The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Inmigrating to the US?

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hey guys! How are you today?

Today I was discussing with my family the idea of leaving behind our country, Argentina, to go live to the US seeking for better life conditions. We don't have a bad life here, but we just really like the states and we want a change. We are a family of 4: my 60 year old dad, 49 year old mom, 12 year old brother and 20 year old me.
Here, we have 3 big properties that overall would yield 800k if we would sell them. Plus the cars, and everything extra from our house that we could sell, we would have approximately 1m to spend.

I was suggesting them to invest that money on several different properties that would cash flow so that they could live passively the rest of their lives.
option 1) invest all without loans and live with the cashflow of rents
option 2) ask a loan and buy more apartments paying itself with the rents

Still I'm no real estate expert. So I don't know if something like this is possible. But I'm just looking to give them a better life so they can live passively. Right now my dad is still working for himself selling Gaming stuff, not earning a lot, living stressed. My mom working the morning on a small business she has but also not being happy overall with her life.

As for me, I think USA has much more opportunities than Argentina in terms of entrepreneurship. And it was always one of my dreams to live in the states.

What do you think of this plan?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
why don't you do this in Argentina first?there you know the housing market, te laws etc
and after that you can go to the US and rent a place.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
we have 3 big properties that overall would yield 800k if we would sell them. Plus the cars, and everything extra from our house that we could sell, we would have approximately 1m to spend.
Right now my dad is still working for himself selling Gaming stuff, not earning a lot, living stressed. My mom working the morning on a small business she has but also not being happy overall with her life.

Sounds like you are living way above your means. I'd fix that first.

UncleIroh

1079252849 kph
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Oct 20, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sounds like you are living way above your means. I'd fix that first.
Thanks for your answer, it got me thinking. Some backstory. Keep in mind I'm not the decision maker.

We have been doing some calculations and it is actually lower than 1m. The two cars together are worth something like 30k. And the extra appliances, stuff, would be something like 20k.

Although what you say is true. My family spends a lot on useless stuff. I always complain, but after all is the money they earn. I explain them about the sidewalk but they still think they are right.

Both my parents businesses together earn a little less than 10k monthly. That is upper middle class for here. Still the last 15 years my parents they had it rough because first my grandma got sick with alzheimer (12 years of ilness, my mom refused to take her to a retirement home, really expensive, ate up half their salary) and now that is finally over, rip, my other grandma has been sick for 3 years (again half their salary for this.)

We have two apartments, one ours that my parents bought on a 18 month mortgage for 100k when they were young. Has appreciated to 250k. And on the same building, my grandmas apartment that can also be sold for 250k. Plus, my mom's business which can be sold for a little over 300k which was bought by her dad.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
What makes you think that immigrating to the US will give you a better life ? USA isn't the land of milk and honey.

If I were you, I would start a business in your country and think of moving after one or more successful ventures. It will be more easy for you to move. There are still opportunities in your country.

DiamondDog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Dec 3, 2016
Why don't you start a business in the US from Argentina? At least for a little while until your biz starts making decent money, and then you move to the US.

Just an idea :)

VDon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Jul 27, 2016
1 million dollars most likely won't buy you enough property to generate a decent (passive) income for a family of four.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
@UncleIroh The principal owner in the startup I work for is a British national complete with an Ivy League education that lives in an 800k house with his family and has put 2.5M into the company over the last 4 years. With all that, we recently got a company visit from ICE complete with some bald douchebag with a vest under his shirt.

I'm not a lawyer or an expert, but, for whatever reason my good old USSA makes every effort to make it difficult for people who put their money on the line and really want to become Americans. Make sure you seek the counsel of a good attorney and make other trips here to make sure it won't turn rotten for you.

As an American, I'm truly sorry it's such a clusterfuck to come here with money and good intentions, but that's where we are. Caveat Emptor.

TonyFish6379

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Feb 27, 2016
Kuwait
@UncleIrohcompany visit from ICE complete with some bald douchebag with a vest under his shirt.
As an American, I'm truly sorry it's such a clusterfuck to come here with money and good intentions, but that's where we are. Caveat Emptor.

Well Said. (Actually made me laugh out loud when I read this)
It is ridiculous.
I experience this often living abroad.
The perception that America is the land of dreams coming true.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.