The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Independent divisions of S-corp

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
I have an S-corp, of which I am the only employee. My CPA suggested that I should make my 2 new websites (which have nothing to do with the SC) divisions of the SC to avoid self-employment tax on the websites' revenue. Is that a good plan? Is there anything I need to look out for? Do I need to fire my CPA?

On the personal side, is it smart to make next month's mortgage payment late this year, and to go ahead and pay property taxes? I've heard both; would do the experts think?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I have an S-corp, of which I am the only employee. My CPA suggested that I should make my 2 new websites (which have nothing to do with the SC) divisions of the SC to avoid self-employment tax on the websites' revenue. Is that a good plan? Is there anything I need to look out for? Do I need to fire my CPA?

This is a great way to avoid Self-Employment. As long as there isn't any additional liability from adding these different "divisions" under one S Corp, it should be fine.

On the personal side, is it smart to make next month's mortgage payment late this year, and to go ahead and pay property taxes? I've heard both; would do the experts think?

Thank you.

Two different answers, because the real answer is "It Depends!"

Two things: (1) Do you itemize? (If not, doesn't matter either way) and (2) Are you subject to AMT this year? If you are - postpone the prop tax and state income tax estimated payment because it won't help. If you're not, prepay.

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
Thank you, Diane. There shouldn't be any liabilities, and I am not subject to AMT.

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
Thank you.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Is there a quick and dirty way to figure out if you will be subject to AMT?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.