The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

TheRealKD

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,100%
Jan 22, 2018
Thought I'd share this important Facebook post by one of my main mentors Alex Becker. READ ALL:

"The current age of social media has caused young entrepreneurs (even old ones) to confuse popularity with business success.

A person whose "kiling it" gets thousands of likes, appears to be living a well rounded fun care free life style and is all about ME...MYSELF...AND I...

Look at what I'm doing. Look at how well I'm doing. Look what MY appearance says about me.

Watch the Fyre festival documentary. We are in the age of most appalling level of bullshit entrepreneurs/people in history. Influencers, gurus, "entrepreneurs" with life styles are like race cars where 99% of the investment is on the exterior of the car and a honda civic engine.

It's a recipe for horrible shit for two reasons :

-One popularity corresponds with stupidity.

Popularity is being liked by the masses. Lots of people like/want to be "cool" people.

The entrepreneur taking people on private jets, throwing parties, and investing in his life style is popular and cool. But WHO are they investing so much time in being popular and cool too?

Seriously think about it. Who are the people that are attracted to this.

The masses. Stupid people. Find me a professional athlete who likes to party, is instagram cool and is super well like/popular and you will find a flak of stupid yes people who love them (Johnny Manziel).

I'll also find you an athlete or entrepreneur whose not ever going to be great. Do you think Michael Jordan was cool to be around when he was in his prime? Quite the contrary. If you had any ounce of shit or lack of focus you were loathed.

Here's where the problem is. These "life style ME entrepreneurs" are focused on how they appear to stupid people. Stupid is attracted to surface level stupid things.

There for the ME entrepreneur becomes obsessed with and sustaining STUPIDITY.

They are out drinking on Friday night. They are taking selfies with cars. They are trying build a "cool" social circle.

In order to be "popular" by the standard definitions these days you must do things mass amounts of people find cool.

Mass amounts of people are not killing life. They are short term. They mostly have no purpose. They are shallow. They are un-self aware. They are there to bask in the outcome and NOT the actions that get there.

In order to be cool to them you must be these things. The result is you will be dragged down to their stupidity and constantly be partaking in stupid actions that don't help your customer or make your business or team or focus great.

This is the death of any young entrepreneur in the long run. They will constantly base their decisions on appearance the opinions of stupid people all to make themselves feel like they are worth something.

When they are worth nothing really, because their worth is derived by the thoughts of sheep. They are just another sheep that's running around in a lion costume yelling ROAR! ROAR! And because the sheep are stupid, they will go "look a lion oh my!"....

That doesn't make you a lion and a lion isn't desperate for the approval of sheep.

This person will always be a sheep and never create something truly great that only a lion can achieve.

Ironically, as hard as they try to appear that they have the wealth and life style a lion has, they will never truly be a lion NOR will they ever achieve the huge cash results that they so desperately want people to believe they can achieve.

Great CEOs and entrepreneurs are by definition, not popular ESPECIALLY when they are building their machine.

They do too much weird shit, make massive sacrifices, and live in life in such a way that is REPULSIVE to a standard "cool" person that they are totally incompatible.

No one "cool" wants to be around the guy who hasn't gone out in 2 years, goes to bed at 8pm, doesn't watch TV and wears the same clothes every day and doesn't have a Instagram account or invest a dime in appearance.

No one is going to be attracted to the person who invests all his money into his staffs education programs and hiring excellent engineers. F*ck that guy, lets go find/follow the guy that is investing in bottle service and flying models around in private jets. THAT guy is awesome.

Bill Gates would not of been very fun to follow or watch when he was building Microsoft.

Bill Gates as a result can literally buy platform these fools "are cool on" and delete it as a funny way to spend a Saturday.

But this then leads to the biggest F*ck up this causes

-ME entrepreneurs have shit teams and shit businesses.

ME, MYSELF, AND I look at me entrepreneurs have no focus outside appearance and themselves. No one great wants to work for these people. No one smart want's be a participant in a some aggrandizing bullshit machine.

Great smart people want to be on a team that is focused on doing great awesome things. They want to be part of a machine that builds the future.

Great leaders ONLY focus is on the the machine they create and the result it gets.

The people , the goal and the systems that enable those people to succeed at crushing that goal are the only thing going through the great leader or lions head.

Every great CEO of companies that gets the best returns is boring by most peoples standards.

They are selfless, they sacrifice, they eat last, they build an environment for other people.

This is repulsive to cool people and bullshitters.

Jeff Bezos didn't eat for decades building Amazon. Most 9 figure tech CEO's don't make money for years and during those years live monk like lives.

Great CEOs and entrepreneur build machines for other people. Their staff and their customers.

They are focused on building the greenhouse that their plant will grow in.

Bullshit entrepreneurs are focused on painting the exterior of the greenhouse to look glorious while everything inside rots.

Thats the thing popular and cool people will never understand about success or winning. This is why they never win and desperately follow people that embody what they think "winning is"

Because they do not understand what a winner truly is or what makes them up they will define winning by bullshit.

Those people that embody their definition of winning thus will be the lords of bullshit. Rotten in every way that matters, but killing it in every way thats doesn't.

And this is the core problem today. We have young entrepreneurs who don't know any better and are actively trying to become lords of bullshit to appeals to the masses of bullshit.

Its not because they are bad people. It's because THIS is the model that they see the most, there for it MUST be the model of success...right?

Go to any marketing event or out for a night and you will see these lords of bullshit. Partying. Appearing cool. Talking. Talking. Talking....and Talking.

Ask them any hard hitting question. Ask them the hard questions about their people, their business, whats important to them. You'll find nothing but rot and talk.

Be popular to your staff and the people that live in the deeply unpopular realm of truth & sacrifice.

Find the people that think its neat and impressive that you worked 72 hours straight and are finding ways to increase your IQ via weird shit. Find the people that are amazed with how good you are an hiring cool people and how optimized you've made your life. Find the people that think "weird" is cool.

Focus on getting the nod from the 9 or 10 figure true lions in your industry instead of the 20k likes from the lost masses.

Popular people attract the masses. The masses are attracted to bullshit. Thus in order to be popular you must embody bullshit.

Don't."

50419999_2166912360291518_4707548271134900224_n.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Logan Powell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 9, 2018
Banff, Alberta, Canada
So, I have had a thought that since everyone is rushing into this new Instagram "Entrepreneurship", is there a way to serve this market? It seems like every half decent attractive woman is becoming an affiliate marketer on the platform.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Glad to see Becker is done with all of the clickbait BS. He used to have good content and mindset stuff.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Harsh, but a lot of truth there. Thanks for sharing.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Thought I'd share this important Facebook post by one of my main mentors Alex Becker. READ ALL:

"The current age of social media has caused young entrepreneurs (even old ones) to confuse popularity with business success.

A person whose "kiling it" gets thousands of likes, appears to be living a well rounded fun care free life style and is all about ME...MYSELF...AND I...

Look at what I'm doing. Look at how well I'm doing. Look what MY appearance says about me.

Watch the Fyre festival documentary. We are in the age of most appalling level of bullshit entrepreneurs/people in history. Influencers, gurus, "entrepreneurs" with life styles are like race cars where 99% of the investment is on the exterior of the car and a honda civic engine.

It's a recipe for horrible sh*t for two reasons :

-One popularity corresponds with stupidity.

Popularity is being liked by the masses. Lots of people like/want to be "cool" people.

The entrepreneur taking people on private jets, throwing parties, and investing in his life style is popular and cool. But WHO are they investing so much time in being popular and cool too?

Seriously think about it. Who are the people that are attracted to this.

The masses. Stupid people. Find me a professional athlete who likes to party, is instagram cool and is super well like/popular and you will find a flak of stupid yes people who love them (Johnny Manziel).

I'll also find you an athlete or entrepreneur whose not ever going to be great. Do you think Michael Jordan was cool to be around when he was in his prime? Quite the contrary. If you had any ounce of sh*t or lack of focus you were loathed.

Here's where the problem is. These "life style ME entrepreneurs" are focused on how they appear to stupid people. Stupid is attracted to surface level stupid things.

There for the ME entrepreneur becomes obsessed with and sustaining STUPIDITY.

They are out drinking on Friday night. They are taking selfies with cars. They are trying build a "cool" social circle.

In order to be "popular" by the standard definitions these days you must do things mass amounts of people find cool.

Mass amounts of people are not killing life. They are short term. They mostly have no purpose. They are shallow. They are un-self aware. They are there to bask in the outcome and NOT the actions that get there.

In order to be cool to them you must be these things. The result is you will be dragged down to their stupidity and constantly be partaking in stupid actions that don't help your customer or make your business or team or focus great.

This is the death of any young entrepreneur in the long run. They will constantly base their decisions on appearance the opinions of stupid people all to make themselves feel like they are worth something.

When they are worth nothing really, because their worth is derived by the thoughts of sheep. They are just another sheep that's running around in a lion costume yelling ROAR! ROAR! And because the sheep are stupid, they will go "look a lion oh my!"....

That doesn't make you a lion and a lion isn't desperate for the approval of sheep.

This person will always be a sheep and never create something truly great that only a lion can achieve.

Ironically, as hard as they try to appear that they have the wealth and life style a lion has, they will never truly be a lion NOR will they ever achieve the huge cash results that they so desperately want people to believe they can achieve.

Great CEOs and entrepreneurs are by definition, not popular ESPECIALLY when they are building their machine.

They do too much weird sh*t, make massive sacrifices, and live in life in such a way that is REPULSIVE to a standard "cool" person that they are totally incompatible.

No one "cool" wants to be around the guy who hasn't gone out in 2 years, goes to bed at 8pm, doesn't watch TV and wears the same clothes every day and doesn't have a Instagram account or invest a dime in appearance.

No one is going to be attracted to the person who invests all his money into his staffs education programs and hiring excellent engineers. f*ck that guy, lets go find/follow the guy that is investing in bottle service and flying models around in private jets. THAT guy is awesome.

Bill Gates would not of been very fun to follow or watch when he was building Microsoft.

Bill Gates as a result can literally buy platform these fools "are cool on" and delete it as a funny way to spend a Saturday.

But this then leads to the biggest f*ck up this causes

-ME entrepreneurs have sh*t teams and sh*t businesses.

ME, MYSELF, AND I look at me entrepreneurs have no focus outside appearance and themselves. No one great wants to work for these people. No one smart want's be a participant in a some aggrandizing bullshit machine.

Great smart people want to be on a team that is focused on doing great awesome things. They want to be part of a machine that builds the future.

Great leaders ONLY focus is on the the machine they create and the result it gets.

The people , the goal and the systems that enable those people to succeed at crushing that goal are the only thing going through the great leader or lions head.

Every great CEO of companies that gets the best returns is boring by most peoples standards.

They are selfless, they sacrifice, they eat last, they build an environment for other people.

This is repulsive to cool people and bullshitters.

Jeff Bezos didn't eat for decades building Amazon. Most 9 figure tech CEO's don't make money for years and during those years live monk like lives.

Great CEOs and entrepreneur build machines for other people. Their staff and their customers.

They are focused on building the greenhouse that their plant will grow in.

Bullshit entrepreneurs are focused on painting the exterior of the greenhouse to look glorious while everything inside rots.

Thats the thing popular and cool people will never understand about success or winning. This is why they never win and desperately follow people that embody what they think "winning is"

Because they do not understand what a winner truly is or what makes them up they will define winning by bullshit.

Those people that embody their definition of winning thus will be the lords of bullshit. Rotten in every way that matters, but killing it in every way thats doesn't.

And this is the core problem today. We have young entrepreneurs who don't know any better and are actively trying to become lords of bullshit to appeals to the masses of bullshit.

Its not because they are bad people. It's because THIS is the model that they see the most, there for it MUST be the model of success...right?

Go to any marketing event or out for a night and you will see these lords of bullshit. Partying. Appearing cool. Talking. Talking. Talking....and Talking.

Ask them any hard hitting question. Ask them the hard questions about their people, their business, whats important to them. You'll find nothing but rot and talk.

Be popular to your staff and the people that live in the deeply unpopular realm of truth & sacrifice.

Find the people that think its neat and impressive that you worked 72 hours straight and are finding ways to increase your IQ via weird sh*t. Find the people that are amazed with how good you are an hiring cool people and how optimized you've made your life. Find the people that think "weird" is cool.

Focus on getting the nod from the 9 or 10 figure true lions in your industry instead of the 20k likes from the lost masses.

Popular people attract the masses. The masses are attracted to bullshit. Thus in order to be popular you must embody bullshit.

Don't."

50419999_2166912360291518_4707548271134900224_n.jpg

Thanks for this post. It has a lot of info which I can actually see myself applying to my current and future ventures.

"Popular people attract the masses. The masses are attracted to bullshit. Thus in order to be popular you must embody bullshit."

The line above is absolutely gold to me. I'm going to make use of this concept to make bank.

Be the lord of bullshit, give the dumb masses what they want, provide value to them, add value skews to propel yourself ahead of competitors, and laugh all the way to the bank, WHILE the dumb masses thank you and ask for more!

With popularity comes social proof. With social proof, you pretty much have a brand (either personal or biz). With all these, you can sell the masses anything you want and they'll queue 3 days and 2 nights on the streets just to get your product.
Supreme, anyone?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Ive been following Becker for years now, he's what got me into entrepreneurship. Glad to see him moving in this direction. Hes been repeating alot of Sam Oven's advice lately, and this is another example of what Sam has been talking about lately. Good post though.

D.I.Schuyler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 31, 2017
Northern Virginia
Awesome post. I found a lot of truth to it. I often see the B.S Alex was talking about on social media an wonder if this is where entrepreneurship is going now. I see so-called entrepreneurs posting "sexy" pictures of themselves that have nothing to do with business or helping their followers in becoming successful. They are more concerned with looking cute.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
"MUST READ" ?

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
All this coming from a guy who does podcasts with his bright yellow Ferrari as a backdrop. Oh, the irony.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.