The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Innovating Medical Equipment for Fastlane

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Stumbled across these crutches this morning

For those who want to innovate / invent, there's a lot of medical products that haven't changed much over the years.

...what other medical equipment might be modified to make life a little easier?

Maybe buy some of the products that exist and see what their limitations are.

What do they stop you or hinder you from doing? How can you fix that?

What makes them uncomfortable or ugly? How can you fix that?

Tech INSIDERS - New Design for Crutches

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
There are some significant barriers to entry:

Depending on the type of product, it may require FDA pre-marketing approval, which can be a major cost.

Suppliers incur enormous liability for design and/or manufacturing defects.

The profit potential seems enormous, though. Durable goods such as what the OP is talking about (crutches, canes, walkers, support hose, arm braces, shoulder braces, etc.) seem to be stratospherically priced just because they are medical/healthcare products.

Worth negotiating the barriers to entry.

I suspect that there will always be a market for products for improving sleep quality.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I keep having this stupid silly idea of improving leading sticks for the blind.... is that really the best way to guide people? What if there was a ball or something like that at the bottom so they could leave the stick to the ground at all the time and could make it a longer (and shorter) if they wanted to.

Meh, this is just one of the ideas that pop into my mind when I am in my own world.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Recently I went to an event where entrepreneurs pitched to financiers (many of the sponsors were banks). It was the second year I went and I was surprised with how good some of the ideas were.

One group did exactly what the title of this thread is...

They innovated existing medical equipment and eventually won either first or second place (tens of thousands of dollars and professional accounting, legal, etc services). One of the guys said himself that the company will have a whole suite of products for medical equipment and the two they pitched were only their current flagships. I'm sure they're going to do very well because they had a team of seriously smart guys (yes, with advanced degrees too) and products that are already used but better.

One of the upcoming classes I'm looking forward to the most is Product Innovation. From what I heard the entire semester we develop products and pitch them. I'm hoping my fastlane or at least one fo them is spawned because of that class. :nailbiting:

P.S. If any lurkers or members think we went to the same event (country club, northern California) PM me, please! I had to leave early so I didn't get anyone's contact information. :(

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
There are some significant barriers to entry:
You pretty much nailed it for the most part. Huge potential liability, FDA scrutiny, FTC scrutiny, a plethora of hoops to jump through to accept insurance in its various forms (private, Medicare, Medicade) for DME and the like.

But there's also an ominous giant that you overlooked that has a tendency to obliterate competition and innovation from a huge position of power: the GPO's. Here's an old article, but an interesting look at how these multi-billion dollar juggernauts operate. It's not pretty for the budding competitors, particularly since these companies have consolidated to the point of almost monopolization, and when you control the bulk of the orders and logistics for a majority of the country's medical facilities by means of stringent contractual buying agreements with harsh penalties(and even worse, if they cut off these facilities to medical supplies), it makes it FAR more difficult.

http://www.alternet.org/story/14821...ompanies_are_getting_away_with_rip-off_prices

So yeah, you could say there are some significant barriers to entry. Not even going to dig into the capital requirements.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
You pretty much nailed it for the most part. Huge potential liability, FDA scrutiny, FTC scrutiny, a plethora of hoops to jump through to accept insurance in its various forms (private, Medicare, Medicade) for DME and the like.

But there's also an ominous giant that you overlooked that has a tendency to obliterate competition and innovation from a huge position of power: the GPO's. Here's an old article, but an interesting look at how these multi-billion dollar juggernauts operate. It's not pretty for the budding competitors, particularly since these companies have consolidated to the point of almost monopolization, and when you control the bulk of the orders and logistics for a majority of the country's medical facilities by means of stringent contractual buying agreements with harsh penalties(and even worse, if they cut off these facilities to medical supplies), it makes it FAR more difficult.

http://www.alternet.org/story/14821...ompanies_are_getting_away_with_rip-off_prices

So yeah, you could say there are some significant barriers to entry. Not even going to dig into the capital requirements.

Capital requirements can likely be covered with crowdfunding.

Unless we're talking complex medical equipment it can probably be sold direct to customer and skip the hospital.

Here's an example of crutches.

I dunno anything about the FDA though. For the right entrepreneur it could be worth a look.

I was thinking more in terms of smaller less complex items like knee braces, finger splints, things of that nature.

Recently I bought a knee brace on Amazon. It sucks. Slides down my leg every time I run. Somehow it has a lot of good reviews.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Capital requirements can likely be covered with crowdfunding.

Unless we're talking complex medical equipment it can probably be sold direct to customer and skip the hospital.

Here's an example of crutches.

I dunno anything about the FDA though. For the right entrepreneur it could be worth a look.

I was thinking more in terms of smaller less complex items like knee braces, finger splints, things of that nature.

Recently I bought a knee brace on Amazon. It sucks. Slides down my leg every time I run. Somehow it has a lot of good reviews.

If you keep it simple - knee braces, crutches, what are called "durable goods" within the healthcare industry, I think there are opportunities for fastlane entrepreneurs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.