The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Investment Question: Stocks VS Properties

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Hey guys,

Long time member here. Feels good to be back. I actually became some what my successful myself overnight, it only took ~5+ years (have some threads here if you want to look). I'll post an update soon.

Anyway, here's the question:
My parents are thinking about upgrading their investment property which should net ~30k if they sold it (but they will hold onto it).... The investment it will take is around ~120k

Would it be better to just invest that into stocks and hold onto them for at least 5 years?

PS - Fast lane stuff is not an option for them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hey guys,

Long time member here. Feels good to be back. I actually became some what my successful myself overnight, it only took ~5+ years (have some threads here if you want to look). I'll post an update soon.

Anyway, here's the question:
My parents are thinking about upgrading their investment property which should net ~30k if they sold it (but they will hold onto it).... The investment it will take is around ~120k

Would it be better to just invest that into stocks and hold onto them for at least 5 years?

PS - Fast lane stuff is not an option for them.
I wouldn't invest in stocks at an all time high.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Cash is always an option.

BrandonS85

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Sep 8, 2015
Ohio USA
$120k seems like a pretty substantial investment in real estate/property in order to net $30k if it's already owned (I wouldn't be comfortable with that margin). Having said that it would very seriously depend on the timeframe and other situations regarding it.

If their timeframe is 1-3 years, then it isn't terrible, however if it's longer than that and the investment could potentially start to depreciate I would be much more careful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Index Stocks investment?
Not mutual funds however

Best to diversify your money

He may get slagging at times on here but I have just read Tony Robbins new book on this as well as other books and watching the likes of warren buffet etc and I believe this to be a good way to invest as opposed to investing all into real estate

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.