The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it just me or is service at restaurants terrible now?

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
For...it seems like the last two years? I've had almost consistently bad service while eating out.

Missing silverware, wrong orders, no one refills my drinks.

I know its not some bias or a change in my expectations , its driving me and my wife bonkers, sometimes we don't notice until halfway through the meal (so I'm not priming myself for bad service here)

Is this just a string of bad luck for me or did something suck all the smiles and hustle out of my waiters?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
For...it seems like the last two years? I've had almost consistently bad service while eating out.

Missing silverware, wrong orders, no one refills my drinks.

I know its not some bias or a change in my expectations , its driving me and my wife bonkers, sometimes we don't notice until halfway through the meal (so I'm not priming myself for bad service here)

Is this just a string of bad luck for me or did something suck all the smiles and hustle out of my waiters?
Any particular chain? It seems even the higher up dinning spots have been cutting corners to save the bottom line. It may just be bad luck. Steak and Shake normally has terrible reviews but the few times I've visited, its been solid. Of course I rarely eat outside nowadays so I can't really gauge the service as well.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
It's a combination of bad luck, location and confirmation bias....

Although has there been any change in the tax laws for serving staff where you live? Maybe they've just had their tips taxed, thus the good ones have left and the ones who remain are on too low wages to care.

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
Well there tends to be a pattern with franchises. That is why the "newness" of the restaurant eventually fades and the service turns to shit. Corporate sends out their best employees to help with opening the franchise. Once it is up and running and the staff is trained, the corporate minions are peacin' out and wishing the staff best of luck. So those that remain are getting paid low wages and just don't give a crap about anything. They just show up and expect to receive a paycheck for doing the bare minimum. Not to mention smart phones ruining your service because the damn staff cannot break away from their phone soon enough to check what Kim Kardashian's fake injected bubble a$$ looks like in a corset. Hence the old saying "Where the hell is my waiter?" They are on their phone in the corner over there or they are flirting with another staff member at the bar. If I go out to eat, I expect great service because me or my wife can cook way better than the food that is attempted to be served to us as if we were lining up at the cow trough. Crappy service equals crappy tip!!

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Yes.

When im doing consulting one of the first things I look at is the quality of service the customers are getting.

Quality customer service and sales ability seems to be severely lacking for many businesses today.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I remember when I moved to Arizona that I noticed that the service was markedly poor compared to Chicago. I'm sure it hasn't improved, I think it could be because the SW is more laid back and lackidasical. That's one thing I miss about Chicago -- the service tends to be great at most restaurants.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
UUGGHHH! Don't get me started on that topic. And I regularly dine with people who won't say anything if something is wrong, and like the example in another thread--THEY WORK FOR YOU. And then they go through life anxious because nothing goes right.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.