The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is google plus dead ?

Marketing, social media, advertising

jamez1515

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Jul 22, 2017
Miami, USA
Recently, I have seen an article on Google Plus. Where they claimed observations compared to facebook, the conversations are 80% more on facebook, 60% high on linked in compared to google plus..
I just want to know whether any one from this group benefited from google plus?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
how-google-plus-was-formed-comic-meme.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Was it ever alive?

Don't think so.

Moreover, it proves execution is difficult, even for a trillion dollar company with unlimited resources and traffic. Will all that, they still COULD NOT create something viable.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Funny enough, Instagram was launched shortly before Google +, and Snapchat was launched shortly after, both with a tiny fraction of the resources and leverage.

Lesson learned.....even with all the resources in the world, you're still usually better off creating something new and better (or different) than chasing market share with a knock-off, even with excellent execution.

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England
Can't remember ever using it or knowing anyone who used it wasn't it just something that you had to have if you wanted a youtube account?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Don't think so.

Moreover, it proves execution is difficult, even for a trillion dollar company with unlimited resources and traffic. Will all that, they still COULD NOT create something viable.
yeah, and they used to promote it from the google search page ... for every single search processed. Try paying for that kind of advertising

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I remember when it first came out in 2011 or so. I had just graduated from college and started getting into Gary V.

Vaynerchuck popped because he was on Twitter in 2006 before most people and built up a following.

I had naive visions in my head of getting rich and famous like Gary V by being a force on G+. I'd give talks to high school students about G+. I'd write books and hobnob on a yacht with Zuckerberg and Bill Gates. We'd be the "Big 3" of tech.

I created groups ("circles" as G+ called 'em), posted content in them. Messaged everyone in my groups..blah blah.

What a stupid waste of time...

[I was dumb. :) ]

TheRegalMachine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 27, 2017
Moon Base
Google+ was a bust because Google forced it down their users throats. Not a good way to implement a new social media platform by strong arming users from Youtube into using it. I remember there was a huge fuss during that time because people weren't too keen on being forced to take something they didn't want or asked for.
Of course the mob died down, signed up as required to keep their Youtube accounts active, but they didn't forget or forgive Google. so Google+ never took off and was DOA. It now stands as a digital ghost town tacked on to other more useful Google products.
Because you're the biggest bloke on the block doesn't mean you can just shove a new product/service on your existing users and expect them to just take it because you say so.
No introduction, zero marketing, not even trying to build a user base around the new platform before hand, just,
"Hey you have to sign up with this NOW or your Youtube account will get deleted. Enjoy. - Google"
For some companies it seems, the bigger they get the less finesse they have.
And it may not hurt their main products but it leaves a lingering stank with a lot of people in the long run.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
growth rate is 33

Aren't you automatically added to g+ with a gmail signup, or Android phone activation? A good portion of that growth is probably throwaway addresses at Bangladeshi clickfarms.

What do I know...

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Recently, I have seen an article on Google Plus. Where they claimed observations compared to facebook, the conversations are 80% more on facebook, 60% high on linked in compared to google plus..
Definitely dead, but if you are somehow driving business results from the platform, go ahead...

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I saw a statistics yesterday which mentioned Google plus 27 million unique monthly visits and growth rate is 33%.What do you think about it?

I think it's garbage.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
The big problem with G+ was the interface and trying to create a social platform within the existing framework of Google the way they did it. People don't use Google for social. They use it for email and search.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
That's not the only thing they're forcing down user's throats...

I don't get it. Can you please elaborate in more detail?

What else are they forcing down user's throats?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
google+ is just not "cool"

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't understand why Google isn't making more of YouTube as a social network.

Same as Microsoft isn't making more of Skype as a social network.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I don't understand why Google isn't making more of YouTube as a social network.

Same as Microsoft isn't making more of Skype as a social network.
I guess they want to be like Amazon lol...always having all the shots at their beck and call....
I know right...it's strange. Although Youtube is like a separate subsidiary, it's still a beast on the Internet.

Once in a while I find some discussions on PC usage issues on google plus...but it's once in a while.
I was surprised when I first found the feature...I didn't need it.

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
They were foolish to even try. The same network effects that helped Facebook blow up prevented G+ from gaining traction.

Randy Parker

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 31, 2017
Killeen, TX
A lot of people are still using Google Plus. Surprisingly, the site was recently updated too. The site will stay more than we all expect!

Cosepreziose

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Dec 12, 2015
A lot of people are still using Google Plus. Surprisingly, the site was recently updated too. The site will stay more than we all expect!
I love to see a company's employee popping out of nowhere trying to boost his company's credibility like we are all a bunch of fools

Max Gambit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 12, 2017
USA
Google cofounder Sergey Brin admitted that he should not have been even "marginally" involved in the company's social network, Google+, claiming that he's "not a very social person."
"It was probably a mistake," he said on stage at ReCode's first Code Conference near Los Angeles, "for me to be working on anything tangentially related to social to begin with."
Maybe that's all we need to know!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What else are they forcing down user's throats?

Well, lets just say their SERPS aren't objective results free from SCRIPTED propaganda. I quit using G-search nearly 2 years ago when they started glamorizing people who shouldn't be glamorized. And don't get me started on the crap they pulled during the election. It actually belongs in the other thread "when did you realize the system was rigged" -- once again, we have a huge corporation with the ability to influence the minds of the masses, and those masses are generally clueless to what's being fed to them.

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
Well, lets just say their SERPS aren't objective results free from SCRIPTED propaganda. I quit using G-search nearly 2 years ago when they started glamorizing people who shouldn't be glamorized. And don't get me started on the crap they pulled during the election. It actually belongs in the other thread "when did you realize the system was rigged" -- once again, we have a huge corporation with the ability to influence the minds of the masses, and those masses are generally clueless to what's being fed to them.

True true.

th5BQAIHGX.jpg

I think I learned about some of Facebook's shenanigans from another thread around here too...

Why Facebook Makes You Feel Bad About Yourself | TIME.com

Facebook Manipulated 689,003 Users' Emotions For Science

And of course, the neoliberal WaPo jumps in to defend them...

9 answers about Facebook’s creepy emotional-manipulation experiment

Jose L. Nimmons

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Jul 31, 2017
Tempe, AZ
From this Google Trend visual you can see the initial excitement in 2011 which then fades down to almost nothing.
Ambitious attempt to dethrone a competitor is not necessary, what it needs is to grow organically...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Walmart has a philosophy called "eat what you cook" which loosely translates that Walmart associates should buy the company's products, use the company's services, and in general should be promoting what they themselves want to use.

The clearest sign that Google+ would never be a thing was when it was revealed that Google company executives including some involved in the Google+ project itself... didn't even have profiles and/or use the platform.

If Google's Management Doesn't Use Google+, Then Why Should You?

They were all on Facebook.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.