The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interview with James Jani (Emerging YouTube influencer)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I pulled this post out of James' main YouTube progress thread... (0 to 300K subscribers in a few months)

So many great topics discussed which I outlined below.

There are probably more but I was interrupted halfway in the video

Had the chance Monday to interview James (@Valier )

Was a really cool talk - he had a ton of great advice on his approach, mindset, and Fastlane principles.

Thanks again James for this!

@MJ DeMarco I think you will really enjoy this - the forums and the books got mentioned quite a few times.

So many Fastlane principles touched on...
  1. The process... (vs the event)
  2. The feedback loop...
  3. Going where the market is tickling you...
  4. Value over money...
  5. How skills, even in failure, accumulate to help you in the future...
  6. The fact that he knew that the stupid "start a digital marketing agency!!" was pretty much a cattle call of low value chased my low value money chasers...
  7. Being receptive to market echoes...
  8. Looking at the whole process as an endeavor for constant improvement...
  9. Better quality, lower quantity...
  10. Value skewing ... isolating voids in the market, what is working?
  11. The Lamborghini advertisement getting killed by authentic material*

* this alone was worth the 20 minute viewing time. People are getting sick of the BS -- "Look at my Lambo! Buy my course!!"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Massive thanks to @Valier on this one.

Wish I had my head in the right place at such a young age like he does.

Ya so much great content here and it was great to see his thought process and approach.

@MJ DeMarco when you jumping on for a call ha?

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
I pulled this post out of James' main YouTube progress thread... (0 to 300K subscribers in a few months)

So many great topics discussed which I outlined below.

There are probably more but I was interrupted halfway in the video

So many Fastlane principles touched on...
  1. The process... (vs the event)
  2. The feedback loop...
  3. Going where the market is tickling you...
  4. Value over money...
  5. How skills, even in failure, accumulate to help you in the future...
  6. The fact that he knew that the stupid "start a digital marketing agency!!" was pretty much a cattle call of low value chased my low value money chasers...
  7. Being receptive to market echoes...
  8. Looking at the whole process as an endeavor for constant improvement...
  9. Better quality, lower quantity...
  10. Value skewing ... isolating voids in the market, what is working?
  11. The Lamborghini advertisement getting killed by authentic material*

* this alone was worth the 20 minute viewing time. People are getting sick of the BS -- "Look at my Lambo! Buy my course!!"

Yup!

One of the reasons that I preach MJ's work a lot is genuinely because all the principles in TMF and Unscripted have helped me get the channel to where it is today. Even if YouTube isn't conventionally viewed as a "business", I took all of those ideas and applied it to that market and it's worked.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco when you jumping on for a call ha?

I'm in an interview hiatus, I resume when I exit my writing/pre-production phase. Be happy to do one then.

Scarp577

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Jun 24, 2020
Greenville, SC
I actually discovered the entire Fastlane/Unscripted Ethos in one of James’ videos! His video was inspiring, and drove me do dive into these books. I’m About 60% done with Unscripted , and finished Fastlane A couple weeks ago. Also, I LOVED James’ style of video editing and storytelling. Really compelling.

Oh Shift!

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Aug 26, 2020
Canada
Yup!

One of the reasons that I preach MJ's work a lot is genuinely because all the principles in TMF and Unscripted have helped me get the channel to where it is today. Even if YouTube isn't conventionally viewed as a "business", I took all of those ideas and applied it to that market and it's worked.
Oh wow! what a surprise you're actually here.. And, it's your youtube video that led me to MJ's books. I've got curious. Thanks man! I've been a victim of some of the "fake guru's" - but I don't blame them..:smile2:

tomshooter

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2020
Rhiwlas, Bangor
I loved James Jani's video "The Toxic World of Self Help" too. His content and delivery is outstanding, and for such a young bloke it's refreshing and very inspiring!

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
The fact that he knew that the stupid "start a digital marketing agency!!" was pretty much a cattle call of low value chased my low value money chasers...
Great interview, and thanks for sharing MJ. I will just comment about the quoted bit.

I don't believe that "start a digital marketing agency" is a cattle call of low value. I've been making great money out of this, and have the prospects now to scale to 1M+ as well.

But like any field of activity, you can't get to the top in 2 months. You can't be a nobody in advertising, and suddenly rise to having $30K months in 2 months of work. It takes a great deal of KNOWLEDGE to succeed in this industry, knowledge that takes YEARS to accumulate.

Also, you won't be making money by helping mom n pop businesses and the guys hanging out on FB. You need to work for the big boys to scale, and more specifically you need to work in pioneering campaigns and launching new products, which is too much for a beginner to handle.

There are big boys in eCom (although they are unreliable, because they always decide to sell the business when it gets to $1-10M), consulting, weight loss, and so on. The traditional direct response markets.

Having said that, from what I see, what @Valier did initially with his "marketing agency" was literarily try to cold-call restaurants to 'promote' them via social media. Probably finding out what that "promotion" would look like after signing the contracts. Well, good luck with that. Unlikely to get them any serious business, so they don't see the value, and they won't pay.

But the root of the failure wasn't in the idea... it was in the fact that @Valier probably, I'd wager, never read ANY of these books:
• The Boron Letters by Gary Halbert
• Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins
• Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples
• The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier (duh!)
• Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz
• The Lazy Man's Way to Riches by Joe Karbo
• No B.S. Direct Response Marketing by Dan Kennedy
• No B.S. Social Media Marketing by Dan Kennedy
• SPIN Selling by Neil Reckham
and the list can go ON AND ON AND ON.

He probably had no idea at all what it even TAKES to sell something. What moves products? What moves services? What should he focus on? And so on...

Without a GLOBAL understanding of business, markets, and what moves products, your chances of success are less than 1%. Most people are TOO LAZY to stick to it to see success. They want instant results. They don't want to spend years learning an industry. They think they can just put a FB banner up and suddenly they're a marketing consultant... How would it be if it was so easy to become a Doctor as well? Just put up a sign on your door saying "Doctor's office"...

So if it takes YEARS of study to become a doctor, why do you expect any other field to be any easier?

Doctors have additional bureaucracy to survive to reach to the top. That's not because it takes that many years to become the best at what they do, but rather because there are OLD FARTS holding onto positions and being unwilling to relent and let their younger colleagues who are better than them replace them. So they put up this bureaucracy to hold onto their seats of power.

This doesn't exist in marketing. But what exists is the supremacy of those who know, and who are able to move products.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
@Valier is it possible to share your youtube revenue for the most recent months? :p

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
@Valier is it possible to share your youtube revenue for the most recent months? :p

Ahahaha, it's been about the same at the 11k mark although I'm expecting a drop in October because I've fallen behind schedule for my next upload

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.