The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Investing in RE notes

TheTicket

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 29, 2008
SF Bay Area
Hey guys - I'm curious, do any of you have experience with purchasing existing real estate notes? I've got a number of related questions, but am having a hard time finding someone with much experience.

thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

reipro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 27, 2007
Lincoln, NE
Yes we have been purchasing notes for years. What do you want to know

TheTicket

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 29, 2008
SF Bay Area
Man, where do I start? :smxB:

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the following questions:
  1. how are you finding the opportunities?
  2. are you originating the note, purchasing an existing note, or doing both? and, do you have a preference of one over the other?
  3. for you personally, what type of return do you look for in order to make the risk worth it?
  4. when analyzing a note, are there any aspects that would immediately disqualify it from further consideration? (I guess this would go into a quick, back of the envelope type analysis...)

I've got plenty more, but I'd be happy if you would touch on any of the above...

thanks!

reipro

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Sep 27, 2007
Lincoln, NE
We buy notes 2 ways. 1) we have relationships with banks that send us lists. We buy only non-performing notes as we can get them at the biggest discount. 2) we follow notice of defaults and buy loans that way also.

1. are you originating the note, purchasing an existing note, or doing both? and, do you have a preference of one over the other?
We stricly buy notes. We have orginated a few notes, but for the most part we only buy.
  1. for you personally, what type of return do you look for in order to make the risk worth it?
We look more at the LTV than the return. Most of our deals can return 20% on the low side to several hundred % on the high side. We also only but notes secured by real estate
  1. when analyzing a note, are there any aspects that would immediately disqualify it from further consideration? (I guess this would go into a quick, back of the envelope type analysis...)
Yes the LTV if we are not getting in at 65% or less we are not interested.

Hope this helps!

TheTicket

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 29, 2008
SF Bay Area
For starters, thanks for the above!

1) we have relationships with banks that send us lists. We buy only non-performing notes as we can get them at the biggest discount.

If you are buying non-performing notes, is your goal to adjust the terms and bring the borrower back into good standing or are you planning to foreclose and take control of the property? (to be honest, I have no idea what the expenses would look like to follow through with a foreclosure, so I'm not sure if this is a viable strategy)

How big of a discount are you talking about? 50 cents on the dollar? More? Less? I would assume that when I start, since I won't have the cash to buy more than one or two, I'll be less likely to negotiate to the same degree that you are able to right now.

We look more at the LTV than the return. Most of our deals can return 20% on the low side to several hundred % on the high side. We also only but notes secured by real estate

Are you also limiting these purchases to notes in first position?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
there was a thread where reipro answered all these questions already. Do a search and you can read a wealth of information from somebody that makes a living out of this.

Mental Rental

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 3, 2009
ALL OVER THE PLACE!
Buy real estate notes is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced. Do you have any experience in a mortgage lender's office?
In my experience, a better starting place is buying a rental property or two and signing a rental agreement to get some real estate investment experience, and bring in a good cash flow every month. I used to work with a hard money lender who traded in some real estate notes, but we ended up repossessing a lot of them, which is a lengthy process.
Anyway best of luck,

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
We buy notes 2 ways. 1) we have relationships with banks that send us lists. We buy only non-performing notes as we can get them at the biggest discount. 2) we follow notice of defaults and buy loans that way also.

1. are you originating the note, purchasing an existing note, or doing both? and, do you have a preference of one over the other?
We stricly buy notes. We have orginated a few notes, but for the most part we only buy.
  1. for you personally, what type of return do you look for in order to make the risk worth it?
  1. when analyzing a note, are there any aspects that would immediately disqualify it from further consideration? (I guess this would go into a quick, back of the envelope type analysis...)
Yes the LTV if we are not getting in at 65% or less we are not interested.

Hope this helps!

Is this a good deal? @SteveO

I'm still trying to get my head around all this stuff.

Could you buy that note for $600k from the bank (I presume) ... kick out the tenants ... refurbish it a bit ... get some new tenants into the property (turn it into a performing note) ... and re-sell the note for some $2,5 mil ?

Or just kick out the tenants then sell the property to a developer for $1.5 mil ?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@100k
All of those look like options. If you wanted to turn it into a performing note, you would want to work with the current owner. The interest rate is low though. It may be a better play to foreclose.

Of course you need to understand the market and all the laws in this municipality. If there is truly that much equity, this looks like a good deal.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Uh wow @100k that looks like an amazing deal?

But goodluck kicking people out of their place in NYC. I'd say that's almost impossible...at least without using less tasteful methods...

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Uh wow @100k that looks like an amazing deal?

But goodluck kicking people out of their place in NYC. I'd say that's almost impossible...at least without using less tasteful methods...

Beginners luck I suppose.
Is NY that unfriendly to landlords/owners? That's pretty lame... but I wouldn't be surprised by it. Bet California is the same way :p

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
@100k
All of those look like options. If you wanted to turn it into a performing note, you would want to work with the current owner. The interest rate is low though. It may be a better play to foreclose.

Of course you need to understand the market and all the laws in this municipality. If there is truly that much equity, this looks like a good deal.

Thanks for your insights.
I'm not even in a position to move on it - I'm in the UK, but I've been reading up on notes and wanted to see what someone that really knows he stuff thought.

Thanks Steve.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.