The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Invisible Needles

Sam Kennedy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 21, 2016
This has been on my mind for a bit and I just felt like I needed to post it and see what other people here think.

Earlier this week I watched the beginning of a new TV series with my wife. I don't watch much TV but I decided to watch it anyway. My observation all the way through was that it was just drama for drama's sake. The whole program was just screaming "Get angry about this! Get angry about that!.." and I just imagined an invisible needle protruding from the screen trying to inject "entertainment" and sedate critical thinking/aspirations.

I've been reading Tony Robbin's Awaken the Giant Within and the first chapters are about how we instinctively avoid pain and seek pleasure, or in other words make our dopamine receptors fire. (Sorry if that's not totally biologically accurate, the exact mechanism isn't the point of this post).

We have all associate pain and pleasure to different things, and what determines success in life is what we do to make those receptors fire. Some people physically force it (i.e. Drugs), some people exercise, some spend time with family, others binge watch to series, but it's all to accomplish the same end goal of feeling happy.

What I can't help thinking about now is when I observe people in different settings. If you went out for a meal and saw someone shooting up at a table next to you while their baby was crying you would be horrified, same if someone invited you around to their house and they sedated their children so they could have peace and quiet.

I know it's not exactly the same, but I can't help equating that to seeing people on their phones ignoring children, or sticking them in front of a TV/iPad to keep them occupied.

I see these invisible needles everywhere, from the food we eat, to advertisements, to magazines stocked on shelves, websites, apps, store fronts etc... They're all trying to offer happiness, not all are healthy.

Does anyone else feel like they have taken the red pill and notice these 'sedatives' everywhere?

Apologies if this reads as slightly unstructured, trying to get these thoughts out in a coherent order was a bit tricky.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I just finished Awaken The Giant Within. Great book.

What really struck me was that he wrote the book in the late 80s/early 90s and he describes an economic environment that is exactly like what happened recently. It's mind blowing that the "experts" didn't learn the first time. And it's still happening.

He also makes a reference to the year 2017, which I thought was really cool. A book written nearly 30 years ago, when 2017 would have seemed so distant references something that is actually going to happen.

But yes, I know exactly what you're saying. The world is built around a market of people who don't know any better. People who buy cereal with artificial colors and flavors because it tastes good and "they" say breakfast is the most important meal of the day to jumpstart your metabolism so you don't go into starvation mode. Fill up on this sugar that will make you feel miserable in a couple hours.

I could go on for hours. As you enlighten yourself and steer into the fastlane, your perspective of the world will change forever.

When you open your mind to the world around you, you'll start to see how people are drifting through life and have no idea. It's actually kind of scary. Youll realize how important your time is everyday and that wasting it on tv or video games is not as satisfying as it may once have been.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
This has been on my mind for a bit and I just felt like I needed to post it and see what other people here think.

Earlier this week I watched the beginning of a new TV series with my wife. I don't watch much TV but I decided to watch it anyway. My observation all the way through was that it was just drama for drama's sake. The whole program was just screaming "Get angry about this! Get angry about that!.." and I just imagined an invisible needle protruding from the screen trying to inject "entertainment" and sedate critical thinking/aspirations.

I've been reading Tony Robbin's Awaken the Giant Within and the first chapters are about how we instinctively avoid pain and seek pleasure, or in other words make our dopamine receptors fire. (Sorry if that's not totally biologically accurate, the exact mechanism isn't the point of this post).

We have all associate pain and pleasure to different things, and what determines success in life is what we do to make those receptors fire. Some people physically force it (i.e. Drugs), some people exercise, some spend time with family, others binge watch to series, but it's all to accomplish the same end goal of feeling happy.

What I can't help thinking about now is when I observe people in different settings. If you went out for a meal and saw someone shooting up at a table next to you while their baby was crying you would be horrified, same if someone invited you around to their house and they sedated their children so they could have peace and quiet.

I know it's not exactly the same, but I can't help equating that to seeing people on their phones ignoring children, or sticking them in front of a TV/iPad to keep them occupied.

I see these invisible needles everywhere, from the food we eat, to advertisements, to magazines stocked on shelves, websites, apps, store fronts etc... They're all trying to offer happiness, not all are healthy.

Does anyone else feel like they have taken the red pill and notice these 'sedatives' everywhere?

Apologies if this reads as slightly unstructured, trying to get these thoughts out in a coherent order was a bit tricky.

Very good point which I also thought about it for a while. The thing is people are wired for rewards-dopamine those kind of things and nowadays they are everywhere, also is gets easier and easier to hide "negative feelings".

Tired after work? Check Netflix or your TV cable with 100+ channels of stuff you do not really need to watch.
You have some money to spend but do not have time to go to the shopping mall? One click pay on amazon
Feeling lonely? Check your social media account.

You could have the same 3 elements and respond in different/constructive ways, and that can make life quite different.

Tired after work? Take some time to meditate or workout.
You have some money to spend? See how can you invest,save or buy in something will create value for yourself or others in the future.
Feeling lonely? Engage with the community or call a close friend to see how he/she is doing.

And also build the tolerance to feel sometimes a bit off. By always avoiding pain you do not solve the pain itself sometimes.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Since starting reading consistently last February 2016, things have been surreal. I mean really surreal.

Hear me out. Before I got into this reading spree, I was already an action taker. I was into self-development since high school. But only in spurts. It continued intensifying until today. Nowadays it was like everyday. That program of self-development led to me becoming very skilled.

Tech. I became a proficient gray hat hacker and tech professional. I am consistently happy. I became the top gun of the local dating community. I've had wild adventures. I've had lots of girlfriends and flings. I became a very strong chess player. I became proficient in written and spoken english (Second language). I am a learning machine. I was able to write my first book. I've entered entrepreneurship.

As early as the 2000's, I sensed the gap between me and the "normals". I knew how to "play it down" but I could always see it. I was (and still) leaving them in the dust. They had no idea what was happening in the background despite my immediately apparent lifestyle (Happy go lucky). When my friends and family started seeing the stuff I was able to do, they were always surprised.

Right now, I see people living unconsciously. Repeating the same unproductive routine day by day. I see their negativity and wonder how they could let themselves be that way. My headspace is totally different. I even knew that they will find my behavior a bit peculiar since I now think so differently from them.

No, i'm not focusing on the negative. It's just that you will inevitably see this because you're operating from a different frame of reference. It's surreal. I could only imagine the suffering they go through as a result of their low level attitude and thinking. I know because i've been there in the earlier stages.

Now, all of those negative influences are powerless. I am conscious and I am disciplined. I know how hard it is to be this way. So I know exactly how large the gap is.

The point is, I was proactive. I took control of my development and is still relentless about it.

How I wish for the others to do the same. But in reality, they had to learn this by themselves. Unfortunately for some, time is running out.

Surreal man. Process is an amazing thing.

It's the compound effect in action. I actually think I am lacking in some areas. I just kept and will keep on pushing.

When you grow, you eventually have to leave them behind. Not in the literal way. But in the mentality and behavior way.

It's a hard pill to swallow. But if you want to win, you have to do it.

No exceptions. You're gonna have to venture on your own and trust your own eyes.

Just remember one thing. Always be cool enough to "shoot the sh*t" with your friends. There is a tendency to act strictly sophisticated. But that's not it. You can always be "normal" and yet transcend it.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.