The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is creating competition for the site imgur. com possible from someone that doesn't know any code?

aqweseven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 20, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I have a great idea of creating a website that could possibly be competition for imgur.com, since from my perspective, they are nearly a monopoly when it comes to image/gif hosting websites. At least with reddit that is definitely the case, at least 95% of reddit posts use imgur to share content, having browsed the website for 3 years now.

Another question I want to ask is, what is the best route to go down if I want to build such a site?

My idea of the website is to be as simplistic and user friendly as possible, no users or comments and likes etc, just a plain website that hosts content with some features in mind that will definitely make it unique enough to grab peoples attention over from imgur (an actual benefit/need).

I am 19, only have $1000 in my account so outsourcing is not really a possibility in the near future. So with that in mind, should I simply dive right into learning code or do you guys have other suggestions?

I have read a couple of the threads here regarding to code or outsource, I'm just still finding it hard to relate and come to a reasonable conclusion.

Thanks very much, all help is greatly appreciated!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
On Replacing Imgur

The Reddit userbase has actually been steadily pulling away from Imgur and towards Reddit's own image hosting. If I recall correctly, Reddit users get upset when you start to monetize their toys and gadget which is why they've become steadily disillusioned with Imgur.

That said, Imgur is pretty entrenched with the Reddit userbase. Despite their problems with it, it's just so damn functional. The users and comments don't really bother me as they aren't in the way. Do you even need an account to host a picture?

In other words, the reason they're essentially a monopoly is because they're damn good at what they do. Reddit's own hosting is only being switched to because it's even more convenient.

Not to dissuade you. If you truly think you could create something that is actually superior to imgur and that people really want to use (read that again) then you should be fine. But you cannot just think "Well if I add these super cool features that no one really wants but I like". I've seen countless people think that adding X feature differentiates them from their competitor, and while it might, no one gives a damn.

Are the comments and users really a problem for Imgur users? Does it need to be even more simplistic?

Personally, I don't think so. But if you've got chatter from Redditors and Imgur boys and girls saying so, then it's a good sign (and you should not listen to me). Just be careful you're not projecting your own beliefs onto the market.

On Coding

The reason there is never a consensus in those threads is because every situation is different. Vigilante probably doesn't need to learn code (if he doesn't know it), because he's got the capital and his time would better be spent managing coders than spending a year learning.

Now, from the little I know about you, I would suggest learning how to code. You don't have the money to hire someone, and since you're 19, you probably don't have much else going for you anyway (IE: There's no point bringing in a tech cofounder if you aren't a whiz at the business-end). Don't take that as an insult, it just means you're probably short on an experience.

For your first business, you're probably going to have to get your hands dirty anyway. Hit up CodeAcademy and start learning the basic stuff, and then pick up the language you need. It's going to be a long and grueling haul.

On the upside, even if your site tanks, you'll have picked up a good bit of experience! That'll come in handy for your next venture.

On Your Target Market

Reddit is a beast. You have over two hundred million users. But that means it'll be a nightmare to get most of them onboard. If I recall, Imgur was built when Reddit was still relatively new. It was the wild west, and a bit of gumption, skill, and honesty got you pretty far. Now, you'll need a bit more than that.

Your other options are to target specific niches within Reddit (subreddits and groups). Or a different site entirely. Something that you can tailor your message/outreach specifically to and interact with the users. They'll give you a basic userbase and you can grow from there.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I was going to post basically exactly what Invictus said. Reddit's own hosting is taking over imgur pretty significantly.

Also, imgur is just damn easy. I use it all the time because it's usually faster and quicker than trying to figure out how to host images any other way. Literally you go to imgur, drag any image into the window, and you have your link to share immediately. No account. No login. Nothing. Just drag, drop, image url. The easiest damn hosting service on the planet.

I think there's probably some opportunity with regards to video though - most people are really starting to hate on animated gifs, and they have no sound but they are easily embedded and shared anywhere, like photos. Usually if you want to post a video you have to do funky embedding or link to an external site. I think if someone creates the next "animated gif" of videos, they'll do quite well. Although if I'm not mistaken I think the site "streamable" is already gaining traction here.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Go to code academy and do some coding. If it's something you can see yourself doing a lot of, then keep doing it. If you absolutely hate it, well, there's your answer.

After you have learned some things about coding you will have a better understanding of how it works and what it's capable of and then you will have more information to make a better decision for yourself.

The best thing you can do is take an action. Action leads to better decision making. Not taking action leads nowhere.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
You also need to keep in mind server costs as well. I would imagine Imgur spends tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars per month on AWS fees alone. If you're starting with $1000, growth is literally your worst enemy, since one week of heavy usage will rack up thousands in costs and end up getting your site shut down when you can't afford the server bill.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
My personal recommendation, don't do it. Learning to code is a pain in the a$$. If you're already a coder, then that's one thing.

I would highly recommend hiring an experienced person to build the literal framework of your business.

Would you represent yourself in court after reading a few books?

Didn't think so.

So don't do it with programming.

Oh you forgot to secure this or that from hackers.

Now your site is covered in penises, you're locked out of the admin panel, and some Russian guy is demanding $10k in Bitcoins to change it back.

You also need to keep in mind server costs as well. I would imagine Imgur spends tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars per month on AWS fees alone. If you're starting with $1000, growth is literally your worst enemy, since one week of heavy usage will rack up thousands in costs and end up getting your site shut down when you can't afford the server bill.

What?

If your Internet startup is growing so fast that you can't afford to pay server costs (even with a net-60 0% interest CC like Amex Plum), then you are on the right track. Someone will throw you money.

Money is much easier to get than customers.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
What?

If your Internet startup is growing so fast that you can't afford to pay server costs (even with a net-60 0% interest CC like Amex Plum), then you are on the right track. Someone will throw you money.

While it might make sense for some people in some businesses, this is not one of them. And counting on someone to throw money at you is a poor business model. After all, we are talking high-bandwidth services (image/video hosting) on one of the highest trafficked sites on the planet (reddit). You could literally have 10 users driving terabytes of data usage. And unless the OP is a tremendous salesperson, I sincerely doubt any VC is going to throw a few hundred thousand dollars at company led by a 19 year who outsourced their IT for 10 users. And a business model that won't be cash-flow neutral for years at a minimum. And definitely not in time to make your first AMEX payment.

So if your vision is a service that's 10x better than Imgur, you might have a shot. If it's basically Imgur with a few tweaks, I would head back to the drawing board.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Here are some of my thoughts.

Need
1. Is there really a need? Imgur already has strong brand identity.
2. There website is an easy 1-2 step process.
3. To create something that's competitive will cost money/or time.

Entry
1. If you're outsourcing, the startup cost will be high.
2. This area of business is already established. Its like trying to compete with youtube.
3. You need cash (lots) to keep your idea alive.

Control
1. You can control different aspects less the hosting servers (I think).
2. If you learn to code (can take a while), you can maintain your idea.
3. If you don't learn to code, you play the waiting game.. waiting for your dev to build the product.

Scale
1. It will be difficult to scale since imgur dominates the webs.
2. How can you scale if there really isn't a need for this, imo.
3. How would you monetize this idea?

Time
1. If you learn to code, be ready to invest time in learning. But is it worth it?
2. The idea can be automated but how will it be monetized?
3. Is this idea a money tree or a flop?

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
I have a great idea of creating a website that could possibly be competition for imgur.com, since from my perspective, they are nearly a monopoly when it comes to image/gif hosting websites. At least with reddit that is definitely the case, at least 95% of reddit posts use imgur to share content, having browsed the website for 3 years now.

Ok so what's your plan?

Another question I want to ask is, what is the best route to go down if I want to build such a site?

Build it yourself that way your loses will be less.

My idea of the website is to be as simplistic and user friendly as possible, no users or comments and likes etc, just a plain website that hosts content with some features in mind that will definitely make it unique enough to grab peoples attention over from imgur (an actual benefit/need).

You mean similar to filedropper.com, files.fm, jumpshare.com, and about 500+ more websites?

I am 19, only have $1000 in my account so outsourcing is not really a possibility in the near future. So with that in mind, should I simply dive right into learning code or do you guys have other suggestions?

You're way too broke and have no idea what you need to do. You're also wrong that imgur is not user friendly and something more simple than imgur would be a bad thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.