• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Is anyone open to starting a book club?

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by yveskleinsky, Jun 12, 2008.

1. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,703
    Is there anyone out there who would be interested in participating in a book club? We could get a good list going, (there are already a couple floating around here) decide on 2-3 books, (so we could order them ahead of time) and then discuss them at length. Maybe review 1-2 chapters a week? Anyone up for doing this?

Germanpotato, Venturer and Merkin Man like this.
  2. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,255
    You read my mind, Yves (cue spooky music)

I was going to ask if there were some people who wanted to do this with "Your Money or Your Life", as it ties in w/several of the threads we have here.

I'm game, but not sure if I'll have the time to do this regularly (tho I would love it).

-Russ H.

andyhaus44 likes this.
  3. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,746
  4. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,255
    PhxMJ-

Not sure, but it looks like Legacy Dad's is more like our book reviews section.

I think Yves is suggesting several people get the same book and read it at the same time, sharing their thoughts on the forums.

Right? :chatter:

-Russ H.

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,746
    Admin Post
    Ahhh ... everyone reads the same book at the same time and then discusses... got it!

6. yveskleinsky

Rep Bank:
    $1,703
    Yup! ...I like the idea of starting with Your Money or Your Life. There's a couple of ways of running a book club online that come to mind:

1. We could eliminate the need for formal meetings, by having pre-planned questions for each chapter posted in advance, and people could post whenever they are able- they would just need to reference the questions.

2. We could meet at the same time and have an open discussion about the assigned chapters.

3. We could meet at the same time and have directed discussion about the assigned chapter.

I'm open to ideas. :)

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,540
    Book club would be fun... I've been curious about the current Russ Pet Book, as he has mentioned it so many times lately

8. LaughedAt

LaughedAt Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $190
    That would be really fun. I'd love to participate and even help in starting it!

9. GoldenEggs

GoldenEggs Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $80
    I would participate! I like all the options that Yves presented.

10. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,093
    Very interesting idea.
    So, what to do next? compile a list of books that are of interest for many?

11. Runum

Runum Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,222
    Count me in!:smxA:

12. Bilgefisher

Bilgefisher Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $333
    This is what I was thinking. Btw...I'm down for this.

++ For the idea.
    edit: Bah, seems you've written another excellent post recently.

Any recommendations???

13. yveskleinsky

Rep Bank:
    $1,703
    How about we hammer out the format for a club on this post, and I'll start another post for book recommendations. I would like to get at least 3 books or so in queue, that way we can all order them ahead of time. If we do decide on a more structured format, I would like for us to develop some prepared questions (in addition to open discussion). It would be helpful if someone would volunteer (we could rotate) to be the one who reads ahead and develops the questions for each chapter/book. We can then archive the questions for groups that want to start in the future, and would like a starting point. Just my .02.

...I also vote that we start with Russ' book, as he's mentioned it quite a few times, as has Diane Kennedy.

14. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,255
    Just FYI, "Your Money or Your Life" (YMOYL) has a simple graph in it that changed my life. Seriously.

I had never been able to chart a course for financial independence until I saw that graph.

After that, everything was easy (since all I had to do was research, learn, and execute).

Oh, and Sonya, it's been my pet book for 15 years. Not because it's fastlane (it's not. WAAAY not). But because it taught me to look at money in a very, very different way.

In fact, of any of the fastlaners here, Sonya, Doug, and their family are living the life discussed in YMOYL more than any of us, save for Biophase.

Just a warning: That life changing graph won't be so life changing for most of you. Keep in mind this was in 1993, before Rich Dad, before Suze Orman, before Dave Ramsey's rise to prominence.

But I still think it's a great read, and in fact, I just started reading it again.

So good timing, Yves! ;)

-Russ H.

15. Bilgefisher

Rep Bank:
    $333
    I suggest for the first book, we stick with non-industry related.

Also, I know folks will want to delve into their fields, so we can easily setup 1 month for RE, next for Ebiz etc etc

If that isn't enough for folks, we can break down into the social groups MJ has setup and really get reading.

Here's my suggestion for reading break down.

-1 book per month. 1/4 per week (or however we break it down, but to finish in month.)
    - 1 new thread per week in the book forum ex thread: "Your money or you life week 2 of 4")
    -Last week a full critique amongst readers.
    Critique points
    *Overall flow
    *Fastlane ideals?
    *Speed rank 0-100mph
    *Favorite quote or passage description (including pg #) within copyright restrictions. We don't want MJ in trouble.

-Each week will emphasize a few questions like you suggest.

Yankees338 likes this.
  16. Justin

Justin New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $42
    I am in for this! I read a ton of books, so it would be fun to share with others!

17. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,255
    Bilge-

Lots of great ideas.

Different books have different levels of participation, though-- and length.

So I'm not sure if the 4 week plan is good-- esp for quick reads (those you can do in 3 hours), or long reads (like YMOYL) which ask you to *do* things.

On the other hand, blazing through YMOYL might insure that people got through it (most can't make it past the first few chaps).

Don't know. (shrugs)

-Russ H.

18. Yankees338

Yankees338 Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $163
    Count me in! I need something to be accountable to, so this would be a great way to ensure that I get my reading in.

I like Bilge's ideas a lot (rep+++). I tried to rep Yves, but I'd done so too recently.

YMOYL sounds like a good start. Some other recommendations for future books could be the following that I've had on my list:

1) 4-Hour Work Week (Timothy Ferriss)
    2) The E-Myth Revisited (Michael Gerber)
    3) Good to Great (Jim Collins)
    4) Built to Last (Jim Collins)
    5) The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings (Steve Berges)
    6) How to Buy and Sell Apartment Buildings (Eugene Vollucci)
    7) The Millionaire Real Estate Investor (Gary Keller)

Those are just a few. I realize that some are more industry-related than what the majority might want, so they could always be optional reads or fillers.

19. Merkin Man

Merkin Man Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $143
    Count me in as well.

I have never been involved with a book club and may dissapoint some of the other folks in the club but I am interested in giving it a try. I may need a quick lesson on book club etiquette.

I have a terrible tendency of picking up a book, reading 150 pages of it and then getting bored and moving onto another book (doing the same thing w/ the new book, and the one after that, etc...). This might actually give me the motivation to get back and finish reading some of those books.

I like Bilge's ideas and I second Russ's "Your Money or Your Life" and Ryan's "4-Hour Work Week" suggestions.

Speed +++ for getting this going.

20. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,746
    Admin Post
    I think the new "Social Group" function here at the forum would work for this.

21. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,746
    Admin Post
    Hmmm ... maybe not ... I don't think groups have individual threads which probably is needed to differentiate each book .... a sub-forum might be needed. Perhaps a subforum for all book discussions and the social group for general conversation.

22. Venturer

Venturer New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    Can't it be taken a step further by jointly compiling 'the ultimate fastlane book' using the wisdom that is picked up along the way by reading the various books that will be read and discussed within the club?
    As Bilgefisher also points out no copyright violations shall occur.

Speed++ for the topicstarter

yveskleinsky likes this.
  23. yveskleinsky

Rep Bank:
    $1,703
    Oh I love this idea! MJ- this might be your sequel right here! ...Since we will be synthesizing all of the great financial self-help books through a fastlane lense anyhow, we might as well turn those notes/critiques/observations into an Ultimate Fastlane Book (if MJ approves of course). Haha, how fastlane is that?! MJ could have a sequel/spinoff written and not lift a finger!
    ++rep for the idea

24. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $85
    :idx: How about reading MJ's first book? How much longer are we going to have to sit on pins and needles MJ?

Geez, you'd think he was running a new forum, selling a business and remodeling his house or something.

25. Bilgefisher

Rep Bank:
    $333
    As with anything, I say we get started. Today is 6/14/08.

I suggest we have the first 2 chapters read by 6/29/08 That gives 2 weeks to buy the book, including shipping for you online bargain hunters. Plus get ~75 pages read. (I'm assuming we chose Your Money or Your Life)

Any objections?

The next suggestion I have is to come up with the next book before we finish this one.