The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Internet? What's the big DEAL???

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Will one of you "techie's" PLEASE explain to me what the hell the deal is with this domain thing. Buying, developing, etc. I've seen more people here talking about this and I have absolutely NO idea what this is all about and I feel like the odd man out.

What are you doing? and what's the purpose of it? Somebody learn me something......please before I go nuts. I'm mildly tech schooled but I don't get this. As a disclosure, I don't have an Ipod, Iphone or any other cool I-anything...............I do have a Wii though (well really my 9 year old's) and I have previously stayed in a Holiday Inn Express :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
Re: 1 YEAR: Where are YOU?

Okay, in an effort not to hi-jack this thread, will one of you "techie's" PLEASE start a thread and explain to me what the hell the deal is with this domain thing. Buying, developing, etc. I've seen more people here talking about this and I have absolutely NO idea what this is all about and I feel like the odd man out.

What are you doing? and what's the purpose of it? Somebody learn me something......please before I go nuts. I'm mildly tech schooled but I don't get this. As a disclosure, I don't have an Ipod, Iphone or any other cool I-anything...............I do have a Wii though (well really my 9 year old's) and I have previously stayed in a Holiday Inn Express :D

Simply stated, fastlanetomillions.com is a domain, or a domain name. MJ started a forum on that domain. That's what he chose to develop. He is still developing the site by branching into the new areas you've seen. There are many ways to develop a domain. You can see that in the variety of websites on the net. The concept is really that simple. It's the mechanics of it that can be challenging.

Get an idea for what you want to do on the web, give it a name, buy the domain name if it's available, get creative it it's not, set up hosting, (the "land" the site is built on) and start building! Intellectual real estate.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Good start, Allthingznew.

Anyone want to chime in about the merits of this kind of biz, and why someone like Easy would want to try it?

-Russ H.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
For me it's uncharted waters. The next challenge. I have some REI, not enough:) but I want to diversify.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
What I LOVE about the internet is that there is everything to gain and very little to lose. With a couple of hundred dollars (or less) you can start a complete business, and you have instant access to millions of people (potential customers). With some free to low-cost marketing techniques, you can find your target market and they can find you.

The beauty of the internet is efficiency, and the beauty of internet marketing is all of the in-depth tracking and optimizing- and of course conversions! ...It's really fascinating stuff once you start learning about it.

Here's some neat sites to get you going:

www.godaddy.com to hunt for domain names

www.wordtracker.com to hunt for keywords

www.spyfu.com to see what your competitors are up to, as well as if there is a demand for certain keywords within a niche

www.xsitepro.com great templated software for you to design your own site within 1 hour or less!

www.warriorforum.com a great online forum dedicated to online business

:)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
WOW. Thanks for posting those Yves. Yeah I meant to say something about cost and reward. Low cost and no problems with bank financing.:cheers:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
As others here have pointed out:

-Cheap investment.
-You can reach the entire world (or at least all of those people who use the internet to surf, purchase things etc).
-You can be truly mobile, meaning you don't need to be in one city just because you have a store there. You just need a computer and an internet connection, really.
-The marketing online is really cheap. I mean, you can start with as little as $10 (Adwords). And for $10 you can reach the entire Google friendly world (big part of the internet community more or less). We are speaking about millions of people (potential customers) and you have more say when it comes to how much you are willing to pay for each visitor/customer. Try finding such an opportunity in the local newspaper at that customer reach. It will be very hard.

In short, when you get the hang on how to buy and develop a commercial website + how to do your marketing online you are set to go. It takes some time to learn the ropes as in anything else. Invest a couple of months, speak the savvy internet people on this forum and you will soon see the beauty of the internet and what it can help you achieve in business. Even if you may be successfull offline (outside of the internet), the internet can really help you make that business even more streamlined, maybe even easier to manage.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its seems that I've seen on here though that people are buying domain names for the sake of buying a name............why? So far it just simply sounds like, if you want to start a business for cheap on the internet, you can. I'm more interested in trying to understand why one would spend time and money buying a bunch of names and why? And what is there to develop if there is no intention to run a business?

I'm trying to relate this to RE, do you buy, build and sell a site? Or speculate on a name that someone else needs to have and has to buy from you? I'm just not clear, I don't even read the posts anymore if they are related to this development topic I'm just so out in left field.

thanks for the help all

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its seems that I've seen on here though that people are buying domain names for the sake of buying a name............why? So far it just simply sounds like, if you want to start a business for cheap on the internet, you can. I'm more interested in trying to understand why one would spend time and money buying a bunch of names and why? And what is there to develop if there is no intention to run a business?

I'm trying to relate this to RE, do you buy, build and sell a site? Or speculate on a name that someone else needs to have and has to buy from you? I'm just not clear, I don't even read the posts anymore if they are related to this development topic I'm just so out in left field.

thanks for the help all

This is an easy question, it is vitural real estate. Take that home you own, its the only peice or plot of dirt like it. Once you buy it, noone else can (besides the govt). There may be other ones like it but that one is yours and holds value.

Now look at the most branded extension .com . MJ is the only one that can have thefastlanetomillions.com.... noone else can have that and it is valuble. Now before he developed it it was not worth anything being it wasnt a single keyword, however he is developing it into a brand and creating value in which he can create revenue or sell at a profit. Much like buying a plot of land and constructiong a house on.

despite the .net.us.gov etc etc .com's will always be the "good dirt" as it is the most branded and recognized extension.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
hmm.......very interesting! I'm beginning to get the picture. But I thought I heard once that there was a limit to the amount of .com's there could be? And what would keep someone from creating "thefastlanetomillions.net" and making a killing with it? same name, different "dot something".
And is there a portal for selling domain names after you've bought them? And who decides what is available and what can be bought or sold?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
hmm.......very interesting! I'm beginning to get the picture. But I thought I heard once that there was a limit to the amount of .com's there could be? And what would keep someone from creating "thefastlanetomillions.net" and making a killing with it? same name, different "dot something".
And is there a portal for selling domain names after you've bought them? And who decides what is available and what can be bought or sold?

Yes its limited to what you can type, as all the correct keywords like google.com are taken there are not 2 google.com's. so one would have to go with googlesearch.com etc etc. its a limited area.

As far as getting the .net. i imagine that MJ bought it. when you buy a name and want to brand it you buy everything associated with it so you do not run into that problem. However if you do print marketing and company branding well enough people will always assume you are at a .com unless your name is structure otherwise (authorize.net( who also has authorize.com)).

There are places to buy and sell

www.sedo.com

www.tdnam.com

www.sitepoint.com

What happens is when you register the name you register it for a certain amount of time, you never actually "buy" it persay. you renew everyyear or 2 years or whatever the period you are getting it for. if you do not renew the registrar you bought it from will cancel it and you have 45 days to get it back, then it will go back up as availible for registration.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Fascinating! A web based business is fascinating. There is SO much money to made out there and SO much to learn as you develop an internet business. Once you start the ride, you will be amazed at what sites are capable of and how it really is a World Wide Web. I don't look at websites the same anymore. Every "click" is created intentionally and almost every "click" made generates income for someone.

The most appealing for me being that I can develop my site to generate truly PASSIVE income, and as time progresses the passive income multiplies. I like THAT!

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Well, if MJ hasn't registered thefastlanetomillions.net someone could buy that domain. Since that domain is .net, more people are inclined to type in a .com extension, so whoever developed the .net would "lose" people to the .com extension. Make sense?

Buying up domains is a cheap way to buy virtual real estate. I own about 10 domains. Three or so I'd like to develop, (more for fun than anything else) but since I don't have the time to do so now, I went ahead and bought them so they'd still be there when I do decide to develop them.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Just like RE, there are lots of different business models. For example:

- Buy and Sell. If you find a great domain name that just freed up (if it was really great, it was probably taken at one time), you snatch it up, and you turn around and sell it to someone who wants it.

- Buy and Develop. Perhaps you buy a great name and have a site idea that will leverage that domain name. You build your site, people come, and you convert those eyeballs to $$$ in some fashion (ads, selling something, subscription, etc).

- Buy and Hold. Do you think I'm going to be running for President in 2016? If so, perhaps you should register JScott2016.com or JScottForPresident.com. If I do decide to run, I might be willing to pay a lot for those domains six or seven years from now.

Great analogy Jason. ++++speed:cheers:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As far as getting the .net. i imagine that MJ bought it.

I did not buy it. There is no point. If someone brands it, my .com extension will receive the benefit of their efforts.

In reference to the original question, the big deal is that the internet represents the greatest Fastlane opportunity in existence.

If you can build websites (or find someone to do it for you) you can build assets that cash flow and can be sold for 10,000X return on investment.

I know the process of building a house or apartment complex would take months of work and legions of people/craftsmen ... not to mention the cost. Conversely, I can build websites in just a few weeks, sometimes days, and not spend a lot.

The internet is to the 2000's as the 1850's gold rush.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
In defense of myself :) I did not name the title of this post. I actually asked it in another post and it seems someone started this post for me. I simply didn't understand the whole "investing" in domain names etc......
I believe I understand now. And you're right MJ, the internet is the gold rush for this millennium.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
No need to apologize for not naming the thread, Easy.

You posted an off-topic question in a different thread, and I moved it, b/c you wanted an answer to your question, and no one was going to find it under "What did you do this past year?"

Hope you at least got some answers to your original questions! :)

-Russ H.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
If you can build websites (or find someone to do it for you) you can build assets that cash flow and can be sold for 10,000X return on investment.

I know the process of building a house or apartment complex would take months of work and legions of people/craftsmen ... not to mention the cost. Conversely, I can build websites in just a few weeks, sometimes days, and not spend a lot.

The internet is to the 2000's as the 1850's gold rush.

Many of you know my story and I'm currently involved developing real estate.

I've realized lately the internet may provide me with an easier way to start my own business, but I must admit, I was not excited about having to start from scratch learning a whole new industry. Plus, I have little computer knowledge, if any at all...

But I must say, It is AMAZING what I've learned in 2 days of reading about internet businesses on this site. AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING!!

And best of all, it appears the process of developing a website calls into play many, if not all, of the same skills I use on a daily basis learning to develop real estate. This is great!!

I just want to send out a thank you to everyone, especially you MJ, for making this site that powerful.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

:fastlane::fastlane::fastlane::fastlane::fastlane:

It absolutely blows my mind :thankyousign:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
There is a post floating around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to dig it up right now. ...If you want to learn more about all the neat stuff you can do on the web, (and how you can make money doing it) check out Thirty Day Challenge It's a free challenge and it'll get you up to speed fast. (It's also designed for noobs.)

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
No need to apologize for not naming the thread, Easy.

You posted an off-topic question in a different thread, and I moved it, b/c you wanted an answer to your question, and no one was going to find it under "What did you do this past year?"

Hope you at least got some answers to your original questions! :)

-Russ H.

Yeah, I think I suggested someone explain this domain thing by starting another thread for those of us that hadn't a clue............

A'viola, I started the thread and didn't even know it :) I think I now have a simple understanding of what people are doing. Not sure its for me (buying names for speculation), but at least I can follow along now :)

Thanks for moving the thread here :thumbsup:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

:tiphat:

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Will one of you "techie's" PLEASE explain to me what the hell the deal is with this domain thing. Buying, developing, etc. I've seen more people here talking about this and I have absolutely NO idea what this is all about and I feel like the odd man out.

What's the big deal? Ultimate Leverage.

There's no limit to how many people you can reach, no matter the circumstance nor the demographic.

I've never seen so many opportunities to build systems, CHEEEEEEAP!!!!, with hardly any overheard, that leverage your time and pull down mad cash month after month.

You can literally start a business doing anything you desire practically.

It's not hard, and you don't have to be a "techie." You just have to have a desire to learn, the willingness to put in some sweat equity, a plan, and most of all, you have to want it. The rest will fall in place.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.