The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction - Young and Ready, but Where Do I Start???

DannyBow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 7, 2017
United States
Hi everyone! I first made this account almost a year ago and now after some circumstances and realization of my wants I am back and here to take action.

I am currently 21 years old. I went to college for one year studying something I later realized I wasn't passionate about. I then did a year in trade school and graduated with all my needed certifications in Welding. I since have been working at my friends company (7:30am-5pm - 5 days/week) doing just that and steel fabrication. This job brings me joy from time to time but I know that I don't want to be doing this forever.
I want to grow my own business and create a lifestyle that brings me CONSTANT happiness, not just the occasional highs. I realize that there is more to that. Obviously everybody wants happiness in their life, but most don't want to spend the blood, sweat and tears to get there and just settle. I, however, want that and I want the sleepless nights, harsh learning curves, challenges and 12+ hour workdays if it means I can create something successful of my own and generate several sources of income. I know it will be hard and I believe I can achieve it.

What really brings me here is help with a starting point. I am still currently working my 7:30-5pm job and doing some minor side hustle with the few hours I have left in my day. At work, however, I listen to several audio books and podcasts on different entrepreneurial topics and insights to make the most out of my time to better develop myself for when I decide it's time to leave and start my own thing. It seems like everyone on almost all of the threads I've read on here already have an idea of a business that they are progressively working on and improving.

For me, I don't even know where to start really. There is a lot of talk on sales and marketing. "Just start learning sales and you'll start making money." Also a lot of talk on ecommerce and other fields of business but I don't know what step to take. Do I learn all these things and an idea will eventually just come to me with the new knowledge I gain or do I need a EXACT plan/idea and then learn about it and then begin to execute it. I feel like I am making this more complicated then it really is, but what's the starting point with little knowledge about the business world and all these different fields. I'm ready to learn and start something, but I just don't know what that is and if its worth my time.
I feel I should add that I am very skillful in art and creating crafts and the side hustle I am doing involves this gift, but even with the beautiful pieces I create, I really feel it isn't enough to make a business out of and I am open to other options.

Thank you guys for taking the time to read this. Please reply with any bit of tips and information you may have. ANYTHING helps! Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I know some guys I played baseball with who are making some money doing real estate wholesaling. They’ll do some deals and then go on a private jet down to Vegas and party with tyga. They’re 22/23 I think. I’m 22 myself. Not a bad way to make some money.

I’ve got a lawn care business. Lot less glamorous but those guys will always have to work for their money doing that and will be pretty capped until they transition into a different area of real estate.

Everyone says “go into sales” or “learn to code” or “learn marketing” but the reason is if you can be confident you can convince people to choose you in some way, whip together a website that works well, and understand how to get peoples attention, you’ll know how to be dangerous in a large number of industries. No industry will tolerate you being uninformed and poorly skilled. Every industry will reward you for being savvy and utilizing modern strategies. In that way, there’s some universal skills that will set you up for success.

DannyBow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 7, 2017
United States
I know some guys I played baseball with who are making some money doing real estate wholesaling. They’ll do some deals and then go on a private jet down to Vegas and party with tyga. They’re 22/23 I think. I’m 22 myself. Not a bad way to make some money.

I’ve got a lawn care business. Lot less glamorous but those guys will always have to work for their money doing that and will be pretty capped until they transition into a different area of real estate.

Everyone says “go into sales” or “learn to code” or “learn marketing” but the reason is if you can be confident you can convince people to choose you in some way, whip together a website that works well, and understand how to get peoples attention, you’ll know how to be dangerous in a large number of industries. No industry will tolerate you being uninformed and poorly skilled. Every industry will reward you for being savvy and utilizing modern strategies. In that way, there’s some universal skills that will set you up for success.

Thanks for the feedback! I can definitely see why people say that those are good fields to go into for entrepreneurs, especially since its something you can learn and get into on your own. Have been considering looking more into drop shipping. I feel it could be something interesting to learn and gain knowledge from.
My dad has his own lawn care business too. Very good industry to go into. For him, finding loyal employees is his biggest struggle.

Thank you again for the feedback and good luck with the business!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome my friend, any side hustles you can start in the welding field?

Perhaps metal work for luxury homes? Or something you can prototype for mass production?

Welding is a great skill, even though you might perceive it to be "slowlane".

Welcome aboard!

DannyBow

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 7, 2017
United States
Welcome my friend, any side hustles you can start in the welding field?

Perhaps metal work for luxury homes? Or something you can prototype for mass production?

Welding is a great skill, even though you might perceive it to be "slowlane".

Welcome aboard!

The two side hustles I've been doing both actually include my artistry and one of them includes metal work with some welding. The only problem with both is that they take quite long to finish each project and thats where I can't see them bringing me high value. Still testing the waters with it though so we'll see!
Thank you for the feedback!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.