The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it OK?

monerap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Dec 30, 2014
Hey everyone

In "Hello from Denver - self publishing success" topic author said

<<My formula is simple.

Step 1 - Look at what is selling.
Step 2 - Come up with my own spin/version of it and sell it. >>

If i look what is selling and write a book very similar to it, is it OK?

I am not copying that book . But "inspired" by that book.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUser113

e3ilN9w.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
write a book very similar to it, is it OK?

This of course is an ethical question. My answer is NO since you're taking someone's creative IP and using it for yourself.

To address what @Held for Ransom said, he was referencing mining certain categories with rich buying activity and focusing on those.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
If i look what is selling and write a book very similar to it, is it OK?
You never want to copy another author's characters and plot, but you can follow the general theme and type of book. As a starting point, don't model one particular book, but rather consider several in the genre and write one that's uniquely yours.

Consider these as broad plot outlines.
  • A human falls in love with a supernatural creature. (Examples: Twilight, Discovery of Witches, AngelFall, Halfway to the Grave)
  • A police detective solves a crime.
  • A nice girl falls for a bad boy and wins his heart.
  • A child deals with the trials and tribulations of middle school.
In the above examples, you could write different variations of these themes in countless ways. Put your unique spin on it and go from there. But whatever you do, don't copy another writer's plot, don't lift any wording, don't think you can start with someone else's book and modify it to make it "unique." It won't be unique, and you'll quickly find yourself in big trouble, rightly so.

Good luck!

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Write about sex or mystery or about a child who grows up with cancer and only has a month to live. Those themes seem to be popular at the moment :p

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
How about writing a book about someone who writes a book by taking someone else's book and rewriting it?

Seriously.

You start with a blank sheet of paper.

Don't put your blank sheet of paper over someone else's book and trace.

Dare to be great.

Dare to do something that will make you legendary.

Dare to do something original.

Then, and only then, will you become a writer.

Short of that, and you're just a copycat.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Don't put your blank sheet of paper over someone else's book and trace.

lol I love that line. Think I if I change Don't for Do not and end the sentence with 'it' I can say it's mine? ;)

Take heart in the fact that you very unlikely to be coming up with an original plot or idea.

Shakespeare pretty much covered the full gamut plot wise and even he was worried about originality.

If there is nothing new under the sun, but that which
Has been before, how are our brains cheated,
Which, toiling to create something new, mistakenly
Brings forth something that already exists

Shakespeare - Sonnet 59 (paraphrased)

Having said all that it seems to be that you are approaching this from the wrong objective. Not out of the need to write but out of the desire to earn a fast buck. Without the first and with your mind firmly set on the latter you are doomed to failure.

I would say draw a line through it as an idea and move on (your head is still in the wrong place as you are chasing money rather than looking at ways to provide value by helping others). The cornerstone of success is in realising that money is a by-product of helping others and can be measured in direct relation to the value you provide. The more value you give the more money you get.

If you are in need of a fast buck and strapped for cash start a window cleaning round or a car wash. Pretty much all you need is a ladder and a bucket.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Take heart in the fact that you very unlikely to be coming up with an original plot or idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

I think that is where the debates come in between literary fiction vs. commercial fiction. One says you need to follow the plot, structure, and the other breaks some rules. My advice is if you want to be a writer, you'll never make money period if you're to lazy to learn the grammar/the writing skills/ and be creative. Money may be on your mind, but it takes far more discipline then slapping book covers on a book, and writing a few words. I see these money hungry people on Amazon. Ha ha! Terrible handbooks on picking eyeliner and eye shadow, term paper effect, one pagers. And you'll get bad reviews right off the bat if you don't have any clue how to write, and I've been writing for a few years, and still working on stuff now perfecting things. It doesn't happen over night, and unless you're willing to write and write and write, you'll quit before you even make a dime.

If you're not serious about writing, save us from the bad writing. And I do have to still agree you can't write a best seller in a rush that will be bought by the masses unless you do know your stuff.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
The general idea is that if books about girls falling for vampires are popular right now then you write a book about a girl falling for a vampire. You don't actually read their book, change the names, alter the plot slightly, and publish it.

I'd prefer to come up with my own idea, but this concept has been proven for sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.