The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inventing Help...

Ronr3914

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
Hey everybody,

I have this very good idea for an invention. I did some research and have found that my idea should satisfy all the Commandments of CENTS. I did however run into an issue. I predict the cost of getting a patent on this product would not be feasible for me at this time. Should I forego getting a patent and produce/sell my product anyway? Should I try to find investors and if so, how? Thanks in advance for any help that I may receive.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
How fast do you feel it will scale?
whats the current cost for the patent?

Ronr3914

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
I'm not sure that my product would explode on the market, however I do know that it would sell. I've estimated the complete process to be about $40,000. Is it possible to find investors for this sort of thing? Or should I just save enough money until I can facilitate?

Ronr3914

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
Sounds like a nice little loophole. I will have to research this, thanks.

D

DeletedUser2

provisional patents when ever we filed them were only about 1500 bucks. vs 20,K for a full blown patent.

better to get one filed. modify it later
if need be you can modify

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I was about to suggest this - google "provisional patent"

Personally I'd just launch and try to make money - worry about patents later (or for your next idea).

I'm not sure about US laws but in Australia once your idea is made public you can't patent it so don't release it before you have one if you intend on getting it unless you find out otherwise

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
I'm not sure about US laws but in Australia once your idea is made public you can't patent it so don't release it before you have one if you intend on getting it unless you find out otherwise
In the US "you can publish your invention or offer it for sale prior to filing a patent application, provided that you file your patent application within one year of the publication or offer for sale":
http://web.mit.edu/tlo/www/community/preserving_patent_rights.html

Ronr3914

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
That's some really good info... I'm pretty excited. Time to develop a working prototype. Thanks to all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.