• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real Estate Insurance Claims

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by Edge, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Edge

Edge Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $112
    I had a vacant rental house have the copper plumbing stolen out of it this weekend. I don't have the estimates back from my handyman yet, but I will have to ultimately make the decision to file a claim or write the check myself.

My main concern it what it will do to my rates or even ability to keep insurance. This property is actually in my name (not the LLC because I was considering a refi) so could a claim impact my primary residency insurance premium also? I do have the same insurance company for my rentals and primary home.

I may be making a bigger issue out of this than it actually is, but I've just always heard it isn't a good idea to file a homeowners claim. Anyone willing to share their experience with filing a theft/vandalism claim on a rental property?

2. hakrjak

hakrjak Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $167
    Hey man -- this is the reason you have insurance, and the reason you've shelled out thousands in premiums in the past. You should never be afraid to place a legit claim.

My feelings on insurance: If I'm not taking back atleast half of what I'm putting in via premiums, then I'm not getting good value from it.

Also, I believe that you should always carry the max deductable. In my state, it's $1500 or 1.5% the properties value, whichever is less. In my past experience with collecting insurance claims -- They will always pay you atleast $1500 more than what it costs you to make a repair. They use high end contractors to get their claim estimates, etc -- and if you are using your trusted handyman, or someone you have given past business to -- you can always come in $1500 under budget. ;)

I also love the common cause clause... In my policies, if damage is caused by a common cause (i.e. a single hail storm) -- I only pay the deductable 1 time... So last year I replaced 4 roofs due to hail damage from a single storm, and I only paid the $1500 one time.... Result was I ended up with thousands extra in my pocket once all the roofs were replaced.

Don't be a sucker ;) That's how these guys make their money.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Edge likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.