The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Intro to a future penta-millionaire

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Just in case someone stumbles across this....

Here we are 5 years later. My plan was to quit within a year and a half. I haven't quit yet (but 100% will by the end of the year - though it will be to run a different business I recently bought). I wanted 10 stores & $6million within 10 years. I still just have the one store, and certainly nowhere near $6 million.

The single biggest thing that I did not understand 5 years ago was the COST OF GROWTH. In a capital-intensive, inventory-based business like retail - growth is very expensive. I was massively under-capitalized and that substantially impacted the rate of growth we were able to achieve as well as the amount of money we were able to take out of the business.

I also vastly underestimated the seasonality of the gift retail business. 50% of a retailers sales can happen in October-December. January was a somber reality. It took me a lot longer than expected to hit the revenue numbers I was aiming for - in large part due to above, cost of growth.

EDIT: One other point, I was not accounting for inventory write-offs and mark-downs, which eventually hurt my margins quite a bit so that even if revenue had been what I thought the profit wasn't.

And worth noting, my break-even point has consistently gone up each year. We moved to a location twice the size (and more than twice the rent), have added substantial employee hours (we used to have maybe 10 hours/week we had to pay - we now have 60+), etc. I had not figured in any of that originally.

Ultimately, these things are part of a much larger concept I didn't recognize - the general learning curve of entrepreneurship. It takes a few years to really figure out what you are doing.

EDIT 2: Just to clarify, it does take time but simply letting time pass will not help you figure it out. You have to push yourself outside your comfort zone and learn from others. My growth rate has far exceeded most local retail stores, especially the last 2 years when most stores would have plateaued because I AM growing.

EDIT 3: If you are paying attention you will notice that the vehicle I chose (brick & mortar retail) has had a big role in the costs and time it's taken to grow.

I no longer have a goal for a certain net worth or number of stores - I don't know that I want more stores. I'm more concerned with hitting a monthly cash-flow number that is sufficiently above my needs to invest in big new projects. I plan to be there by the end of next year.

Last edited:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Guess I failed.

Don't play the victim...

That has nothing to do with it. The guy is posting a useful response to your thread, and you are just being a dick to him. He wasn't telling you how to run your business.

A little humility can go a long way. Try to learn something from everyone, and also see peoples good intentions some times.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I plan to be there by the end of next year? OR I will be there by the end of next year?
You have to be certain about your decision, you need to have the hunger to make it happen. Otherwise your dream will never materialize.

This is a tough road with a lot of competition. If you make the wrong choices you wont make it. If you did not work hard enough you wont make it. If takes a lot of trial, error and field testing to get the recipe right.

How many books have you read this year? How many people did you meet this year to share your progress and get feedback?
I don't want to be rude, but are you in a position to be giving me advice?

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Wow. An update after 5 years? That's so cool. I love the honesty too.

Interesting that you no longer have a goal for net worth. I personally don't have a goal for net worth. Maybe that will change, but currently for me it's "progress over profits" ... (maybe until I'm ready to hit the accelerator?)

In the book "Ready, Fire, Aim" the author says the biggest problem in phase one of growing your business is that "you don't know what you're doing".

Haha. It feels that way to me... Like I'm untangling my legs before I break into a trot, lest I fall on my face.

What advice would you give to people about setting goals?
I loved Ready, Fire, Aim.

I personally have found Scott Adam's SYSTEMS approach much better than setting goals.

Here's a blog post he wrote about it, but I highly recommend his book (and his recent series about Trump is the most fascinating thing I've ever read)
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/102964992706/goals-vs-systems

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Despite the sideshow drama, just wanted to say thanks for updating the thread. Most people who make bold declarations disappear from the forum and go into hiding because they find out posting "I'm going to be rich in 5 years!" is not the same thing as doing it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Here we are 5 years later. My plan was to quit within a year and a half. I haven't quit yet (but 100% will by the end of the year - though it will be to run a different business I recently bought). I wanted 10 stores & $6million within 10 years. I still just have the one store, and certainly nowhere near $6 million.

The single biggest thing that I did not understand 5 years ago was the COST OF GROWTH. In a capital-intensive, inventory-based business like retail - growth is very expensive. I was massively under-capitalized and that substantially impacted the rate of growth we were able to achieve as well as the amount of money we were able to take out of the business.

I also vastly underestimated the seasonality of the gift retail business. 50% of a retailers sales can happen in October-December. January was a somber reality. It took me a lot longer than expected to hit the revenue numbers I was aiming for - in large part due to above, cost of growth.

Ultimately, these two things are part of a much larger concept I didn't recognize - the general learning curve of entrepreneurship. It takes a few years to really figure out what you are doing.

I no longer have a goal for a certain net worth or number of stores - I don't know that I want more stores. I'm more concerned with hitting a monthly cash-flow number that is sufficiently above my needs to invest in big new projects. I plan to be there by the end of next year.
Wow. An update after 5 years? That's so cool. I love the honesty too.

Interesting that you no longer have a goal for net worth. I personally don't have a goal for net worth. Maybe that will change, but currently for me it's "progress over profits" ... (maybe until I'm ready to hit the accelerator?)

In the book "Ready, Fire, Aim" the author says the biggest problem in phase one of growing your business is that "you don't know what you're doing".

Haha. It feels that way to me... Like I'm untangling my legs before I break into a trot, lest I fall on my face.

What advice would you give to people about setting goals?

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I mostly agree with cparsons on this one

See healthstatus's post:

Be careful putting too many "personal" expenses through the company, it destroys the personal liability protection that a corporation normally provides. We had dealings with a shady character, when we were forced to go to court to get several hundred thousand dollars of resolution, he bankrupted the company. We showed how he had used the company as his personal bank (legal term is piercing the corporate veil), and were able to go after his personal assets.

vs

I plan to be there by the end of next year? OR I will be there by the end of next year?
You have to be certain about your decision, you need to have the hunger to make it happen. Otherwise your dream will never materialize.

This is a tough road with a lot of competition. If you make the wrong choices you wont make it. If you did not work hard enough you wont make it. If takes a lot of trial, error and field testing to get the recipe right.

How many books have you read this year? How many people did you meet this year to share your progress and get feedback?

I suggest you to check this video by Tony Robbins - LINK
Here is a video beak down - LINK

One gives a personal example of what problem they encountered along with concrete advice.

The other gives vague, motivational peptalk (reminds me of a Tai Lopez youtube ad) without any personal anecdotes about how they overcame a similar business issue.

edit: and sure great advice can come from unlikely places, but I like playing in favor of the odds not against them

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Hey guys,

My name is Chris, I am 26, and I plan to have $6 million in the next 10 years.

Currently I am employed by a Fortune 1000 company outside of New Orleans, Louisiana. My wife recently quit her job and is now running our very first retail store after a $65k SBA loan plus essentially all of our savings which were used for leasehold improvements, equipment, and inventory.

We've been in business for 1 month and are already breaking even (excluding paying her salary).

My plan is to quit my job within a year and half to expand and open more stores. I believe that i can grow to 10 non-franchised stores within 10 years and have the equity in the business exceed $4 million + our savings from the income over that time period bringing us to $6 million after taxes.

Ive followed the slow-lane philosophy till this point in my life - doing all the things people expected me to and achieving their definition of "success". I graduated from college, got a good paying job with benefits, bought a house, and realized that this is not my definition of success.

For me, a nice house in the suburbs with a good job is a worst-case scenario. I want something beyond that, and it's more about being challenged and enjoying what I do than the money, but the money will make it that much sweeter.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
For me, the issue was less about his financial position to give you advice and more about the specific advice he gave. He basically gave you a lot of motivational platitudes, but given that you've been running this business for 5 years it sounds like motivation is not what you need.

After five years of running a business, telling someone that they need to work hard and they need to read books and they need to really want it is ridiculous. You don't get five years into a business if you're not motivated and if you're not working hard to make it work.

Reminds me of the time a couple years ago when I was at a party and a guy there finds out that I flip houses. He struck up a conversation and decided to give me advice. But, it wasn't worthwhile advice... It was stuff like, "You make your money when you buy," and "If your offer isn't embarrassing, you offered too much." The best part of the conversation is when he recommended my own book to me without knowing who I was. And I just listened and smiled.

I was annoyed with that guy, but NOT because I felt like he wasn't good enough to give me advice. I was annoyed because he didn't take the time to figure out his audience before giving advice and he didn't tailor the message towards his audience. Same with the guy's response to your post.

In the entrepreneurship world, being able to figure out your audience and tailor your message appropriately is a very important skill.

This. I'm 100% on @Cparsons ' side with the thread drama.

Also, I've never understood the argument of "I will" vs "I plan" when it comes to things that are out of the individual's control. "I plan" is a phrase that a rational person will use after taking into account the fact that he doesn't 100% control the outcome.

Also, congrats on the success @Cparsons. It's been great following your progress.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
One of the blatant signs of arrogance is the refusal to accept advice from anyone apart from a select group. Sometimes, great advice comes from unlikely places.
I realize I'm being a dick, but whatever...

Do you take dieting advice from fat people?

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Despite the sideshow drama, just wanted to say thanks for updating the thread. Most people who make bold declarations disappear from the forum and go into hiding because they find out posting "I'm going to be rich in 5 years!" is not the same thing as doing it.
Thank you MJ. I can honestly say two books had a huge impact on me before starting down this road (Rich Dad Poor Dad & The Millionaire Fastlane ).

Rich Dad Poor Dad woke me up from the illusion and status quo of a middle class life. TMF helped me understand what starting a business really meant and refined my thinking.

I've made several Edits to the Update now as I think of important things about the past 5 years.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
It's awesome that you update this 5 years later, much appreciated. Any advice in terms of human resources that you accumulated over the last 5 years? Retaining good employees and grooming managers?
People don't appreciate more money or presents for very long. They remember being appreciated. But you can't forget that they are EMPLOYEES and as much as we like to pretend otherwise, it is an inherently adversarial relationship.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I loved Ready, Fire, Aim.

I personally have found Scott Adam's SYSTEMS approach much better than setting goals.

Here's a blog post he wrote about it, but I highly recommend his book (and his recent series about Trump is the most fascinating thing I've ever read)
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/102964992706/goals-vs-systems
Aha! Yes, that's how I prefer to work. Get into a rhythm, do the right thing, and the results will follow.

James Clear wrote an excellent article about systems vs goals here:

I recently had a call with someone of the SMART goals mindset (who funnily enough had a net worth goal) and I tried really hard to explain my way of working. I was editing it to drop into the forum but I wasn't sure it would have been useful. I'll add it to my list.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016

Ultimately, these two things are part of a much larger concept I didn't recognize - the general learning curve of entrepreneurship. It takes a few years to really figure out what you are doing.

I suggest you to check this video by Tony Robbins - LINK
Here is a video beak down - LINK

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Don't play the victim...

That has nothing to do with it. The guy is posting a useful response to your thread, and you are just being a dick to him. He wasn't telling you how to run your business.

A little humility can go a long way. Try to learn something from everyone, and also see peoples good intentions some times.
I have the humility to not give people more successful than me advice on how to be successful.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My plan is to quit my job within a year and half to expand and open more stores. I believe that i can grow to 10 non-franchised stores within 10 years and have the equity in the business exceed $4 million + our savings from the income over that time period bringing us to $6 million after taxes.

Sounds like a plan; defined, reasonable time limits -- if your product/service is strong enough, should be doable. Welcome aboard!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I have the humility to not give people more successful than me advice on how to be successful.

This is a cool thread, and thanks for coming back to update it.

That said, unless you know something about the forum members that the rest of us don't know, how do you know that you are more successful than someone else? Additionally, what is your definition of success?

There are a lot of people on here that are very successful in different ways and add tons of value to the forum. It's cool to listen. And if you think the advice is crap, well, you are an adult and don't have to follow it ;)

BlakeRVA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Aug 24, 2015
I realize I'm being a dick, but whatever...

Do you take dieting advice from fat people?
It depends. He might be someone who has been studying health and fitness for the past few months and is implementing positive changes in his life. He might have some valuable information to share with me and it would be foolish to completely discredit him because he's not what I consider 'fit'. Again, great advice can come from unlikely places.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
This. I'm 100% on @Cparsons ' side with the thread drama.

Also, I've never understood the argument of "I will" vs "I plan" when it comes to things that are out of the individual's control. "I plan" is a phrase that a rational person will use after taking into account the fact that he doesn't 100% control the outcome.
I'm wouldn't take a side of a guy who didn't make it but gives advices like if he did.
Neither I would take a side of a guy who failed at his own goal and now butthurts when somebody tries to school him.

Regarding "I will" vs "I plan", in regular talks it doesn't matter. You can say "I plan to fly to Narnia on a dragon, rob a small castle with 129 gold bars in its treasure (I did the research and it's exactly 5 million dollars after I sell it in the US), I plan to accomplish it in age 1318."
But when you're setting a goal, "I plan" means an "I plan, plan, plan, plan... plan" infinity - you give yourself a wrong command.
"I will" is also good only like yesterday, today it's "I'm starting X right now" and 30 minutes later "I'm doing X for the next N hours".

I attended a good masterclass on planning this summer, I can share my notes if enough people will ask, because wrong planning is the #2 reason why people never succeed.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Dont pay a salary... pay a distribution!!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Dont pay a salary... pay a distribution!!

Careful, if you pay out $100K in distributions and $0K in salary you will be ripe for an audit. You must pay yourself a reasonable salary relative to distributions.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Breaking even in the first month of a completely new concept brick & mortar retail store....

But you are right, that was the easy part. The tough part will be growing large & fast enough successfully. I've just hired a consultant who helped one of his clients go from 1 store to 14 in 7 years, so I'm very excited.
UPDATE:

So, this is probably not uncommon, but I was underestimating some of our annual expenses. While we broke-even on a cash-flow basis in our very first full month (mid August to mid September), this figure was about $5k/month understated when including all expenditures (like annual Accounting costs, Travel for Trade Shows, additional employee hours, etc).

However, in October we hit our true break-even (without paying my wife a salary). In November, we surpassed it by $4k (leaving $2k profit to take home), and we've already surpassed it by $6k thus far in December (and will likely have $5k profit take home).

Needless to say, it's been a fantastic past few months and the absolute most fun I've ever had.

There's been a few ups & downs - mainly from running a business with my wife, trying to identify our roles, who makes what decisions, and separating our relationship from the business. It's a very tricky situation for sure. We are doing much better at it now, but I'm sure it will continue to evolve. My advice to anyone in a similar situation is to meet weekly for a meal to discuss business - do not discuss it in the evenings.

The next big question is how January is going to go - after the Christmas rush. I expect it to drop off quite a bit, but should be good enough to still break-even. I am looking forward to use this time to implement some new marketing ideas to grow the business even more. We've only tapped about 10% of our small niche target market within a 10 mile radius thus far, so I believe we could ultimately be doing 5X this amount of business (although not in our current location which is < 1,000 sq ft).

My goal is to have the store doing 15% more than what we're doing this month, every month, within 6 months. If we can hit that point, we'll be ready to expand to a new location. Assuming it takes the new location 6 months to get to that level (which shouldn't be hard because it will be in a much larger metropolitan area), I will be able to quit my job and live quite comfortably in a year's time.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Be careful putting too many "personal" expenses through the company, it destroys the personal liability protection that a corporation normally provides. We had dealings with a shady character, when we were forced to go to court to get several hundred thousand dollars of resolution, he bankrupted the company. We showed how he had used the company as his personal bank (legal term is piercing the corporate veil), and were able to go after his personal assets.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I figured, but just wanted to keep some people from getting confused so they don't start buying clothes and cable subscriptions and that sort of thing through their company (although I think some businesses could pull off a cable subscription as necessary business expense)

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Awesome thread. Thanks for giving an update and keep it going :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...