The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Introduction

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Tim Peterson

PARKED
Feb 21, 2019
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to make 3-5 millions in 5-10years. I'm currently working as a contractor in Web development with focus on User Interface & Experience Design.

I've been involved in 2-3 small businesses that never really took off and seen alot of startups fail or just kept alive. 80% of people i know that has started business have lost time and money (avg. age 30-38) and they would have been better of grinding for big corporations.

I'm currently doing very well as a contractor where i can charge 900$/day around 180.000$ a year working for big corporations (banks, insurance, pharma), but i still would like to turn that into 1million a year. I just don't see how that would be possible since competition is fierce and most big corporations don't buy projects from smaller agencies. I feel like i have hit my peek earnings so far as an individual employee but still more profit than many small companies.

I'm located in Zürich, Switzerland so avarage pocket are deep and lots of opportunities here, especially in Finance (Banking, Insurance).

Looking for ideas for make it to the 1million a year mark.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard, Tim. Congrats on your success as a solo contractor. It's a rough life, and not easy to hit the 180k/year mark.

There was a post on Hacker news about this a while back. Basically, it boils down to this:

Start positioning yourself as a consultant instead of a developer. This requires two things:

1) You must actively work to understand what business problem you are tasked with solving, and take ownership of solving it for the customer. Go from churning specifications into a product to identifying and solving core business needs by pushing back on the customer and doing some intelligent inquiry.

2) Hire someone else to do at least a chunk of the labor. They should be a contractor, so that they get no equity upside and you can pay them a fixed hourly rate while you bill at whatever you can get away with.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Top Bottom