The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction - Hi Everybody!

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
Hello fellow Fastlaners!

I just finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane ! It's funny, I'm definitely one of those guys who overthinks everything, and I'm very "book-smart" but not very "street smart". I'm very bad at jumping into uncomfortable situations without trying to learn everything beforehand, and it's definitely a weakness I'm well aware of and need to work on. I have two Bachelor's (physics + comp sci), a Master's (physics), and recently completed a data science bootcamp. So I'm stellar in the job market.

I also have a fairly timid personality, which is definitely another weakness I need to overcome. I've had roommates talk me out of attempting ventures, and I know my parents would be very skeptical if I were to quit a high-paying job for a risky self-started internet business. That's actually one of my main reasons for joining this forum: I know if I surround myself with other high-achievers focused on self-starting businesses and growth, it will help me keep a positive outlook on participating in the Fastlane.

Anyway, where am I currently at? I actually just started a full-time job. Yes, I know, I'm in the Slowlane, but I think I can incorporate this job into a broader Fastlane strategy. It pays really well, and I'm young/single (26), so I plan on living way below my means and saving roughly half my income. I also plan on getting my own apartment so I have a place I can focus without the distraction of roommates (my roommates are awesome people, but I think having my own place would help me grow and become more independent). I also plan on spending basically all my free time on starting a business.

One fortunate thing about my background is that I'm really good at programming. I taught myself how to make websites on the side, and I know all about front-end (HTML/CSS/Javascript), back-end (Django/Flask), databases (SQL), hosting on AWS, etc. I've read you don't have to know programming to start a business, but thankfully I already know it really well, so I can use it greatly to my advantage. And if anyone on the Forum has programming questions I'd be happy to answer them.

I don't really have any business ideas at the moment, but I was planning on picking a few niches, cold emailing/calling people in those niches, and identifying common problems and pain points. Once I've done that, I plan on picking one and making a MVP which solves that problem. Does that seem like a good place to start? I'd love to hear your opinions, or how you got started!

Thanks for reading, and I'm very excited to join the Fast Lane Forum!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Excellent intro. Nothing wrong with a job when you see it apart of your UNSCRIPTED vision.

Welcome to the board.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...