The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Well.... Here we go. Very nervous and scared and excited all at the same time. Hands are shaking.

Today marks the beginning of a brand new project for me. One that will hopefully change my life forever.

I've had this idea in the back of my head for awhile now. Only recently I've decided to pursue this new endeavour with everything I have.

It's a HUGE undertaking, one that I was hesitant to pursue. And it will be extremely difficult to pull off.

Now that my small online business is 80% completely automated. I now have the time and resources available to pursue this massive project. AND most importantly, the capital to back it now. Which was the goal for Pixel Prints, to provide a revenue stream for projects such as this. And not to rely on investors capital for the prototype and research process. OR my full-time job income.

I hate to be that person that doesn't divulge any information about my idea/product right away. But I feel that a working prototype of my idea is a better way to illustrate/prove my ideas potential to the community. Plus I need to prove this idea to myself first.

Over the next 3-6 months, maybe more, I'll be working on some prototype models.

Once I feel that I have something decent to show, I'll post my progress and idea to the community.

I have never pursued a task this big before, it will be extremely difficult and require an insane amount of work. But I can't leave this idea on the shelf anymore. I need to put the first piece of the puzzle into place. I have to try otherwise I'll regret it forever.

I'm pretty nervous writing this, mostly due to the fact that it solidifies my dedication to the project. Seeing as I don't like to not finish what I start, or disappoint people. Especially an amazing community like this.

My gut is telling me that I truly have something great here. I just hope my gut is right.

So please be patient with me, and hopefully I'll have something great to share with the community.

In the mean time. Here’s a video ;)

Cheers,

CEO Andrea Guerra comments on Full Year 2012 Record Results - Luxottica

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds exciting, and it also sounds like you are in a position where I want to be - which is, to get one business to a point where it is automated and can fund my other big idea. But of course, one thing at a time, and you have obviously reached that point now to where you are ready to move forward.

Building prototypes can be fun. I built one myself recently, proved the concept to myself and close family, and also filed for a provisional patent on it. I know you don't want to share too many specifics here yet (and that's the same reason I haven't started a thread about my invention yet until the PPA is formal with the USPTO) - but, perhaps you can tell us at least what field of business or market you are going into?

I assume you will also be going the provisional patent route with whatever you are making? If so, feel free to hit me up with some tips on how to write your application and make drawings (I have a 2 year degree in technical drawing for engineering/machining). ;)

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
A few guys who make wooden sunglasses were on Shark Tank recently.

if you haven't seen it.

[video=youtube;oXuCawectq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXuCawectq8[/video]

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Last edited by a moderator:

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
A few guys who make wooden sunglasses were on Shark Tank recently.

if you haven't seen it.

lol I did actually.

gave me some motivation juice.

I don't know if you've seen mdturner's thread on this forum but it sounds like you two are going the same path and could share some ideas and experiences with each other:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/ge...launched-crowdfunding-campaign-indiegogo.html

Ya I had a look at what there doing.

I'm doing something quite differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Ready for the next step in my prototype. I've laid out the foundation for my 3d test models in the computer using Maya and zBrush. Now I'm ready to print out some test prototypes.

After some through research I've decided to purchase this 3D printer.

Type A Machines: Series 1

3 Weeks with the Series 1 3d Printer - YouTube - some examples of the quality.

Type A Machines Forum | View topic - Minigun project - more examples.

This printer seems to be the best for it's price range, which is very affordable for what I need.

If the tests go well, I'll be able to move unto creating Molds for the models and casting a final test prototype with the material I'm creating my sunglasses with.

Just have to wait 4-6 weeks for the printer. While I'm waiting for the printer, I'll be doing test Molds with the material I'll be working with.

I'll let the community see some test prints from the 3d printer when I receive it. Cheers.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
How is Pixel Prints doing? Monthly sales?

Seems like you could scale that quite a bit more before launching into a new area.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Pixel Prints is fine. It's about 80% completely automated. I just update the art every now and then and process orders.

This new project is more important. I'm onto something big here and need to see it through the test phase to prove to myself that my design will work.

If it does, I'll be the only one in the world doing this.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Very cool that you're getting a 3D printer, Vick. Looking forward to hear more when you have it in your hands and can test it.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Development Diary video #1.

A quick video of my progress in 3D software. First part is a simple boxed out mesh, showing the simple mechanics of my idea. The model is crude, but that's ok, the goal at this point is not design but merely to see how the mechanics would hypothetically work. I have a few other ideas for the flex joint system and the lock/release system that I will show later on. This is just one version. With a couple test designs at the end of the vid.

Please note that this video you are seeing is still VERY early in development and all the designs you see are NOT final. These models are simply a starting point for the 3D printer test runs, and to test compounds for the final product, which will be casted in silicon rubber molds.

My product will be made out of a mixed compound of semi-rigid rubbers and casting resins. Again, a lot of experimentation will be needed to find the right rubber compound. The goal is to have a soft 'velvety' rubber that is very strong and flexible. With varying parts of Gloss, Matte and Satin finishes for some nice contrast against design elements and logo's.

The goal of this project is to create a pair of sunglasses that are virtually 'break' proof. By removing the mechanical hinges and creating a 'mono' frame out of a durable rubber compound. In the end, I want to be able to throw these on the ground and STOMP on them multiple times as hard as I can, pick them up and put them back on my face perfectly, without a change in shape. There will be scratches and such, but that's fine, the goal is to create a break proof frame. The great thing about rubber is, that once it's cured in it's 'default' position, it will always bounce back to that default state when flexed.

Also, a plus I'm hoping for is.... Buoyancy in water. A small test proved positive results, however things may change in the final product so 'crossed fingers'

Lens' will be polycarbonate. Which is shatter resistant, it's what they make bullet proof glass out of. There not indestructible, but there damn near close. With all the necessary UV, scratch coatings, polarization, etc.

I have not come up with a name yet. So the project is simply called ProjectX for now.

'616 Eyewear' was the initial name I wanted to use. Because it's the address of my condo and where the idea was birthed. But I can no longer use this name though a simple google search on '616' should show you why. It's a shame too, because the numbers make a really SICK logo and sound awesome. Oh well, wasn't meant to be I guess. I still wanna use numbers for the name though.

more vids to come ;)

cheers,

password: projectXdev01

[video=vimeo;63522636]https://vimeo.com/63522636[/video]

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Some ideas for names. In tarot and astronomy, numbers represent different things. The most down to earth and physical (see: STRONGEST) numbers are below:

1 = INDEPENDENCE, INDIVIDUALITY, ATTAINMENT;
LEADERSHIP, PIONEERING, ADMINISTRATING
4 = SYSTEM AND ORDER, SERVICE, SENSE OF LIMITATION;
MANAGING, HARD-WORKING, PRACTICAL, DOWN-TO-EARTH
8 = MATERIAL SATISFACTION, ACCOMPLISHMENT;
DESIRE FOR SUCCESS, POWER, RECOGNITION

All other numbers really represent spiritual stuff. I figure since your glasses are strong and originally you went with numbers, maybe 148, 184, 841, 814, 418, 481 as numbers may appeal to you.

I also thought of 'Flexiglass' due to the inherent 'give' of rubber. Flextiq you want it to sound expensive and foreign. "Strongwear" is very transparent.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Excellent! thanks for the info Dennis ;)

much appreciated!

I'll look into the Flexiglass. I always just loved the look and feel of rubber, and its bendable. But the market doesnt care about what i love right. So i'm willing to test all applicable compounds.

I like the numbers idea.

EDIT: I was also considering 88 Eyewear

nextgen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 21, 2013
Long Island, NY
Thanks ;).

I won't mass produce these unless they are unbreackable. Period. My goal is set in stone.

Just as a side note I have a family member that is Active Duty military and he goes through sunglasses like crazy. You should once you develop them get them approved by the DOD and then you would open a huge market.

Some ideas for names. In tarot and astronomy, numbers represent different things. The most down to earth and physical (see: STRONGEST) numbers are below:

1 = INDEPENDENCE, INDIVIDUALITY, ATTAINMENT;
LEADERSHIP, PIONEERING, ADMINISTRATING
4 = SYSTEM AND ORDER, SERVICE, SENSE OF LIMITATION;
MANAGING, HARD-WORKING, PRACTICAL, DOWN-TO-EARTH
8 = MATERIAL SATISFACTION, ACCOMPLISHMENT;
DESIRE FOR SUCCESS, POWER, RECOGNITION

All other numbers really represent spiritual stuff. I figure since your glasses are strong and originally you went with numbers, maybe 148, 184, 841, 814, 418, 481 as numbers may appeal to you.

I also thought of 'Flexiglass' due to the inherent 'give' of rubber. Flextiq you want it to sound expensive and foreign. "Strongwear" is very transparent.

Wow I wish I had the ability to come up with names like you.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Just as a side note I have a family member that is Active Duty military and he goes through sunglasses like crazy. You should once you develop them get them approved by the DOD and then you would open a huge market.

we have considered this ;) all in do time. Safety glasses as well.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
One thing that I always seem to have trouble with are lenses popping out. Often times my frames will be ok, but the lenses will come out, and then are very difficult to put back in. How are you planning to handle this?

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
i have a couple ideas. one involves an easy pop-in pop-out system. of course the downside is that the frame thickness around the lenses will have to be substantial. i'll show details in the future.

if it works. i want to offer an additional set of backup/alternate colors and gradient shades of lenses with our final 'boxed' package. this way the customer can have different lens to switch in and out as they feel, and of course come back to us to buy different colors, etc.

LibertyForMe

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
That sounds pretty good, I like the idea of having swappable lenses.

I really think that this product would work well with fishermen. Durable, floating, swappable lenses, that is a perfect recipe for sportsmen. You would just need to make sure you had a selection of polarized lenses. Not sure if you knew, but anglers often buy special sunglasses just to get different colored lenses. Lense colors evidently affect how well you can see into the water in different weather conditions. A different color may be used for cloudy days, sunny days, etc. If you offered an all weather pack, specifically marketed to outdoorsmen, you could probably do pretty well.

I guess you have to get a working prototype before we worry about marketing though....haha.

Edit: Here is a link showing you how fishermen think: http://www.westernbass.com/forum/best-color-lenses-for-polarized-sunglasses-for-fishing-t40032.html

Last edited:

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
Oakley already offers a swappable lenses system.

I like the design, is very "strong" looking. Good luck and keep us updated!

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
That sounds pretty good, I like the idea of having swappable lenses.

I really think that this product would work well with fishermen. Durable, floating, swappable lenses, that is a perfect recipe for sportsmen. You would just need to make sure you had a selection of polarized lenses. Not sure if you knew, but anglers often buy special sunglasses just to get different colored lenses. Lense colors evidently affect how well you can see into the water in different weather conditions. A different color may be used for cloudy days, sunny days, etc. If you offered an all weather pack, specifically marketed to outdoorsmen, you could probably do pretty well.

I guess you have to get a working prototype before we worry about marketing though....haha.

Edit: Here is a link showing you how fishermen think: best color lenses for polarized sunglasses for fishing? : Northern CA General - Westernbass.com

Holy crap! That's so interesting. This is a Goldmine!

The glasses can be sold under a separate brand specifically for fishermen and it would EXPLODE. I can see millions of pairs sold, in ONE INDUSTRY. You'd get so much coverage it makes me jealous.

LibertyForMe

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Holy crap! That's so interesting. This is a Goldmine!

The glasses can be sold under a separate brand specifically for fishermen and it would EXPLODE. I can see millions of pairs sold, in ONE INDUSTRY. You'd get so much coverage it makes me jealous.

I know, right? If any of you guys have questions about the fishing industry, let me know. I have a bit of experience in that realm. Anyway, we don't want to de-rail Vick's awesome thread, so just PM me or something. Vick, keep us posted man, we are excited for you!

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Vick,

Good stuff there! 3D printing is crazy. For the name of the product, check out this book: (yes it is an affiliate link for amazon but i have bought this book myself and am not trying to get a bunch of sales by linking shit in forums - here is non-affiliate link.:smxB:).

It gives you some solid info on naming a brand for your product and why it is SO important for the long term success of it. Good luck and look forward to hearing updates.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
That book (22 Immutable Laws of Branding) is very good. I just started reading it this week and already got some good ideas, and do's and don'ts. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.