The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interior home painting business

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
Note: This does not follow CENTS and you will see why

I have been painting my home, family and friend's homes for a few years now for a little side cash but I was wondering if I should turn this into a side business. I have all the paint equipment for small jobs but my idea is if I should start a business not from the sake of getting rich off of it but more of getting familiar with running a business. This would not be my full-time job as I already have one but more of side hustle on weekends.

What are your thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
There are many painting businesses that are well in the realm of CENTS and I know of 1 that is a millionare and he does exterior/interior paints.

Its the matter of scale and delegating that makes it a bit challenging but don't count yourself out. Many people tend to overestimate what can be done in 1 year but underestimate what will be in 5-10 years.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
Ask yourself this;

Are you truly good at it? No family or friends feedback.

If so, can you TEACH others the way you want it done? This is important for some level of growth.

I say this as someone who’s father painted 30 years, so I was around it “a lot!” (And painting a condo right now on the side, hahaha!!!).

Anyway, if look at @IceCreamKid threads and @Johnny boy threads for just a few organizational and software tips to apply to your business along with following the sweaty start up dot com (Nick’s) advise...

YOU should be well on your way to compiling cash for your Fastlane investments future.

Blue collar skills are going away, take advantage now.

Best to you if you validate it and decide to go for it.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

I have been painting my home, family and friend's homes for a few years now for a little side cash but I was wondering if I should turn this into a side business. I have all the paint equipment for small jobs but my idea is if I should start a business not from the sake of getting rich off of it but more of getting familiar with running a business. This would not be my full-time job as I already have one but more of side hustle on weekends.

What are your thoughts?

Scheduling one time jobs sucks. Maintenance is the best thing to do. Unfortunately that can’t really be done with painting businesses.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
Ask yourself this;

Are you truly good at it? No family or friends feedback.

If so, can you TEACH others the way you want it done? This is important for some level of growth.

I say this as someone who’s father painted 30 years, so I was around it “a lot!” (And painting a condo right now on the side, hahaha!!!).

Anyway, if look at @IceCreamKid threads and @Johnny boy threads for just a few organizational and software tips to apply to your business along with following the sweaty start up dot com (Nick’s) advise...

YOU should be well on your way to compiling cash for your Fastlane investments future.

Blue collar skills are going away, take advantage now.

Best to you if you validate it and decide to go for it.

Am I good? Yes, I believe so but I cannot validate from an outside source since I only painted for friends and family.
Can I teach someone? Yes, I believe so too.

Part of this would be to learn the business side of things that I lack in running a business.

The reason I started painting is that I got tired of local painters when I first bought my house. All of them show up late, leave early, make a mess, and their quality is worse than mine. This is also a reason why my friends and family asked me to paint for them because they have seen my work compared to the work the received.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada

What are your thoughts?

I work for my family's painting business. While the money is okay, it is quite labor intensive. Definitely not fastlane unless you can find really good employees that take pride in doing a good job. (People in it just to make money often deliver poor results. They start cutting corners, being sloppy, sometimes lack decent social skills when talking with clients etc.)

I feel like only working weekends wouldn't allow you to take on larger projects. Especially as often times people like the job to be done as soon as possible.

The best value skew is in your results and pricing for this. But, don't think it's an easy side hustle. We sometimes bid on jobs and get underbid by people that have some other full time obligation. And 99% of the time the clients are upset because the job doesn't get finished as desired.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
Am I good? Yes, I believe so but I cannot validate from an outside source since I only painted for friends and family.
Can I teach someone? Yes, I believe so too.

Part of this would be to learn the business side of things that I lack in running a business.

The reason I started painting is that I got tired of local painters when I first bought my house. All of them show up late, leave early, make a mess, and their quality is worse than mine. This is also a reason why my friends and family asked me to paint for them because they have seen my work compared to the work the received.

Excellent.

So if you fix all the reasons people like poor performing painters, you have something!

And Johnny Boy makes a point, but right now that’s a skill you think you happen to have instead of learning something new.

Also, it doesn’t have to fit CENTS or be Fastlane, that’s a point @MJ DeMarco tries to get across all the time. You can build up cash reserves, learn business and save to invest in other things that eventually Fastlane for you.

And don’t be the cheapest price, period. Be worth what you are worth or move on to other customers.

See my profile about CENTS, that may help.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
I work for my family's painting business. While the money is okay, it is quite labor intensive. Definitely not fastlane unless you can find really good employees that take pride in doing a good job. (People in it just to make money often deliver poor results. They start cutting corners, being sloppy, sometimes lack decent social skills when talking with clients etc.)

I feel like only working weekends wouldn't allow you to take on larger projects. Especially as often times people like the job to be done as soon as possible.

The best value skew is in your results and pricing for this. But, don't think it's an easy side hustle. We sometimes bid on jobs and get underbid by people that have some other full time obligation. And 99% of the time the clients are upset because the job doesn't get finished as desired.
Yes, it is quite labor-intensive and time-consuming especially since I'd be doing it myself on weekends. It would not be my side hustle/extra income.

I am looking at this more of a learning experience of having a business, think of training on the job, just to get some momentum going. If this was about money then I will make more money with just cash and food from friends and family rather than getting a business license, getting insured, bonded, and etc.

smitsith

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 15, 2021
Having one side of income is the worst. So, the fact you're having thoughts of turning your side hustle into a business it's a great idea. Not most people have the courage to do that. I'm sure you'll find some more in-depth online courses about painting walls. It's okay at first not to be perfect at everything, but as no one has complained so far about your skills, it's okay to go for it. You'll get more knowledge in time about this type of business. But, at first, I'd suggest putting together a plan and check if you feel truly ready for this business to start. It would help if you spoke with painters and decorators dublin to see what their suggestions are. Good luck!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.