it's been done before, doesn't matter - get some action going. Reading about and planning to turn the handle is not the same as turning the handle. Turn the damn handle.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Thanks Amail.

That's awesome you are heading for a fastlane, you should send me the URL as soon as it goes up.

How did you find your need for the fastlane?

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I'll be broadcasting it far and wide when it goes up, I'll definitely post it here first! I think it will be by July 1.

I found this by looking for a solution to my own need. Couldn't find one. Now that I've got the ball rolling, I did discover another company that does the same thing. I'm relieved, actually, to discover this because I was beginning to wonder if there might not be a market for it after all. My service will be priced differently and I will be marketing it differently.

MJ is 100% right - chase needs, not money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...