The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is affiliate marketing worth getting into??

Marketing, social media, advertising

Is Affiliate marketing worth getting into still?

• Total voters

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Every one I have been talking to of late seems to be telling me affiliate marketing is not worth getting into. I understand it breaks commandment rule first and foremost in fastlane etc. I also believe that selling your own product or service is always the best way to go as alot of times affiliates on others products have troubles getting paid etc.

I am working on my product and it shall be released some time in early 2017. :) However in the mean time I would like to make some extra bucks and thought affiliate marketing might be worth my while.

All I have heard is people making it rich over affiliate marketing over night and I call b.s on that. Everything in life takes time and work. So let me hear it. Is Affiliate marketing worth getting into still? If not what is? Thirdly, depending on your comments, would some one ever be interested in mentoring some one? (I will buy you lunch, dinner, change your bed sheets, what ever it is to learn from the best)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Every one I have been talking to of late seems to be telling me affiliate marketing is not worth getting into. I understand it breaks commandment rule first and foremost in fastlane etc.

According to what? Can you cite this from the book?

I also believe that selling your own product or service is always the best way to go as alot of times affiliates on others products have troubles getting paid etc.

@Andy Black sells others' products and services. It looks like it's working out well for him. He's making passive income off it.

I am working on my product and it shall be released some time in early 2017. :) However in the mean time I would like to make some extra bucks and thought affiliate marketing might be worth my while.

All I have heard is people making it rich over affiliate marketing over night and I call b.s on that. Everything in life takes time and work.

You can get paid with passive income once everything is set up in place.

I remember doing affiliate marketing back when I was 11 for a complete stranger on the internet. All I had to do was post links everywhere and hope someone would click on it, and from that, buy. I actually made $10 in a few hours. For some reason I didn't try again, although I should have! If I could do it all over again, I would.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm going to pick it up again. The way I did it last time - over a decade ago - was one of two ways (I can't clearly remember):

1) Some guy PMed me and we had a convo, I did the marketing, got paid $$$
2) I saw a forum post and commented on it, some guy PMed me and we had a convo, I did the marketing, got paid $$$

So yeah, gotta get breakfast now but I'm going to look into it again when I get back.

Last edited:

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Affiliate marketing is a feed for an already existing business with decent audience, i.e. - blogs, niche websites, forums, social network communities.
In any other scenario it's a waste of time.
I, personally, wouldn't do Affiliate Marketing in any of my communities, because it doesn't stimulate me to create good products myself.

If you have a community with a high degree of trust, don't even try to pitch anything you can't swear on.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
Add me, up and we can keep in chat with our progress and test stuff out together from each others journeys and help each other out. :)

Wow, that sounds like a good idea!

I also have to add that more information can't help you get started, but it can help you along the way. It can only help you get excited, and it looks like you're ready to start. (So am I.) I'm going to go google several forums related to affiliate marketing and see if anyone's looking for help. Talk soon!

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Affiliate marketing is a feed for an already existing business with decent audience, i.e. - blogs, niche websites, forums, social network communities.
In any other scenario it's a waste of time.
I, personally, wouldn't do Affiliate Marketing in any of my communities, because it doesn't stimulate me to create good products myself.

If you have a community with a high degree of trust, don't even try to pitch anything you can't swear on.
Well there is without a doubt you need to be an expert on the subject or become trusted in some way or another the niche you are playing in. Depending on that trust of the niche etc. Could you find people buying from your recommendations

For example: lets say you are opinionated in areas of social media. And you email out an affiliate for Gary Vays new book : Ask Gary V, it becomes a good fit because of the alignment of the social media expertise and now you have an audience who likes your stuff. And oh wait... I am sure people are already fans of his content and books so there is a fit. Great all the way around

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
If you think you're just going to start today and make money tomorrow you're gonna be sad tomorrow night. Like anything else, it's going to take a bit of time to get the ball rolling, and by a bit of time I mean a lot of time.

What's the product you're creating? Start building an audience for it if you haven't already. If you want to make some scratch on the side, find a product related to yours. Buy it or talk to the creator and get the product. Review it. Boom, affiliate marketing. Don't pick something that's competition, find something complimentary.

If you're creating a new dog leash, review and recommend dog toys. Nomsaiyin'?

Completely sidebar/banter/riffing, but your avatar's face is incredibly punchable.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
1. Read The Millionaire Fast Lane. You can get the first three chapters free here : www.themillionairefastlane.com

2. Hang out where affiliate marketers hang out. stackthatmoney.com or warriorforum.com is where a lot of them are. You will find few similarities with affiliate marketers and fast lane forum members. However, keep your membership here as when you launch your product, you will want to get back over here.

Someone mentioned in a thread earlier this week that there were a bunch of threads here on affiliate marketing. There's not. There ARE places with a concentration of affiliate marketing people, and retail arbitrage people seem to go hand in hand with that. However, they don't stay here long. There's not much red meat, edification, or education you'll gain in these pages about affiliate marketing. I'd encourage you to maximize your time by finding places that can feed what you want fed.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto

^this. /end thread.

I did affiliate marketing for years, made good money, but it was temporary and a total waste of my times (several years). Exactly what MJ said is what happened, the company I was marketing for dropped the entire affiliate marketing. $0 earnings with an overnight decision which was out of my control. It took me years to get to where I was with that affiliate. I learnt my lesson the hard way.

There's ways to tap in to the affiliate market though, but you have to be smart, have a load of startup capital and a good team behind you. Think trivago.com, kayak.com, flighthub.com, etc, those are affiliate empires.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
1. Read The Millionaire Fast Lane. You can get the first three chapters free here : www.themillionairefastlane.com

2. Hang out where affiliate marketers hang out. stackthatmoney.com or warriorforum.com is where a lot of them are. You will find few similarities with affiliate marketers and fast lane forum members. However, keep your membership here as when you launch your product, you will want to get back over here.

Someone mentioned in a thread earlier this week that there were a bunch of threads here on affiliate marketing. There's not. There ARE places with a concentration of affiliate marketing people, and retail arbitrage people seem to go hand in hand with that. However, they don't stay here long. There's not much red meat, edification, or education you'll gain in these pages about affiliate marketing. I'd encourage you to maximize your time by finding places that can feed what you want fed.

As soon as I read "warriorforum", that's when I said "Oh shit, warriorforum!" That's actually where I found the guy that I made an affiliate sale for.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
Maybe I'm being dense but are you looking to become an affiliate or offer an affiliate program?

If it's the latter then the question is moot as the the product is important not whether you do an AM program. If it's the former then I might suggest it's also a moot point, because making money working for someone else is commonly referred to as a job and unless I've missed something that's not the purpose of this place.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
What kind of AM are you referring to? CPA Leads? Clickbank? or AM overall?

If it was me I would instead spend my time flipping and honing that skill. With AM you may spend hours upon hours and not even make a single dime (unless you do blackhat of course)

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Damn it, they're right OP. I didn't think this through...we should create great products and get our own affiliates.
Well, look I have always known its better to do your own products. Thats common sense bro. Haha

What kind of AM are you referring to? CPA Leads? Clickbank? or AM overall?

If it was me I would instead spend my time flipping and honing that skill. With AM you may spend hours upon hours and not even make a single dime (unless you do blackhat of course)

I assume you are talking about flipping domains?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
You didn't say what vertical/your intention was?

The best way to use affiliate marketing is to vet an industry from day 1 that you intend on creating a product in. For instance, if you created a successful funnel for an affiliate product, you can switch to switch to your own offer with the flip of a switch, but have profit potential from ground zero with no overhead/time commitment.

What MJ says in the video is absolutely true, and has happened to me numerous times.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
The best way to use affiliate marketing is to vet an industry from day 1 that you intend on creating a product in. For instance, if you created a successful funnel for an affiliate product, you can switch to switch to your own offer with the flip of a switch, but have profit potential from ground zero with no overhead/time commitment.
Wanted to write exactly this. What's awesome about this route is:

1) You'll make money even though you don't have spend a second on a product yet. This means you're able to focus on getting a foot in the niche and generating leads.

2) You can directly test your offer vs. the established offer - if your product converts better / makes more money, maybe you can even convert some other affiliates? ;)

3) The established offer is proven to work and you have a great foundation - much guessing-induced mistakes are no problem here.

4) You will see faster whether or not you're working on something with potential. If you start by creating your product in a new niche you've no authority in, it will take a long time and may eventually lead to disappointment. With this strategy you'll see faster whether or not you enjoy building a business in that space.

In general, you can say that with affiliate marketing you're deleting variables from the equation: Is there a market big enough to build a sustainable business? And does that market want that product?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.